Temporary glass teranium for vieled?

Shrimp15

Im getting a vieled as a christmas gift and plan to build my own setup, but for now all i have is a glass tank:/ as a baby veil he will be ok in this tank temporarly right? I have my own drip system and a flat fan sitting on the lid to control air flow and humidity, the standard UVA and UVB lights as well.
Here it is
IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_3586.jpg

Last edited:
That is what i have mine in till he gets bigger.He is way too small to be in the big cage.Just make sure your dripper drips into a dish or something so u can empty it.And i put my crickets into a small container that way they are not running around in there.That is if it is going to be a full terrium like mine is.

He will get big pretty quick. What size is the tank? How old is your baby? Also i would make a couple changes to the tank. Do not have a water bowl, as chams don't drink from water bowls, they drink when you spray them and from water dripping on a plant. If you need a dish to catch the water that is ok but be really sure it has a screen over it. Your cham can drown in very little water. If you are going to cup feed get a cup that is small enough the cham can get to the crickets easily, and make sure the cup isn't something the cham will fall in and not be able to get out of. If you free range crickets for him, try to make sure there are no live crickets left in his tank when he sleeps. Crickets will often chew on sleeping chams. Last monitor temps very closely. A glass cage can overheat quickly.

The boil is for catching water

He seems to be enjoying the tank, i would really like advice is the mini usb fan is appropiate, im affraid it may bother him

Sad story and i was stupid....

My first chameleon was a vieled. Got her at Petco (yup) and i asked the staff all i needed to know (mistake number 2). I got a tank and crappy light for her. The tank got all nasty because of spraying it down and it was hard to clean. The temperature was crappy because your setting a light down into a closed off box. No clean air, no ventilation, breeding ground for bacteria, and what not. The chameleon got sick and died. The vet sucked and said there was nothing he could do. I guess she was just sick all the factors.

Im defin no expert, im just telling my story is all

Chamguy said.."u could stand the glass tank on one side and make a screen door until you have a true cage for it"...then were would you put the UV light? BTW this could also likely stop the "chimney affect" of air flow.

For many years in the "old days" when I first started keeping chameleons I kept them in aquariums and they did fine in them as long as no water was left laying stagnant on the floor of the cage and no substrate was used that would mold and create a bacteria breeding ground. I never used fans on any of them...I simply placed the UVB light to one side on the screen lid of the cage and the basking light in one corner of the lid of the cage to create air flow.

One more thing I should mention though is it also depends on where you live and whether you have air conditioning as to whether glass caging is recommended.

Last edited:
For many years in the "old days" when I first started keeping chameleons I kept them in aquariums and they did fine in them as long as no water was left laying stagnant on the floor of the cage and no substrate was used that would mold and create a bacteria breeding ground. I never used fans on any of them...I simply placed the UVB light to one side on the screen lid of the cage and the basking light in one corner of the lid of the cage to create air flow.

Me too - bred several species in aquariums in the early 90s.

Just don't soak things down when you mist- use the mist to create a light hazing on everything that will dry out within a couple of hours and supply the water your chameleon needs to drink with a drip system and a catch bowl that is kept clean.

Back
Top Bottom