Tell me the truth!!

Tara said:
at night in the tank, maybe I should make their days a little warmer?

You might want to be careful making the cage any warmer. A tank doesn't dispurse heat very well, and you could fry the little guys.

Tara said:
Also, I put 10 crickets int he feeding dish and then added 10 more when they were gone and now they are ALL gone. I do not want to overfeed, but I don't want them to be hungry either. How much should I offer them daily...or should I only off every other day? Also, once I get the proper UVB, do I still need to sprinkle their food and how often?....oh, my head is going to explode!:eek:
Tara

Everyone has a different idea on how much to feed their chams. I am one of the guilty ones who feeds my cham whatever he will eat. Luckily, that isn't much anymore. But, when he was a little guy, he easily ate 20 to 30 bugs a day. (I can feel Eric's gaze on that now...:( ) Since they are so young still, I would stick with feeding them every day for now.

You will need to supplement and gutload their food even when you have a UVB light. When my panther was a baby, I used miner all I twice a week and repcal calcium no d3 twice a week. Then, I used herptivite once a week. Now, he is a young adult and I supplement miner all once a week and herptivite once a month. This is another area where people have different ideas of what is right for their chams. Hopefully, others pop in and give you their supplement schedule so that you can come up with one for your chams.

Heika

Thanks so much

ok, so then I won't make it any hotter. I was told earlier that a good heat for them in there would be around 80 degrees and now since you don't recommend any more heat, I think I will stick with that. They can always get warmer up by the basking light and cooler on the other side of the enclosure.

ok, you said...

(You will need to supplement and gutload their food even when you have a UVB light. When my panther was a baby, I used miner all I twice a week and repcal calcium no d3 twice a week. Then, I used herptivite once a week. Now, he is a young adult and I supplement miner all once a week and herptivite once a month.)

So the miner all I had the calcium and D3 in it and then you also used the repcal calcium as well which had calcium but no D3?

You might think you are talking to a bonehead when I ask this, but is all new and I really want to understand.
First..is D3 the same as calcium? or are they 2 different things?
I was just looking at Eric's care sheet and I want to be sure I am getting it.

D3 is what they get from the UVB light in order to metabolize the calcium from food and from supplements? or is it basically the same thing, but they just synthesize their own calcium from the UVB(D3=calcium)

I must sound like an idiot..it is probaby so simple and I am making really complicated. I think I just need to go to bed. Tara

If your cham has MBD, you could try to start feeding High calcium feeders. I heard that phoenix worms are very high in calcium. This may give her an extra boost of calcium supplement. You may want to check this with someone else though because I read this on a website that sales phoenix worms and I don't know if they are telling the truth or if they are just trying to sell their product.

Back
Top Bottom