Tempting Fate?

Klyde O'Scope

Chameleon Enthusiast
I just opened GP's enclosure to check things out, and as usual, he lunged for me, gaping (it's his thing).
I usually laugh him off, calling him the 'big scary lizard, but today... IDK—a thought just popped into my head.

Knowing full well I may be risking a bite, I stuck out my finger, touched his chin and closed his mouth. :p

No bite, but I've never seen both eyes dart around in all directions so fast. Maybe he didn't see the finger, and was looking for whatever closed his mouth(?)—IDK. It struck us (Missus & self) both funny, and we cracked up. :LOL:

Anyone else ever done anything that totally disarmed/flabbergasted their chams?

The Big Scary Lizard doing his morning 'puff-up'.​

1636389443087.png

"love headbutts" They dont really want o bite you, they just really wish you were not there.
:ROFLMAO: I could easily accept that if it weren't that he knows I'm his only avenue to the plant table.

When my beardie did it, I'd pet him on top of his head (couldn't get under his chin—too low to the ground). I've done that with this guy (GP) as well; like I said, this just popped into my head. 🤪

"love headbutts" They dont really want o bite you, they just really wish you were not there.
IDT I've ever thought he would bite without reason. IME, most animals just don't do that (except cats—they're nuckin' futs).

I had a frilled lizard, when it frilled you could just stick your finger in its mouth and tap the tongue. It would never clamp down.
Mmmm... IDT I'd go that far with a reptile.

Cone heads do the same thing....all show.
That's a little reassuring. Confirms my suspicions.

My beardie used to do the 'big scary lizard routine' until I disarmed & befuddled him with the 'pizza paddle maneuver'. He hasn't done it since, and now he's just docile like a lot of beardies, and just lets us pick him up without too much fuss.

Grumpy and Hammlet will gape and lunge, but don’t bite and will allow me to very gently stroke their chins and mittens. They will close their mouths and seem to relax. Stella however gives little warning and goes straight for the bite.

Grumpy and Hammlet will gape and lunge, but don’t bite and will allow me to very gently stroke their chins and mittens. They will close their mouths and seem to relax. Stella however gives little warning and goes straight for the bite.
Did/do you have a way of totally disarming, distracting, or flabbergasting them?

Did/do you have a way of totally disarming, distracting, or flabbergasting them?
Same as if I’m needing to handle them…distract with my other hand while they lunge. As soon as they stop lunging, I slowly remove extra hand and just rest primary hand in front of them for a minute until they see I’m no threat.

:ROFLMAO: I could easily accept that if it weren't that he knows I'm his only avenue to the plant table.

When my beardie did it, I'd pet him on top of his head (couldn't get under his chin—too low to the ground). I've done that with this guy (GP) as well; like I said, this just popped into my head. 🤪
What is this plant table you speak of

What is this plant table you speak of
My Missus has an 8' table in front of the window in front of the great room for her house plants.
Chameleon enclosure is at one end at right angles. Plant table is his 'playground,' though he usually heads straight for the top to play 'gargoyle.' He'll perch up there for a couple hours, come down, explore, go up to another hanger...

The PVC pipes are part of a frame that supports her plant lights.
1636409494067.jpeg

EDIT: Missus just came in while I was typing. She counted this morning, and has 40+ species of plants on the table.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom