Tempting Fate?

Pretty lizards. This is the first I’ve heard of them. Wonder why they aren’t popular?

They were the "water dragons" in late 80's early 90's in the pet shops. But just like high maintenance water dragons, the cones were "tree dragons". They were know to just randomly stop eating. In my books they were noted as "so dumb they will forget how to eat".

Pretty lizards. This is the first I’ve heard of them. Wonder why they aren’t popular?
They are pretty IMHO...they have a good demeanour as a rule too. They're part of the group called Corytophanidae...aka helmeted iguanas or forest chameleons...which includes 3 species of corytophanes...one of my other favorite lizards.

I don't know why they weren't/aren't more popular.

They were the "water dragons" in late 80's early 90's in the pet shops. But just like high maintenance water dragons, the cones were "tree dragons". They were know to just randomly stop eating. In my books they were noted as "so dumb they will forget how to eat".
Water dragons are high maintenance? I kept them too...and they were easier than chameleons.

Never had a cone head stop eating on me either. I don't think they are particularly dumb either. I thought they were rather peaceful and full of thought/observation. They could figure things out.

Those look different to me than the ones in posts 9 & 18.
Wiki says Corytophanes hernandesii is a helmeted basilisk.

Wiki also says genus Laemanctus are commonly referred to as conehead lizards.

I'm befused. :confused:

Both laemanctus and corytophanes are corytophanidae....even though they look so different.
Laemanctus are cone heads and corytophanes are helmeted iguanas or forest chameleons.
There are...I think...3 species of forest chameleons...2 of which are egg layers and one is a live bearer.
Laemanctus...I think... are all egg layers but one species might reproduce by parthenogenesis.
I say "I think" about some of the things because there may be more species/subspecies of them since I studied them...and I'm not sure about the parthenogenesis having been proven.

@Klyde O'Scope ...sorry that I derailed your original topic.
I'll quit now. 😟

Last edited:
Wait till you get into "fence lizards". Yup its a lizard on a fence...
Fence lizards, I know—Eastern & Western, and only the Western has the blood factor that kills Lyme Disease. They're on my 'also rans' list. I've got an offer from someone on another forum to send me some, but I'm not currently in a position...

Both laemanctus and corytophanes are corytphanidae....even though they look so different.
Laemanctus are cone heads and corytophanes are helmeted iguanas or forest chameleons.
There are...I think...3species of forest chameleons...2 of which are egg layers and one is a live bearer.
Laemanctus...I think... are all egg layers but one species might reproduce by parthenogenesis.
I say "I think" about some of the things because there may be more species/subspecies of them since I studied them...and I'm not sure about the parthenogenesis having been proven.

@Klyde O'Scope ...sorry that I derailed your original topic.
I'll quit now. 😟
Your WHAT hurts? (What we used to say in college when we couldn't understand the speaker. It's not you—it's me. I'm trying to multitask too many things here, and it's not going well. 😔)

Back
Top Bottom