Temps and humidity

Jocccellynnn

Established Member
Hello, I am just wondering about my humidity and temps I know they aren’t terrible but I am having a bit of trouble. It’s started snowing where I live and it doesn’t get past 66 at night and I can get the humidity up to 99 every night. My concern is the day time humidity and temps, her basking area is 85 but the rest of her cage has a gradient of 70- 67 during the day and she’s been hanging out in the coldest places recently and her skin is getting cold and it’s worrying me she’s getting too cold but she chooses to be down there?? I also can’t get my humidity past 25% without misting it during the day and my dripper does not help the humidity rise at all. I see her drinking everyday so that’s not my worry. I’m just worried she may be getting too cold and I feel like 25% is a little dry.

Hello, I am just wondering about my humidity and temps I know they aren’t terrible but I am having a bit of trouble. It’s started snowing where I live and it doesn’t get past 66 at night and I can get the humidity up to 99 every night. My concern is the day time humidity and temps, her basking area is 85 but the rest of her cage has a gradient of 70- 67 during the day and she’s been hanging out in the coldest places recently and her skin is getting cold and it’s worrying me she’s getting too cold but she chooses to be down there?? I also can’t get my humidity past 25% without misting it during the day and my dripper does not help the humidity rise at all. I see her drinking everyday so that’s not my worry. I’m just worried she may be getting too cold and I feel like 25% is a little dry.

I wouldn’t be to worried. Sounds a lot like the conditions in Yemen during the winter months.

Most people avoid misting during the day because it creates too high humidity with the warm temps. However, you have the opposite problem with low humidity. I struggle with this issue during the winter months as well, since my heating system causes very dry air.

• Do you know the humidity in your room/house? Is it also super low, in the 20s range?
  • Can you refresh my memory on the type of cage you have? If it is all screen, have you covered any sides with shower curtain to help hold the humidity?
  • Do you run a humidifier at night?

So I winter mine. Basking barely hits 80, ambient day is mid to low 70s. They seem too like the colder areas. Mine will give an hour in the heat (80) and then wander till evening, sometimes giving a second bask.
As for humidity, are you using a fogger ? mid to low 60s ant night is great, but I think you are having my issue. The cold air is very dry. I use foggers to compensate for this. I have directional foggers so I can poor the fog over them. It this zone the humidity will be higher. I shoot for 100% but it usually gets 85-90% but with the direct fog.
I also run a "cooler" at night I draw in outside cold air and run it through a fogger to add humidity. I run a 3 head fogger, but my enclosure is 3'x3'x5 and open front.
Hope this helps.

Since you have a female your basking temps are actually too hot for her. Temps and food amounts have a direct impact on how large of a clutch they lay. She really should be no hotter then 78-80max at basking...

Your humidity is fine. I really would not stress that. Their daytime range is 30-50% on the max end so you are very close to that.

Since you have a female your basking temps are actually too hot for her. Temps and food amounts have a direct impact on how large of a clutch they lay. She really should be no hotter then 78-80max at basking...

Your humidity is fine. I really would not stress that. Their daytime range is 30-50% on the max end so you are very close to that.

Yes my female. So I have been wondering how cool. She is in a different room, usually stays at or below 80 basking. ambient averages 72. I feed the equivalent of 4 large crickets a week.
I do not want her to become ready till spring when it gets warmer.
I know cooler and less food, but those are relative terms.
So I will take any info on this managing female cycles thing.

Yes my female. So I have been wondering how cool. She is in a different room, usually stays at or below 80 basking. ambient averages 72. I feed the equivalent of 4 large crickets a week.
I do not want her to become ready till spring when it gets warmer.
I know cooler and less food, but those are relative terms.
So I will take any info on this managing female cycles thing.
I do not know a lot about it as far as hands on experience. Just what I have learned from others. Most do 3 feeding days with 2-3 feeders. 78-80max for basking.

Most people avoid misting during the day because it creates too high humidity with the warm temps. However, you have the opposite problem with low humidity. I struggle with this issue during the winter months as well, since my heating system causes very dry air.

