Terrible Gas Prolapse (waiting at Vet ER now)

ASobbleMom

Hey all,

I am at the vet now with My 10-month old panther, Ryan.

He was FINE this afternoon, but around 6pm he went towed the bottom of his enclosure to poop, which is normal for him, and somehow induced a HORRIBLE prolapse, with gas and poop visible in there I haven't seen any photos like this online, so I wanted to share.

Background: Ryan has been very healthy, no problems, I have a nice cage setup and mister and lights on digital wifi timers...no data there has been unusual. His diet and appetite has been great, I raise my own silks and dubias and always dust lightly.

The only thing I did differently that must have set him off and made him strain so hard his bowels are grotesquely protruding, is: I WATERED HIS PLANTS.

Right after I saw this, of course our two local herp vets had just closed. I called two more that were open til 7 or 8, but with no herp vet there at the time. Then I called four of the closest emergency vets that all take reptiles, and three of them didn't have their herp vet on call tonight! So we are at the one that did.

I also texted our wonderful breeder Brian and Gram's Chams and he got right back to me with great advice about reducing the swelling with sugar water and lubricating the area, which the vet said was perfect to do. If you are reading this, Thank you, Brian!!!

The sugar water (I couldn't really soak him so I just poured warm water over his rear end) seemed to help quite a bit, but not enough.

For the vet, I did ask them about their Cham knowledge, if they knew how sensitive they are and what the procedure is to get him seen and checked on quickly (it's a very busy night tonight at the vet). They seemed to be fairly experienced enough to make me feel good about coming here.

I also gave the triage nurse a laundry bin with a fecal sample I showed her, a heat lamp and anti-move spring clips, various lengths of bamboo and some zip-tied smaller branches, my reptile spray bottle, Neosporin, Mason jar if sugar, kitchen gloves, two tea towels, and other stuff I was using. Probably all but the first three things didn't need to go in with him, but I gave her everything, just in case!

Wish us luck at the vet. I'm in the car and Ryan is in triage. Anyone ever seen anything like this? Any additional advice?

Attachments

• PXL_20210930_223257821.jpg
    PXL_20210930_223257821.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 190
  • PXL_20210930_223327160.jpg
    PXL_20210930_223327160.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 198
  • PXL_20210930_223723403.jpg
    PXL_20210930_223723403.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 195
  • PXL_20211001_013051262.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211001_013051262.MP.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 191
Thanks everyone. The good news is he's stable, probably needs surgery. The bad news is no one at this vet can do it until Monday. They referred me to Tufts in Mass... I called there and nobody can do him there any time soon, And they referred me to Angell in Boston (been there with my cat) And they have two reptile vets coming in at 8:00 a.m. That might be the best place to take him but I also have my two local vets that will be open in the morning. I'm going to call around because I don't want to blindly drive somewhere only to be turned away and waste valuable time (it's at least 2 hrs from me, more with morning rush hour).

Right now vet is still soaking and lubing him in prep for discharge, giving him sub q fluids and a teensy bit of injectable Medicam. He is 144g. She is also going to give me my fecal sample back because apparently she thinks it's best to send it to the exotics lab and she doesn't know how to order that, the vet that comes Monday does. This event also mentioned this kind of thing can happen as they sexually mature. She recommended I neuter him at the same time as surgery...i guess this can be a thing?

Oh, And before this vet realized the exotic vet won't be in until Monday they started an estimate: 3 - 5k. I'm hoping it will be cheaper elsewhere!

Ugggh I really hope this gets easier and he pulls through.

@MissSkittles is absolutely right...that type of surgery can't wait. If the tissue dries out it will become necrotic/die and I'm not sure what they will be able to do then.

K-Y jelly is the best lubricant to keep the tissue moist until the surgery is over.

He needs to be put under to do the surgery because it's painful. Usually a purse string suture is needed to keep things from popping out again after it's been put back.

I'm not a vet so I can't tell you if there is areas in for neutering him at the same time or not.

I would give him softer food for a while after the surgery too so it is easier to pass.

What supplements are you using and how often for each. Please be specific...especially about the calcium, phos, D3 and form of vitamin A.

Has he ever had MBD?

:eek::eek::oops: Poor guy, hopefully everything will work out just fine for him and you🙏🙏🙏🍀

(What insane prices 😡, Assuming they would charge $120.00-150.00 an hour and surgery would take max. 4 hours, how can they charge you 3-5K??!! unbelieveable)

That's a very bad prolapse. I doubt your watering the plants scared that out of him. It is lucky you saw it happen. Your getting him in there fast was very smart. That isn't something you can fix at home. The sugar water and KY are good first aid to do while you get an appointment.

The cost is probably based on the emergency fee, the amount of anesthesia (prices on that have gone up) by length of the surgery, the surgeons and assistants time and after care, injections etc. Prices used to be less to treat exotics and rodents but it isn't an affordable way to do business as they take up the same or more supplies and time to treat as standard pets.

The cost is probably based on the emergency fee, the amount of anesthesia (prices on that have gone up) by length of the surgery, the surgeons and assistants time and after care, injections etc. Prices used to be less to treat exotics and rodents but it isn't an affordable way to do business as they take up the same or more supplies and time to treat as standard pets.
Unbelievable those prizes :oops: I don´t think it would be that expensive over here, and then I think 90% of the keepers can´t effort it, those poor animals don´t even get a chance :(

1. You're willing to pay more
2.You expect more
3 Drugs cost more
4. More Regulations
5 Fear of Lawsuits
6. Fewer Veterinarians in Some Geographic locals
Thank you google :)
JMO Here in the US I would figure #5 is the big issue with 1 being another. I have known people to put surgeries on the Credit Cards...

We do what we can to save a family member. Shhhhhh I might not spot my siblings the same as I do for my pets.. Lucky for me, I have not had to make that choice. (y) ;)

I know, and the whole health system is totally different in the US, that’s a thing I’m not used to. Same as a credit card, we only use it for holidays or bookings and by the end of month we pay our debit. So a credit card is for us just another bank card.

Also understand why they’re doing this (IMHO taking disadvantage of peoples loyalty to a family member) however I believe some professions you choice because you wanna help, doing it for the better good and money is just collateral.
Point #5 I also understand, still you can make arrangements. If you’re not confident enough in your skills, then make it a win-win situation, it’s your learning curve towards their risk, for an minimum spend, only cost price for the vet, non-profit.

Enough of this! This case is so critical I don’t wanna make it even worst. I hope everything comes to a good end for Ryan, poor guy.

Last edited:
Wishing the best for Ryan. Thanks so much for sharing the photos of him and your experiences and getting him quick vet care.

Your experience is making me realize I need to invest in pet insurance (we have the option to do nationwide thru my work, which others have spoken highly of here in the forums). It really sucks that the surgery costs so much. I never want to be in a position where I can't help a pet pull through due to financial constraints.

Wishing the best for Ryan. Thanks so much for sharing the photos of him and your experiences and getting him quick vet care.

Your experience is making me realize I need to invest in pet insurance (we have the option to do nationwide thru my work, which others have spoken highly of here in the forums). It really sucks that the surgery costs so much. I never want to be in a position where I can't help a pet pull through due to financial constraints.
Could someone explain pet insurance? I’m still a little confused on it, it sounds like a good option though.

Back
Top Bottom