Tava wont eat or shed???

Benjaminx3

I have a female veiled chameleon who I've had for about three months now. My guess is she could be as old as six months, mot likelys between four and fine, I'm guessing.
Recently, se hasn't been eating much. I'll put waxeorms and superworms in her bowl, present her with crickets, and she won't eat any of them. Last time I saw her actually eat something was probably three or four days ago. She's also been moving around her tank a lot more than usual, which I don't think is bad, but she's been sitting on the ground of the tank, too.
Last month, I don't think she completed her shed cycle, either. I saw her shedding on her face, and the skin seemed to hang on for a lot longer than usual, and then she never shed her body or legs as far as I know. Right now she's in a tank encloser. My mom and I are working on getting her a screened one. She has a decent amount to move around, and the temperature stays steady for the whole day, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Also, since earlier this afternoon, she'd sit there with here mouth open. Is that bad? I've seen her do it once a couple of weeks ago, but not for this long.
Please help? This is my first time having a reptile like this and I really love her. :(

sounds like she may be ready to lay eggs! They can lay infertile eggs. They don't have to mated. Please post some pics of her! You need to get a laying bin in your tank(she should not be kept in a tank by the way, which I am assumin you know) the laying bin needs to be atleast 12 X 12 and filled with moist washed playsand. Make sure it can tunnel without collapsing. she may be overheating or a possible respiratory infection as far as the mouth being open.

Really? Like I said, I'm not sure on her age... I would have asked when we got her, but my mom got her as a birthday present and never asked when she got her. But I could be wrong on her age. How can I tell if she's ready? She doesn't look any different.
I have a link here showing a picture of her in my hand I took today. It also shows her current enclosure. And yes, I know I shouldn't have her in a glass enclosure. That's what we got in the beginning and stuff, but I'm gonna try to order a flexarium today.
If she has a respiratory infection, how would I be able to tell? :(
Thank you for all of your help, by the way, I appreciate it so much!
Here's the link to the picture: http://riseofthevulpes.tumblr.com/private/17279954319/tumblr_lz3fxyNadZ1qe6a34
Click on the pictures to expand them~

they can lay eggs as early as 6 months or so. She has the yellow mustard spots so she is sexually mature. She does not look that fat in the pics but I cannot tell too much from the way you are holding her. usually they will quit eating, and start roamin to the bottom of the cage looking for a place to lay. They will also look fatter. Honestly, that set up is just all wrong. How are you providing hydration for her? Please remove the substrate(the wood) She could injest that accidentally shooting for prey and if she swallos that wood, well it is not a going to be a good situation. They need heighth! Please try and get her out of that tank asap. In the mean time she will need a laying bin as I stated. unfortunately you have no room in there it seems. When they have a RI they will hold their mouths open for long periods of timie. They can have excess saliva in their mouths. If your temps are too hot, that can cause her to hold her mouth open as she is trying to thermoregulate.

i just looked at the pic from above and yes, she looks pretty plump. You need to get her a laying bin. If you don't she will become eggbound and she will die. The wood is not sufficient for her to lay eggs. Also, that waterfall has to go. Remove that and make room for a bin. Her cage needs to be misted or a dripper provided for water. what kind of lights are you using. You need TWO. A uvb and a basking (uva)

I feel like a bad pet owner now :(
Like I said, we're trying to get the flexarium for her. Things have been tight with money, but we should be able to afford it. Do you know where/what I should be getting to put in the flexarium? I do have the uva and uvb lights for her, and I mist her tank 4 times a day, usually.
Also, by play sand do you mean the stuff you use for like.. sandboxes?
In the mean time before I get the enclosure in the mail, what should I do for the bottom of the enclosure?

Dont feel that way. We are here to help and get you on the right track. Here is a blog for you to read from one of our members about egg laying. Please read it carefully. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html Yes, it is regular playsand and it is VERY important that you get that in there for her to lay eggs if she needs to. i think she has eggs by your pics. Even if she does not, she can lay them at any time and you must provide this for her. In the bottom of the cage, you want to leave it bare. It might not look pretty, but it is the most sanitary and healthy way to go. Tell me what your temps are in that tank please? Overall tank temp and under basking light.What kind of uvb light are you using? Be specific if you can. Want to make sure you are using the right one.