• Do you know the humidity in your room/house? Is it also super low, in the 20s range?
  • Can you refresh my memory on the type of cage you have? If it is all screen, have you covered any sides with shower curtain to help hold the humidity?
  • Do you run a humidifier at night?
The humidity in my house is actually around 30 during the day. but for some reason her enclosure will not reach humidity levels over 27% if I don’t mist a second time during the day. She has a 24x24x48 all screen enclosure I’ll link a pic below. I want to get a humidifier or digger so if you guys could link some good ones I’ll be willing to buy one. But no I do not have one, I mist at 8pm, again at 12am, and again at 2 am. Then I mist at 9am and if needed again at 2pm. But I didn’t normally mist at 2pm it’s just getting dryer than before. I do put a sheet over her enclosure at night to try keeping the humidity.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 100

Okay I have a 75 watt because I worrying she was getting too cold. It doesn’t get higher than 85 but should I go back to a 65 watt? And okay I’ll stop stressing about the humidity.

Okay I have a 75 watt because I worrying she was getting too cold. It doesn’t get higher than 85 but should I go back to a 65 watt? And okay I’ll stop stressing about the humidity.
You need a temp of no hotter then 80 at basking. you do not want to have her hotter or she will produce a larger clutch and be hungrier from the warmer temps.
Large clutches take it out of them and their is more risk of them becoming egg bound with a large clutch.

So I winter mine. Basking barely hits 80, ambient day is mid to low 70s. They seem too like the colder areas. Mine will give an hour in the heat (80) and then wander till evening, sometimes giving a second bask.
As for humidity, are you using a fogger ? mid to low 60s ant night is great, but I think you are having my issue. The cold air is very dry. I use foggers to compensate for this. I have directional foggers so I can poor the fog over them. It this zone the humidity will be higher. I shoot for 100% but it usually gets 85-90% but with the direct fog.
I also run a "cooler" at night I draw in outside cold air and run it through a fogger to add humidity. I run a 3 head fogger, but my enclosure is 3'x3'x5 and open front.
Hope this helps.
If you could direct me to some links for a fighter or humidifier, preferably on Amazon. I can order it today. I’ve been looking into getting one I know they can get a bit pricy but I feel like it’s worth it. My girl seems to like the colder areas a lot more as well. But this did help, thank you.

You need a temp of no hotter then 80 at basking. you do not want to have her hotter or she will produce a larger clutch and be hungrier from the warmer temps.
Large clutches take it out of them and their is more risk of them becoming egg bound with a large clutch.
Okay thank you.

Hey Beman, I also have another question. I feed my girl 4-5 feeders every other day. She is coming on 8 months, do you think this is a good amount?

Hope this helps.
Would one of these work?

Attachments

• 3CB48143-BCA5-42EB-A1C3-1A8803F8EE37.png
    3CB48143-BCA5-42EB-A1C3-1A8803F8EE37.png
    169.1 KB · Views: 76
  • AF61388A-1E18-4A92-87EC-B05B95912AAA.png
    AF61388A-1E18-4A92-87EC-B05B95912AAA.png
    202.6 KB · Views: 70
Hi I have the back and one side sheeted with plastic to keep up humidity. Not a reccomendation only a comment but I run a habistat at night and can only pick up up 80/82 but as casque said directional fog to her sleeping area is a good idea

Hi I have the back and one side sheeted with plastic to keep up humidity. Not a reccomendation only a comment but I run a habistat at night and can only pick up up 80/82 but as casque said directional fog to her sleeping area is a good idea
Yeah I use a sheet over her enclosure at night and it keeps the humidity a little higher for longer but I am looking into getting fogger or automatic mister.

If you could direct me to some links for a fighter or humidifier, preferably on Amazon. I can order it today. I’ve been looking into getting one I know they can get a bit pricy but I feel like it’s worth it. My girl seems to like the colder areas a lot more as well. But this did help, thank you.

https://caskabove.com/hydration-resources

This is my site I am working on. The petspionere is a good one. @Beman I believe uses this on. I did till I dropped it and cracked the case. Just don't do that lol. But it puts out good fog, parts are easy to replace

https://caskabove.com/hydration-resources

This is my site I am working on. The petspionere is a good one. @Beman I believe uses this on. I did till I dropped it and cracked the case. Just don't do that lol. But it puts out good fog, parts are easy to replace
I do not currently fog due to my natural humidity levels I get with misting alone in the evenings. Mine hold at 80-90% all night. High humidity environment and my hybrid cages allow for more control of holding the levels.

But I have heard great things about that fogger. I like it because it is a top fill which makes it easier.

Back
Top Bottom