Termites on new cage!! What to do?

Mesnik

Well, you can take a look in my gallery for pics of my custom made cage... It was good until it lasted...

I found dust mounds at the bottom of the cage, and sure enough, they are in almost every wood.

I have a picture of the enemy attached.

Has anyone have this problem before? I guess the larvae must have been inside in one of the vines and decided to wake up.

I guess I will have to take the whole thing apart and... burn it?

Poor Izzy will have to go through a move again, and then again once the new one is ready...

What a pain in the neck!!!

I am VERY open to suggestions... since I am so mad that I cannot even start thinking!!!

Thanks for listening

Roberto

Attachments

• IsItaTermite.jpg
    IsItaTermite.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 154
If you live somewhere hot just put it outside. Termites dry out very quick. You can also take it apart and bake it.

Well, I am in Michigan so it is not that hot... how would I go about baking it? Just through in the stove (when wife is not looking, off course!)? And at what temp so not to catch it on fire?

Thanks for taking the time!!!

So what do I do? Cause I see lots of holes and dust mounds...

The biggest concern is when these lovely creatures decide to use my wooden floor and/or other furniture for their larvae depot!!!

Maybe you could seal up a room/garage with the empty cage inside and set off a few flea bombs. The vapor should kill them.

So you think that somehow treating the wood with those "bombs" or spray, would not contaminate the wood to the point where when the cage is back together and the mist goes off, it will not harm the cham?

Well depending on the product and following the instructions I would definitely air out the cage for several days and wash it down completely several times. I assumed the wood had a stain or clear coat on it. Otherwise, your right the wood might absorb the chemicals.:(

You can bake at 200 degrees for 15 minutes. Is it in the wood that makes up your cage or just your grapevines and wood inside the cage?

Luckily they are still in the grape vines (decor) and NOT in the cage frame!!

The two back panes that have all the vines attached are screwed on to the frame, so I can easily take that appart.

I will have to strip the foam with coconut fiber to get the wood off, but that is okay - I am already over that. For sure I am NOT doing this foam AGAIN! It looks awesome but it is A LOT of work.

nope bad idea, you can't treat the wood they are in, depending on how many larvae are actually in the wood, you just have to let them hatch out...they dont' do any damage to teh wood other then when they bore out to hatch

Well, today was beetle attack day.

I removed all the branches (10) that were nicely nested in the "great stuff", burnt three pieces that had bunch of holes in it, and baked the rest (shhhhhh, don't tell my wife!!!) in the stove at 300 C for 50 minutes.

Hopefuly they are gone.

So, Murray, are you saying that the holes are actually the beetle that was a larvae, and he is coming out? So they will not poke a hole again?

Any way, I repositioned the branches, more great stuff and yes, coconut fiber.

All and all not too bad.

But lessons learned: definetely take care of the bugs before adding the wood!!

Let me know Murray. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom