Tap/Hose Water OK for Outdoor Cage?

DonKeesh

Chameleon Enthusiast
How harmful, if at all, is it use normal tap water from an outdoor hose to water chameleon? Misting system is installed inside and I use RO to prevent build up in mist heads, however for quick few hour trips into the real sun I don't want to bring all the equipment out, but still want to offer water through spraying/misting with hose. Thoughts?

I think as long as it's one in a while it will be okay to use tap water. I think the chameleon will benefit far more from the natural sunlight then a few mistings with tap water. However, you might want to consider getting a hand held, manual mister, that way there is no concern and you can still give them the RO water.

My cham gets hose water everyday in the summer. We have well water with a water softener system ( honestly I'm new to these things and have not much of a clue what it does other than soften the water lol). Just had the water tested before we moved in too. I turn the hose mister setting on every morning for anywhere from 30 min to a few hrs unless it rains. In which case I don't water him at all.

My cham gets hose water everyday in the summer. We have well water with a water softener system ( honestly I'm new to these things and have not much of a clue what it does other than soften the water lol). Just had the water tested before we moved in too. I turn the hose mister setting on every morning for anywhere from 30 min to a few hrs unless it rains. In which case I don't water him at all.
Idk why but as I read this I couldnt stop singing this song in my head :notworthy:

Any thoughts on if RO water is really only needed for the benefit of our mist nozzles? Is there any data to suggest that normal tap water IS actually harmful?

We use RO water inside and outside. We installed an RO system when we first started keeping chameleons. We bought bottled water till the RO was installed.

Last edited:
Keep in mind folks, most outdoor spigots are not ran through the softener. This kinda has 2 things going from it. It means the water should have lower salt content, and should have higher calcium content. So plants may get white build up much faster, and say GG to a high pressure misting system as it will super clog.

Probably not, but I'd like to know as well.

Most people just go by, if you'd drink it, your cham can. I drink my water so I give it to my chams.

We used to have a saying in science class "1st world bathing water is 3rd world drinking water" .

Guess its better than the simpsons show water "if its brown drink it down, if its black send it back"

Back
Top Bottom