Thank you for the add - Need your help!

herdftblfan

So I've been researching all things chameleon for about 18 months. I wanted to make sure I was in the position to provide a good quality home. With a job change this year that has me now working primarily from home, I thought this is the perfect time. So fast forward to yesterday, a friend who is on the BOD at the local humane society says someone dropped a chameleon, cage, etc. All the humane society knows is that he/she is 7-8 months old, is tame and has a healthy appetite for crickets. Knowing I've been looking, he asked if I had interest and I of course said yes.

So . . . I'm picking him/her up tomorrow, working on buying a new cage, etc. etc. etc. But, while I assume he/she is a Veiled, I don't 100% know so I wanted to post the pic. my friend sent and get your thoughts? Can you help a guy out?

Any other input you have is appreciated.

Chameleon 1.JPG

Hi and welcome! :) As @AmandaS said, she looks very gravid and will need a lay bin provided immediately. Including a graphic on lay bins. Any plastic bin that is at least 12x12” (larger is great) and with at least 8” depth is perfect. You’ll fill it to about 6” deep with play sand that is moist enough to hold a tunnel. Provide her with ways to get in/out. Once she enters the bin and starts digging, cover the visible parts of her enclosure. It’s important she doesn’t see you watching. The whole process can take 1-2 days. You’ll know she’s done when she’s covered her tunnel and is sitting on a branch basking and looking much thinner.
It’s impossible to know what you may need help on and what you already know. The only way I can think to better determine this is to have you answer the help questions with what you are planning on doing and providing. So here’s the questions...copy & paste with your answers & someone can look it over and help. :)
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
DA9210CE-52C7-4831-A4E9-8C7C5E5E2A91.jpeg

• Your Chameleon - Female veiled. Age appc. 7-9 months. Not yet in my care (picking up 4/15/21).
  • Handling - Picking her up 4/15/21. THis all just came about in the last 24 hours. She was dropped at the shelter.
  • Feeding - TBD. Considering the circumstances, input is appreciated.
  • Supplements - TBD. Considering the circumstances, input is appreciated.
  • Watering - TBD. Considering the circumstances, input is appreciated.
  • Fecal Description - TBD. Considering the circumstances, input is appreciated.
  • History - TBD. The shelter knows next to nothing.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Appears to be a small screen enclosure with plastic plants. Will order a nicer, newer screened enclosure ASAP. Links appreciated.
  • Lighting - TBD. Considering the circumstances, input is appreciated.
  • Temperature - TBD. Considering the circumstances, input is appreciated.
  • Humidity - TBD. Considering the circumstances, input is appreciated.
  • Plants - I will be.
  • Placement - It will be in my office. Not near an air vent but there is a ceiling fan. Room stays about 72 degrees 24/7.
  • Location - Davidson, NC (near Charlotte)

Current Problem - Chameleon dropped at shelter yesterday. Female with eggs. Eating crickets while at the shelter. That's about all I know so far. My plan is to pick her up, get her situated, provide an egg lay in her current cage so as to no stress her as much.

Soooo....this is a lot to cover.

You'll want a 2x2x4 enclosure. T5ho 5.0 or 6% long linear light. You will want to feed a variety of insects, graphic will be attached. Supplements should be calcium with no d3 at every feeding beside 2 times a month, you'll want to use reptivite with d3. (This is how i do it. You could also do a calcium with with d3 2 times a month, alternating with a multivitamin 2 times a month.) You want to feed her 3 feeders 3 days a week that have been gutloaded with fresh veggies and fruit. Also, her temperature should be 80° at basking, and cooler from there. The humidity should be 30-50% during the day, and a large spike (as close to 100% as you can get) at night. I use a fogger to accomplish this during the coolest parts of the night...from midnight-4am.

Attachments

• chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 86
  • chameleon-gutload (1).jpg
    chameleon-gutload (1).jpg
    188 KB · Views: 78
  • D6D4D2C9-C897-4AE5-B8B0-E33D5F238C75.jpeg
    D6D4D2C9-C897-4AE5-B8B0-E33D5F238C75.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 81
  • AA3AB99C-5E76-42EB-9A16-FB39CFEA51AD.jpeg
    AA3AB99C-5E76-42EB-9A16-FB39CFEA51AD.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Oh, I'm sure I'll have a ton over the next few days.

I do wonder . . . this is going to be a huge change for her. I am sure it already is and she's probably traumatized. Would it be better to put her in a quiet room for now until she adjusts any hopefully lays her eggs rather than in my office with me?

I am concerned for her health so I want to make sure I do everything I can to set her up properly. I will also makes some calls tomorrow try and find a qualified vet.

Yes, I would place her in a quiet, low traffic room. But you also want to put her where you're going to keep her....its a lot to move around. When you get her enclosure set up you can cover the bottom half of her enclosure with a blanket or something so she has privacy, but make sure to leave a small gap at the bottom for airflow.

This right now is one of the most important times in chameleon keeping. This is when you will learn most of your facts and care taking tips. You will learn a lot away but the more research you do the better of your Cham will do if you go to the right sources of course. Please do not hesitate to ask questions we are happy to help.

For economy, I like this however they are currently sold out. https://www.diycages.com/collection...umbo-vertical-screen-cage?variant=35995105933
A ReptiBreeze XL is similar and available at a variety of places. https://www.joshsfrogs.com/zoo-med-reptibreeze-aluminum-screen-cage-x-large-24x24x48.html
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptibreeze-aluminum-screen-cages.html
At Pangea or Josh’s frogs, you should be able to get some other things such as your T5 ho light with uvb bulb. Josh’s also has feeders available that aren’t commonly found in local stores.
Do avoid fake plants as veileds eat their plants and have been known to eat fake leaves, which can be a serious problem. Pothos are great!
For misting, a cheap spray bottle set to the finest mist will suffice, or you could get a pressurized one for finer mist. To go automated, Mist King is what many of us prefer. You’ll want to mist 2-3 times a day for at least 2 minutes each time. Don’t worry if you don’t see her drink. Many are very secretive about drinking. Some use drippers during midday instead of a misting. This can be as simple as a plastic party cup with a thumbtack hole in the bottom.
You’ll want to fill all empty space with branches and vines of varied diameters...more little roads for her to travel. Dragon Ledges are awesome when it comes to hanging plants, branches and vines. https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/
If you haven’t already noticed, we use a fair amount of info from https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ It’s perhaps the most comprehensive, correct and current site on chameleon keeping. Another great resource is Neptune the Chameleon on YouTube. I can’t forget about https://caskabove.com/ too.
Of course, many of us enjoy helping others to get everything set up so ask as many questions as you need.

I was able to find the ReptiBreeze cage and ordered through Amazon. I did not yet order lights as I do know she has a few things coming with her. I did order crickets and roaches along with both supplements from Josh's Frogs. Considering the circumstances, I had them overnighted.

Can I get a little more input on feeding?

As I understand it:
  • Three crickets/roaches three times per week
  • Dusted with calcium w/out D3
  • Twice a month we substitute calcium dusting with Reptivite w/D3. When you say twice a month, do you mean two days or every other week?
  • What about fruits and vegetables? I see the guide but what about frequency?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom