possible Respiratory infection Please help

jackthejellydragon

Avid Member
Hi my I think my male veiled might have a RI. His humidity is always too high and the mister hits his basking spot a little bit. So I just saw him put his nose up open his mouth puff up and wheeze. It was also not an aggressive gape. I did just feed him a big hornworm so that might be why because I have seen him do it before after eating things sometimes if they are big but still this time he put his head up and it was just different. I care about him more than you could imagine. I think I caught it pretty early I think because he is not bubbling and his saliva is normal. What should I do, I did just order a muffin fan and dehumidifier that will be here tomorrow. Should I hold off on misting for a little bit and run his dripper extra. He has never gone to the vet and I have had him for about three months and most of my care is pretty good. What should I do? I feel bad like I have not given him proper care though I have spent hundreds of hours on YouTube and forums just doing research and reading. My parents don't really want to take a lizard to the vet but if I should I will. If there is any way I could stop it now at home that would be nice.How much do you think it will cost too. I am sooooooo worried.??

Yeah so I gave him the hornworm five minutes later I turn his mister on he starts to go to his spot when the water come on then immediately does the thing not under his basking spot. I don't think it was the hornworm and I think it was the possible RI.

I have fed 1 hornworm that was too big when I was new... It took Beman about 10 minutes to get through with trying to get it down. His nose was up and I could see the gular flexing to pull it down. From that point on I feed much smaller then most. Beman is full grown but gets nothing bigger then an inch and a half.

Per your misting and Humidity. misting during the day when heat lamp is on and the cage is hot is not really recommended due to it upping humidity levels and creating hot moist air. It should be done in the morning when lights first turn on and then in the evening.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-naturalistic-hydration/
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-89-naturalistic-hydration-for-chameleons/

I have fed 1 hornworm that was too big when I was new... It took Beman about 10 minutes to get through with trying to get it down. His nose was up and I could see the gular flexing to pull it down. From that point on I feed much smaller then most. Beman is full grown but gets nothing bigger then an inch and a half.

Per your misting and Humidity. misting during the day when heat lamp is on and the cage is hot is not really recommended due to it upping humidity levels and creating hot moist air. It should be done in the morning when lights first turn on and then in the evening.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-naturalistic-hydration/
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-89-naturalistic-hydration-for-chameleons/
Yeah I fed him a like 2 in a half inch one. I do mist in the morning and when lights go off.

Just to put your mind at ease... having mist with basking light on isn't going to cause an RI unless you have no airflow. Sure I agree, you don't want it super humid and hot. I have been misting in the morning for a couple years now and I prefer this just because it is more natural to the cham and they seem to like it more. Other than that I had been misting basking light on, so was everyone else for a long time. I never saw an RI on this forum by people that had good care and enclosures. Petr has really freaked out the cham world hasn't he lol

Yeah I fed him a like 2 in a half inch one. I do mist in the morning and when lights go off.
Isnt your guy younger? 2.5 inch long horn is a really big horn. I would watch him and see if you see any sign of RI> I am really wondering if this was due to the horn being too large and him struggling to get it down.

Read the link and listen to the podcast... :) It will give you details on hydration cycle.

Isnt your guy younger? 2.5 inch long horn is a really big horn. I would watch him and see if you see any sign of RI> I am really wondering if this was due to the horn being too large and him struggling to get it down.

Read the link and listen to the podcast... :) It will give you details on hydration cycle.
It was long but skinny. I will for sure watch the podcast by the way. I ordered them on josh frogs and it said they would be half inch, it they were like 2 inches when they came. :cautious: ??

Back
Top Bottom