Hi. Your girl is really pretty! The moving around the cage could also signal that she is receptive and looking for a mate. Her coloring says that to me as well. This doesn't mean you don't have to worry about eggs - even if she isn't going to lay right NOW, she will be ready to soon.

As recommended a laying bin is needed and a simple bucket with moist sand will work. As her cage is small you can have it outside her cage and put her in it. Give her some time and see if she shows an interest in digging/laying.

To compare - here is a photo of my girl that I just took. She has similar coloring to yours and is also a bit plump. She is not going to be laying anytime soon though. I know this from experience with her laying a few clutches last year.

This is just to reassure you that your girl isn't going to drop dead from egg binding overnight. You need to take the proper steps and I would definitely get a laying bin ready (you can get the sand and a bucket at home depot for less than $10) and getting her a larger cage is a very good idea and will only help her remain happy and healthy.

From the photo you posted she looks healthy so you've been doing a good job and now you know how to improve and keep her that way.

oozle2.jpg

Thank you, both! I didn't know that you could have the bin outside of the cage, so the one I have in her cage might be a tad small... So if she doesn't show interest, I'll get something bigger and put it outside of the tank.

Also, what about the shedding thing? Is that a problem?

yes, if you read jannb's blog I attached for you, she actually put her chameleon in a large trash can outside of the cage for her to lay. You had mentioned her mouth opening before. What are your cage temps? You don't want to overheat your chameleon. Especially a female as higher temps are said to lead to egg laying.

Hi. Your girl is really pretty! The moving around the cage could also signal that she is receptive and looking for a mate. Her coloring says that to me as well. This doesn't mean you don't have to worry about eggs - even if she isn't going to lay right NOW, she will be ready to soon.

As recommended a laying bin is needed and a simple bucket with moist sand will work. As her cage is small you can have it outside her cage and put her in it. Give her some time and see if she shows an interest in digging/laying.
the op mentioned in the first post that the chameleon was not interested in eating. Is that a sign of being receptive? I thought that was when they were gravid that they lose appetite?. You don't think the chameleon looks wide in the back from the overhead pic? BTW you have a very pretty female!!!!

the op mentioned in the first post that the chameleon was not interested in eating. Is that a sign of being receptive? I thought that was when they were gravid that they lose appetite?. You don't think the chameleon looks wide in the back from the overhead pic? BTW you have a very pretty female!!!!

Good point - didn't catch on the not eating. Honestly, my female veiled never stops eating so I'm not sure what "normal" eating behavior would be in the case of being gravid for a veiled. She does tend to be more active and distracted when she is receptive rather than gravid.

Yes, she is wide but not as much as I've seen mine get before laying. My females tend to be wider in general - his also didn't look lumpy from that photo. I do agree that the OP needs a laying bin pretty quickly - I was just trying to get him to take a breath and not feel like he was doing a terrible job and get overwhelmed - his girl looks good so despite having a couple changes needed he is on the right track.

And I could be completely wrong as I am judging from photos and unfamiliar with his girl and her patterns and behavior!

and thanks - she is my baby!

Good point - didn't catch on the not eating. Honestly, my female veiled never stops eating so I'm not sure what "normal" eating behavior would be in the case of being gravid for a veiled. She does tend to be more active and distracted when she is receptive rather than gravid.

Yes, she is wide but not as much as I've seen mine get before laying. My females tend to be wider in general - his also didn't look lumpy from that photo. I do agree that the OP needs a laying bin pretty quickly - I was just trying to get him to take a breath and not feel like he was doing a terrible job and get overwhelmed - his girl looks good so despite having a couple changes needed he is on the right track.

And I could be completely wrong as I am judging from photos and unfamiliar with his girl and her patterns and behavior!

and thanks - she is my baby!

hey, I don't even own a female, but just going by what I have seen on here for the past few years. you gave good advice and I know, not trying to freak the op out but just don't want him to procrastinate in getting a bin and creating unnecessary problems!

She didn't seem too interested in the laying bins... I'll try some more over the next couple of days... I'm really worried about the eating, still. We also ordered a new enclosure, so we should be getting it in the mail soon!
I didn't think she looked too different from normal, honestly. I don't know... I'm ridiculously worried about her but that's kind of how I am with everything... but if you could help me out with the eating problems, i'd really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom