Temperature

Gloriawood

Chameleon Enthusiast
So it’s cold. Like really cold. It was 3 degrees this morning. Currently 9. With the wind it’s in the negatives. I have heaters going in the room Spaghetti is in, but it’s still not warm enough. I added an extra heat bulb as well. But the highest I can get his enclosure right now is mid to high 60s. How is this going to affect him? I know I’m not the only one with this issue @LoveGun78 posted this morning and is struggling as well. What can we do?

Do you happen to have a higher wattage light bulb to use for basking right now? Or could you drop your basking light mount to try and bring it a little closer? I think he will be ok for a day or 2 as long as you can get him in the 70 ish range but I’m not 100%, just trying to brainstorm. 😊
We are having a cold spell too, I’m humidity struggling though 😩 I feel your worry.

My husband gets this black wrap, insulation stuff for his beehives for the winter time in Utah. I’ll reach out to him and see if I can find out what exactly he uses and I’ll share that here in case if that’s something you want to try. Maybe you can wrap three sides of his enclosure with the insulation And even part of the door if necessary.

Do you happen to have a higher wattage light bulb to use for basking right now? Or could you drop your basking light mount to try and bring it a little closer? I think he will be ok for a day or 2 as long as you can get him in the 70 ish range but I’m not 100%, just trying to brainstorm. 😊
We are having a cold spell too, I’m humidity struggling though 😩 I feel your worry.
I added a smaller fixture with a 50 watt halogen. I could've replaced 75watt with a 100watt. But the 100watts are to big an tip of bulb touches the screen. Still barely getting his body temp in the 80's. Little wave get his mouth to open. An he does have stringy saliva. Hoping 🙏 its from not running fogger an mister at night. Even with areas of his enclosure reaching the 50's. He eat most of his crickets an I added some ice cubes for drips. But time will tell if he's sick. Only good thing is its alot warmer next week. Just have to get though this one. Thanks i don't like this :( an cant even remember it getting this cold out.

I added a smaller fixture with a 50 watt halogen. I could've replaced 75watt with a 100watt. But the 100watts are to big a tip of bulb touches the screen. Still barely getting his body temp in the 80's. Little wave get his mouth to open. An he does have stringy saliva. Hoping 🙏 its from not running fogger a mister at night. Even with areas of his enclosure reaching the 50's. He eat most of his crickets an I added some ice cubes for drips. But time will tell if he's sick. Only good thing is its alot warmer next week. Just have to get though this one. Thanks i don't like this :( a cant even remember it getting this cold out.
Keep us posted.

I don’t have a higher wattage and it’s on the screen atm. 😩 I feel so bad

My husband gets this black wrap, insulation stuff for his beehives for the winter time in Utah. I’ll reach out to him and see if I can find out what exactly he uses and I’ll share that here in case if that’s something you want to try. Maybe you can wrap three sides of his enclosure with the insulation And even part of the door if necessary.
Thank you! Willing to try anything. Just don't like that room so cold.

Attachments

• 20240115_114708.jpg
    20240115_114708.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 14
He’s eating great and still sassy, but moving a bit slower. Other than that he seems normal.
Eating great is really good. When there sick they usually stop eating completely. They usually have a beginning stage an then worsen. Sometimes right away or time-lapse depending on the illness. But without vet care an meds. They usually have no chance of survival. Gets me thinking how they get by in the wild. They're daily care needs must be always on point in the wild. Always gets me thinking they shouldn't be pets. Good example is the iguanas in Florida even this time of year.

You are going to have to get your ambient up. Otherwise your basking temp is never going to be correct because heat rises.
The window film stuff that duct makes that everyone puts on their cages... That stuff works great on windows. It will help keep your heat in and the cold out. Especially if you have older windows that may not seal perfectly.

You are going to have to get your ambient up. Otherwise your basking temp is never going to be correct because heat rises.
The window film stuff that duct makes that everyone puts on their cages... That stuff works great on windows. It will help keep your heat in and the cold out. Especially if you have older windows that may not seal perfectly.
I do have older windows. I just shoved them full of blankets 🤞 that helps. I can’t get out right now because the roads are covered. I have shower curtain on three sides. If I can get out later I’ll see if I can find the window film

I do have older windows. I just shoved them full of blankets 🤞 that helps. I can’t get out right now because the roads are covered. I have shower curtain on three sides. If I can get out later I’ll see if I can find the window film
If it makes you feel better it is not going to hurt him to have ambient temps in mid 60's for a few days but he may be less active while they are lower.

If it makes you feel better it is not going to hurt him to have ambient temps in mid 60's for a few days but he may be less active while they are lower.
Ok that’s what I was worried about. I have noticed him being less active. Spending more time basking. But still himself other than that.

Oh no!! This is so annoying sometimes!!! Even where I live, it can get down to the 20s, and my room I keep my chameleon in is FREEZING!!! I wish I knew of other ways to help!

I don’t have a higher wattage and it’s on the screen atm. 😩 I feel so bad
Higher wattage sometimes is more of a risk. If you can add another fixture with same wattage or lower. It will bring up the amb temps. I avoid higher wattage mostly cause of thermo burns. An if there cold an dark in color. They will bask alot an get close as probably.

Higher wattage sometimes is more of a risk. If you can add another fixture with same wattage or lower. It will bring up the amb temps. I avoid higher wattage mostly cause of thermo burns. An if there cold an dark in color. They will bask alot an get close as probably.
Ima try to find something else to think of

Ima try to find something else to think of
I have read on chameleon academy. Actually refresh my memory. Nighttime temps in the 50's kept for panthers. Shouldnt cause any issues. Even if its temporary. Even read veiled being kept in the 40's. But best thing to do is heat up the amb temps in the area there kept. Not the enclosure. Just tough keeping a room warm. When its under 0 degrees outside. An even doors are not opening for being frozen. My front door an patio door won't open. Only thing that opens is the overhead garage door. Even furnace here cuts on every 2-3 minutes. Had it set on 68 an moved it up to 69f. Seemed to help alittle. Just not liking his body temps. Reading 60f with temp gun.

I have read on chameleon academy. Actually refresh my memory. Nighttime temps in the 50's kept for panthers. Shouldnt cause any issues. Even if its temporary. Even read veiled being kept in the 40's. But best thing to do is heat up the amb temps in the area there kept. Not the enclosure. Just tough keeping a room warm. When its under 0 degrees outside. An even doors are not opening for being frozen. My front door a patio door won't open. Only thing that opens is the overhead garage door. Even furnace here cuts on every 2-3 minutes. Had it set on 68 a moved it up to 69f. Seemed to help alittle. Just not liking his body temps. Reading 60f with temp gun.
It’s insane how cold it is! We have a room in my house we don’t heat (super old house and no insulation in that part) so we just store stuff in there. Got a case of water out of the room…FROZEN.

Back
Top Bottom