tap water vs. distilled water

NashansCamos

Chameleon Enthusiast
Besides leaving ugly limescale on the glass and leaves, what harm is tap water?

If I am missing something clinical like a big no no vitamin in tap water, then excuse me. I am no expert

I put spring or distilled water in my mister. I would think tap water would be fine as long as it does not have too much chloromines.
In england it is hard and expensive to get distilled water. I have noticed limescale but nothing else. It is the water that I drink and comes out of the main sink. In england people drink out of the sink.

I just use bottled because the water quality in usa really has a lot to be desired. Way to much chlorine in it, ugh and with all the old pipes in our infrastructure I just don't trust it.
If I wouldn't drink it then it's not good enough for my animals..

Imo distilled water is better to use in equipment such as misters or foggers but perfectly ok for all other applications.
We grew up drinking out of the hose in the front yard without any problems?

Besides leaving ugly limescale on the glass and leaves, what harm is tap water?

If I am missing something clinical like a big no no vitamin in tap water, then excuse me. I am no expert
It really depends on where you live, i.e. the source. There may be very little, or there may be a lot.
Finding out what is actually in your local tap water also depends on where you live.
For example, I can find pages of analyses of everything found in my own local tap water, but I find almost nothing (specifics) on tap water anywhere in the UK other than blanket statements that it's "safe". (They do admit to purification chemicals, calcium & magnesium salts, microplastics, and lead)

So they said (it's "safe") about the water in Flint, MI and elsewhere. :rolleyes:
(It's made us a little skeptical here in the US)

...until I found this:
Do you know what’s in your tap water? (UK specific)
There are over 330 identified man-made chemicals detected in UK top water to date – 2016.

I'm surprised distilled water is expensive and hard to get there, but we're not talking about supplying your entire household—we're talking about enough for a lizard. Another option to distilled is Reverse Osmosis (R.O.) which AFAIK is a fancy type of filtering. I can get distilled for about $0.69US per US gal.

Can anyone give a figure on how much distilled water their chameleon enclosure goes through on a weekly or monthly basis? (dripping, misting, fogging, plants combined)

I'd chalk it up to cost of keeping the little booger, but we use it for so many other things, it'd be hard to separate out.

It really depends on where you live, i.e. the source. There may be very little, or there may be a lot.
Finding out what is actually in your local tap water also depends on where you live.
For example, I can find pages of analyses of everything found in my own local tap water, but I find almost nothing (specifics) on tap water anywhere in the UK other than blanket statements that it's "safe". (They do admit to purification chemicals, calcium & magnesium salts, microplastics, and lead)

So they said (it's "safe") about the water in Flint, MI and elsewhere. :rolleyes:
(It's made us a little skeptical here in the US)

...until I found this:
Do you know what’s in your tap water? (UK specific)

I'm surprised distilled water is expensive and hard to get there, but we're not talking about supplying your entire household—we're talking about enough for a lizard. Another option to distilled is Reverse Osmosis (R.O.) which AFAIK is a fancy type of filtering. I can get distilled for about $0.69US per US gal.

Can anyone give a figure on how much distilled water their chameleon enclosure goes through on a weekly or monthly basis? (dripping, misting, fogging, plants combined)

I'd chalk it up to cost of keeping the little booger, but we use it for so many other things, it'd be hard to separate out.
Yup exactly my point about the fact that the infrastructure is questionable anymore. Water test is a great idea. They have those test kits at home depot and Lowe's. Easy enough to do.

Yup exactly my point about the fact that the infrastructure is questionable anymore. Water test is a great idea. They have those test kits at home depot and Lowe's. Easy enough to do.
I drink tap water in england. Everybody does. When i lived in cali i drank spring water. I think i'll stick to tap as Other enthusiasts use it - limescale is not a big issue(except for my fogger) but I will def look in to whats in it

so the tap water is treated with chemicals, comes from reservoirs, and contains small amounts of chlorine

• Liquified chlorine
  • Sodium silicofluoride
  • Aluminium sulphate
  • Fluorosilicic acid
  • Calcium hydroxide
  • and others

oh yeah its expensive. the cheapest was (i did the math) 6.10gbp per us gallon

I've searched high and low for good water because I have a condition Hyperthyroidism. I found it and now use it on myself, family, plants and pets. It is fantastic. It is called the Berkey Water Filter System. It even removes fluoride which has caused several of my heath problems. Here's the link: https://www.berkeywaterfilter.com/

The thing is my plants have shown the most improvements. Their leaves are glowy green and not turning funny in any way.

I use this water on my chameleon with great success. He plays in the drip stream for hours looking very happy.

As for me my condition is slowly getting better. I've tried a few water filters and this is the best for the price. I think it is better than distilled water.

I've searched high and low for good water because I have a condition Hyperthyroidism. I found it and now use it on myself, family, plants and pets. It is fantastic. It is called the Berkey Water Filter System. It even removes fluoride which has caused several of my heath problems. Here's the link: https://www.berkeywaterfilter.com/

The thing is my plants have shown the most improvements. Their leaves are glowy green and not turning funny in any way.

I use this water on my chameleon with great success. He plays in the drip stream for hours looking very happy.

As for me my condition is slowly getting better. I've tried a few water filters and this is the best for the price. I think it is better than distilled water.
i'm in the uk thats an american website

My biggest concern with the RO units is the amount of waste water they produce. I thought about using one for a drinking water system a while back, but I feel like water is resource to be a little careful with. Are you guys diverting the waste line into your hot water heater or is it just draining away? Most units waste at least 4 gallons for every gallon of RO water they produce.
I have one I used with my reef tank years ago, but haven't hooked it back up. I suppose my chams water needs are a lot less than my tank was.

Back
Top Bottom