Tavetana in Tanzania

HOLY :eek: That is one nice tavetana. Wish I could get some right now but just not possible. I think those and the boehmei are my favorite species by far.

HOLY :eek: That is one nice tavetana. Wish I could get some right now but just not possible. I think those and the boehmei are my favorite species by far.

I have a lone female I would sell you. I have decided not to get a male and breed them so I would be happy to let this lady go.

I have a lone female I would sell you. I have decided not to get a male and breed them so I would be happy to let this lady go.

Money is tight right now and I have no room here in MD. I would gladly take her in another month or two though!!!! There are actually some on Kingsnake right now.

what makes them hard to keep? Temperature/humidity requirements?

Temps and humidity are really not the problem with these. In the wild they see a wide array of temps and humidity. Temps anywhere from upper 80s to 40s and humidity from super high to getting below 50%. With a range like this they are actually not difficult to keep happy in those respects.

What makes them hard is that they usually always come in bad shape. Even the ones I have got and others have got that look great decline in a matter of weeks. The WCs do not take to captivity very well at all. There are even problems with the captive hatched/born ones.

Out of the 8 or so years I have been keeping I am the only one I know who has hatched any out. Not saying no one else has, not every keeper is a member to the forum, but, they definitely arent being produced like some of the other odd species like deremensis, quadricornis and hoehnelii. Ive hatched 4 clutches out and some of them are still around and unfortunately I think more are dead than still around:(

I have a decent head start with this species and WILL be working with them again when I have the space and money. I would like a nice large group of tavetana to go with my trio of K. boehmei (pretty much tavetana with a few slightly different features) and also hoping for a pair of CB K. matschiei. Those will be the three species I stay with for some time if all goes half ways right.

Money is tight right now and I have no room here in MD. I would gladly take her in another month or two though!!!! There are actually some on Kingsnake right now.

Temps and humidity are really not the problem with these. In the wild they see a wide array of temps and humidity. Temps anywhere from upper 80s to 40s and humidity from super high to getting below 50%. With a range like this they are actually not difficult to keep happy in those respects.

What makes them hard is that they usually always come in bad shape. Even the ones I have got and others have got that look great decline in a matter of weeks. The WCs do not take to captivity very well at all. There are even problems with the captive hatched/born ones.

Out of the 8 or so years I have been keeping I am the only one I know who has hatched any out. Not saying no one else has, not every keeper is a member to the forum, but, they definitely arent being produced like some of the other odd species like deremensis, quadricornis and hoehnelii. Ive hatched 4 clutches out and some of them are still around and unfortunately I think more are dead than still around:(

I have a decent head start with this species and WILL be working with them again when I have the space and money. I would like a nice large group of tavetana to go with my trio of K. boehmei (pretty much tavetana with a few slightly different features) and also hoping for a pair of CB K. matschiei. Those will be the three species I stay with for some time if all goes half ways right.

If it makes you feel any better this is the girl I bought from you ages ago. don't you remember me freaking over how tiny she was? I had never seen a baby tav before.:eek:

Jared I just checked kingsnake and found no tavs - who had them?

Last edited:
Underground has them right now. They have them only labled as dwarf fischers. How is that female doing? Grow up any?

I love K. tavs! Jared send me a pair and Laurie twisted my arm for them! J/K I miss them sooo much. I regret letting them go and now desire another pair to keep forever. That is how much I like that species. Great video and awesome specimen.

Jared I have to find another cb pair. I love K. tavs!

I do want to say that for anyone who read my earlier post. Just because they can handle those temps etc doesnt mean they should be subjected to them for long periods of time!!

K. tavetana is definitely an awesome species, Tom!! I think more people would like them if they gave them a chance. Out of all the species I have kept, rare and common, they are my favorite along side my new boehmeis!!

I do want to say that for anyone who read my earlier post. Just because they can handle those temps etc doesnt mean they should be subjected to them for long periods of time!!

K. tavetana is definitely an awesome species, Tom!! I think more people would like them if they gave them a chance. Out of all the species I have kept, rare and common, they are my favorite along side my new boehmeis!!

I feel you on this most people especially new people to this wonderful hobby go for color such as panther and also most common from what i know jacksons due to temperment also the size of mellers and their beautiful colors and markings. They are alot like usambaras two horns i loved my guy leo rip bro u r truely missed and oustalates people dont ho due to their colors but i loved my fisher and very pleased with my ousty mighty moe but i have seen more and more people getting these and seeing them in reptile stores and wanting them in demand which i am pleased oust are a great starter in my opinion if u can hanfle the up keep which really is their food intake. Just wait they will be very popular the more people see these great creatures.

Back
Top Bottom