Tegu Care

Does anyone here have any good websites/forums for tegu care knowledge? I’ve been doing research for awhile now but every place I look, the information varies slightly. I’ve been spoiled with the Chameleon Academy and this place, so if anyone can recommend something close to CA (for tegus lol) or a forum that’s not completely inactive, I would appreciate it a lot!

Also, if anyone has any advice or tips, I’d love to hear them!!

"tegu talk" is very active.

But just like the massive splits of chameleon care (or you are sheltered and only come here and Chameleon Academy) There is massive splits on tegu care.

But if you take my advice(for both chameleons and tegus), simply ask your breeder for complete care. Then you will have a "matched" set of lighting/supplements/feeders/gutload's.

Plus you didnt say "which" tegu. And a golden(100% food with a face and never hibernates) has different setup than a black/white(40% veg or will get fat, and sleeps 5-7 months a year).

Though things get harry when you go from "chameleons can bask up to 90f" to "an adult black/white should bask at rare steak temperatures".

"tegu talk" is very active.

But just like the massive splits of chameleon care (or you are sheltered and only come here and Chameleon Academy) There is massive splits on tegu care.

But if you take my advice(for both chameleons and tegus), simply ask your breeder for complete care. Then you will have a "matched" set of lighting/supplements/feeders/gutload's.

Plus you didnt say "which" tegu. And a golden(100% food with a face and never hibernates) has different setup than a black/white(40% veg or will get fat, and sleeps 5-7 months a year).

Though things get harry when you go from "chameleons can bask up to 90f" to "an adult black/white should bask at rare steak temperatures".
Thank you for the forum!! Ive been thinking about getting a red tegu. I know they’re the biggest of them all so I have a dedicated room for the enclosure I’ll have to build. Do you have any good breeders to recommend?

Thank you for the forum!! Ive been thinking about getting a red tegu. I know they’re the biggest of them all so I have a dedicated room for the enclosure I’ll have to build. Do you have any good breeders to recommend?

No, i got my last red at 4 months old in a walmart parking lot...

"Tegus only" in Florida is good. As is "Rose city reptiles" in Texas.

I would steer you towards a blue if i am honest. They are basically a "fancy" black/white, and are a hair bigger.

The reds you have to deal with more overweight and skin issues. They are not really bigger than a black/white, its just that they are "wider". And you have a 50% chance of a red losing all design/striping as and adult, and end up with just a 3-4 foot hotdog.

Here is mine at his "ugliest". He is underweight from 6 months of "warm" brumation. And is doing a full body shed so really dull. But he did keep all of is design/striping.

IMG_20220305_130420 (1).jpg

No, i got my last red at 4 months old in a walmart parking lot...
Have we heard that story before? (Honestly can't remember, but it sounds like it has potential!) 😄

"Tegus only" in Florida is good.
Is that the place in/near the Everglades where you put your order in at the front register, and they send Mongo out the back door to catch you one? :ROFLMAO:

I'm probably just a tad envious, but I can still appreciate them vicariously. :)

My Missus has become quite a reptile convert, but those jowls (and Tegus' size) have her intimidated, and I can't say I blame her. I think the quote was something like, "Anything that's supposed to be 'dog-like' and that big better have fur, wag (not whip!) its tail, and 💩 outside..." 😆

Good Luck, KilogramCham! (y) 🤞 🍀

I would have thought the males would have the bigger jowls (like intact cats). 🤷‍♂️

I think this is a miss gender.

Its "Mr. Lola". The breeder and guy who sold it to me said it was a girl, and it was a girl for about six months. Then she starting getting the manly jowls. By that time all the kids knew it was lola, and you cant rename it at that point, so we added the "Mr". Some still ask if lola has laid eggs yet...

Back
Top Bottom