tell me the truth >.< ROACHES

little leaf

Avid Member
I just got 3 huge roach bins FULL of roaches- there is well over 3,000 - OMG - they are so yucky ! and...I MAY keep one TINY amount of them depending on this.. I dont know if the guy told me this because of how I reacted when he opend one of the lids .. :eek: kinda like telling a new camper to go skipe hunting - lol but he told me to not open my mouth near them- they can jump in ! IS THIS TRUE ? I would not even think of keeping ONE- let alone 100's or 1,000's but they came w/ my new cham ( will post pics of Olive's new "hubby" later today :D ) and he eats them, Olive also likes them- YAY- ( I hate them :eek: ) but I know she needs more dif/ things in her diet- but if this is ture- they are ALL GOING !!!! ( and the way my hand shook this AM when I tired to pick one up - it will not be hard for it to get away- it was a sight- my arm out as far as I could get it away from my body- and all I could think was its going to run up my arm, and in to my mouth- KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT ! :eek: )

huge , nasty, :p they are the dubi ( sp?) the kind everyone is always feeding - I did not see any jumping - but he said they can- I would think it was all a joke until his 7 yr old son told me the same thing as I was leaving- " dont let them jump in your mouth !! "

LOL!! sounds like they were having a bit of fun at your expense.
Dubia roaches do not jump, not in your mouth or any place else!

The kid likely heard Dad say that to you and was rubbing it in.

Sounds like they were teasing you :rolleyes: ;)

LOL!! sounds like they were having a bit of fun at your expense.
Dubia roaches do not jump, not in your mouth or any place else!

The kid likely heard Dad say that to you and was rubbing it in.

Sounds like they were teasing you :rolleyes: ;)

THANK GOD !! I am sitting here at work, thinking about how horried it will be when one did this- I could not sleep last night knowing I would have to face my fear of TOUCHING one in the AM to feed the new cham- let alone being attacked by it- :eek:
thanks :D ( at least I knew better than to go skipe hunting- lol)

Yea, don't worry, dubia roaches don't climb, don't jump out at you, and don't fly. I have discoid roaches, which are a cousin species of dubias, and they're just as easy to keep. Just invest in some long tongs, it'll be much easier to manage them if you don't want to touch them at all (I certainly don't, I have a nice tong collection.)

Yea, don't worry, dubia roaches don't climb, don't jump out at you, and don't fly. I have discoid roaches, which are a cousin species of dubias, and they're just as easy to keep. Just invest in some long tongs, it'll be much easier to manage them if you don't want to touch them at all (I certainly don't, I have a nice tong collection.)

yes, like a 10 !! foot tong - they dont fall out of the tong? like it or not- all the chams will have to cup feed these- I was shaking so bad this AM , the poor chams could hardly aim and shoot and hit it- NOW its funny to me- this AM - N :mad: T

No, not if they are good tongs. Usually they have ridges/teeth at the end so you can grip them pretty well. I have smaller ones for small nymphs and 10" ones for larger ones (and a 24" one too, but that's for stealth tong feeding someone that is afraid of me being there).

I also only cup/tong feed roaches, they will just find a little hiding spot and never come out otherwise. So it's the best way to make sure that they get eaten. I will leave other stuff to free roam the cage but never the roaches. Plus, it's creepy to hear them climb the screen at night when they come out lol

I hated them too at first.
When I got my first lot of breeder adults in the mail and opened the lid,
I about had a heart attack!!
For a long time, I would not stick my hand in their tub, and used VERY long
feeding tongs!! :eek:

It took time, now I am used to handling them and just reach my hands in
and pick the ones I want.
I dont freak anymore when a big male climbs up my arm.
I just grab him and toss him back in the bin ;)

They are way less harmful then those stinking, nasty black field crickets!!
I have been bitten several times by those (doesnt hurt!!) and they have
been known to kill small chams (etc.)
If I can feel their bite, imagine how a little cham would feel!! :(

Cheryl I almost died when you told me this on the phone. Sorry I was not on the forum. If it were me I would drive all the way back to that guys house and kick his butt. What a horrible thing to do, that just isn't funny.

