Tell me all you can

BL02

Hi I’m Ben and I keep tortoises. I might consider taking on a chameleon over the next few years so I’m learning the most I can. What species is good for beginners? And example of diet would be good as well.

Thanks

Id start with a good ole male veiled. Easy to come by, easy to sex, dont have to worry about egg binding on your first go at it, you can pay a little more for a fancy morph, they eat veg so you dont have to nail down your gut load perfect, and they are a good size for handling.

Thank you I will definitely look in to that species. I dealt with this a lot with tortoises when it comes to substrate, lamp, and overall enclosure and it’s quite controversial on what’s right and wrong. So I would appreciate it if you gave me an example of lighting and housing and substrate. Thanks again

Ben

Generic cham cage:

Reptibreeze XL 24x24x48

22" single or dual(1 uv and 1 6500k) T5HO 5.0/6% from zoomed or aradia

No substrate, ever. Infact keep potted plants a few inches above the bottom so that feeders cant hide.

Some type of misting or drip system such as mistking

I wouldn't count on the veiled eating vegetables. Mine hasn't eaten any in a long time, which is why it's important give the feeders a variety of different foods. Commercial gutloads are super good for this.

I would also start male first, veiled and panthers are very hardy, buy one more than 3 months old, they're usually past the finicky stage, male jacksons are the same as female jacksons in the sense that female jacksons give live birth, although their care is different it can be very similar. first step is deciding what kind of chameleon you want, more friendly, more aggressive and then start on care because care differs from cham to cham female to male and baby to adult.

No doubt! If you ever try to google a question about chams, 80% of the results will lead you right back to this community!
Your podcast and video was very interesting and helpful, I am thinking of getting a veiled Cham but I will have to do some research into breeders near me. Also as you mentioned in your video about overfeeding, how often do you feed and how much as that is very important.

Thanks a lot

Your podcast and video was very interesting and helpful, I am thinking of getting a veiled Cham but I will have to do some research into breeders near me. Also as you mentioned in your video about overfeeding, how often do you feed and how much as that is very important.

Thanks a lot
Lol, thats not me in the video! It depends on age. Young chams should have access to high quality, gutloaded food 24/7 until they reach sexual maturity. Once they have reached maturity you start cutting back until your feeding 5-6 large feeders every other day.

Ah I’ve just seen your age, sorry about that:D. I know a good place that sells live food for them

But unfortunately though, there is no good breeder near me at the moment but I will keep looking.

Yep, sorry if I don’t make sense. I’m tired;).
There is no breeder near me but can I trust that my Cham can be delivered safely?

and any suggestions on where to buy from would be great.

Yep, sorry if I don’t make sense. I’m tired;).
There is no breeder near me but can I trust that my Cham can be delivered safely?

and any suggestions on where to buy from would be great.
Absolutely, they can be shipped overnight safely. They pretty much go to sleep once in the box. My male Nosy Be I just got was shipped this way. You should be buying from a reputable breeder and if you are this will be standard procedure. If you want a veiled checkout Florida Chams in the sponsor section.

Back
Top Bottom