temperature reader/gun

That should work well.

The thing you need to keep in mind is:
The distance to spot is 8:1.

This means that at 8 inches away, you are measuring a spot one inch in diameter. Just keep it within 8" and youll be fine. Closer will measure a smaller point.

i just bought this temp gun from canadian tire i'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with it or if they think it will work good/accurately.
i can always bring it back if it's no good. thanks in advance.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...raft+Digital+Temperature+Reader.jsp?locale=en

I don't doubt it will work fine. I have a similar one, also purchased from crappy tire, which Im happy with.
Keep in mind that surface temp is different from air temp.
I have a digital thermometer in each cage to measure ambient temp. I use the temp gun to test basking perch surface temps. Surface temps are generally warmer than air temps and are more important for ground dwelling animals which would naturally lay on sun heated hot rocks and warm their bellies. Its not as much of an issue with an arboreal animal, so long as the perch isn't too cooking hot (don't want to burn feet!) but its the air temp you are more concerned about for chams.

Last edited:
the only problem i might have with it then would be that it makes a beeping sound every time the trigger is pressed. would that bug the cham?

the only problem i might have with it then would be that it makes a beeping sound every time the trigger is pressed. would that bug the cham?

Nope, chameleons can't hear high frequencies. There are more detailed posts about that here on the forum. I use mine for measuring my chams body temp when basking, works well.

Back
Top Bottom