I still wear gloves when I am getting the selected bugs for that day. But once I have them, I hold each bug in my bare fingers to feed Lenny and Annie. One at a time I can do. If one of the adults ran up my arm, I am not sure who would die first, but one of us would have to go!!

I hate roaches too. That's way I don't buy large quantities or adults. I can handle few small roaches. The only roach I'm not (very) scared of is green banana roach. Even though they are fast and can fly, they are kind of pretty :)

The things we do for our chams... :rolleyes:

I'm right there with most of you about not touching the roaches. I see all these videos of people just reaching their hands into bins or tanks full of them and I have to turn it off. I use tongs with my breeding colony and with Chams, geckos, and a Beardie they are much easier and cheaper than crickets. My problem is figuring out how to feed my new Cham the roaches. He won't eat from my hand yet, I won't let them free roam for so many reason, and he doesn't trust the tongs at this point. I've tried a cup but he looks at it as if confused. I hooked the cup up so he could see it without me in the room but he ignores it. lol It will be a LONG time before I could hold them by hand...bleh.:cool:

I'm right there with most of you about not touching the roaches. I see all these videos of people just reaching their hands into bins or tanks full of them and I have to turn it off. I use tongs with my breeding colony and with Chams, geckos, and a Beardie they are much easier and cheaper than crickets. My problem is figuring out how to feed my new Cham the roaches. He won't eat from my hand yet, I won't let them free roam for so many reason, and he doesn't trust the tongs at this point. I've tried a cup but he looks at it as if confused. I hooked the cup up so he could see it without me in the room but he ignores it. lol It will be a LONG time before I could hold them by hand...bleh.:cool:

Get him to eat worms, horns and silkies, out of your hand first.
Once he gets used to your hand, you switch to cricks and roaches.

They tend to love horns and silkies, thats why they are best to hand feed
when they are new to you.
They are more likely to take it from your hand if it's the first food they have
had that day also.

I hated them too at first.
When I got my first lot of breeder adults in the mail and opened the lid,
I about had a heart attack!!
For a long time, I would not stick my hand in their tub, and used VERY long
feeding tongs!! :eek:

It took time, now I am used to handling them and just reach my hands in
and pick the ones I want.
I dont freak anymore when a big male climbs up my arm.
I just grab him and toss him back in the bin ;)

They are way less harmful then those stinking, nasty black field crickets!!
I have been bitten several times by those (doesnt hurt!!) and they have
been known to kill small chams (etc.)
If I can feel their bite, imagine how a little cham would feel!! :(

Have you been bit by a horn worm yet, that is pretty startling. Haha.

Oh thank you, I will have nightmares for nights over this. I have these roaches, and I still shriek and fling my arm about if one gets on me.:eek: Yeah I still use tongs, and still hate bugs. Sigh what we do for our babies... But I have never had a roach escape that wasn't because I flung it, and honestly even after I fling them they usually sit there, like "dude whats the problem?"
LOL
Sharl

I was exactly the same as you but exposure therapy really works. They really aren't scary. BUT, if you have asthma or allergies, be very careful. I break out into a terrible rash if I touch them, and my throat and eyes swell up if I breathe without a mask near their bin. It's really, really bad, and many people have similar reactions to any type of roach.

rubber gloves

I cringe just reading the post knowing I am growing a colony in my closet to feed my new baby once I get him.
I dont wanna touch em, I dont wanna think about them, I pray to Jesus he will cup feed. I have an elaborate system designed in my mind of how I can feed the dubias to him and never touch them ever.
Pheonix worms I think will be the best for me, they dont seem to squirm much from what I have researched, and are great food.
I am in your corner when it comes to roaches. I wont even call them roaches.. they are my "beetles"
I guess someone could eventually get used to punching themselves in the face repeatedly too, its just the pain of getting used to it that is hard to do haha

Back
Top Bottom