Tanzanian Cham

AlexF

Here's a picture of a wild cham in Tanzania. Anyone know the species?

Alex

Attachments

• DSC_0419.jpg
    DSC_0419.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 287
I WAS leaning towards Chamaeleo gracilis, but the casque lobes look pretty large and was throwing me off. Which doesnt help because its out of focus.

Now Im going to go with Chamaeleo dilepis

Last edited:
I was in Tanzania 2 years ago where they have exportation faculties and I saw quite few of these by lake Manyara, just north of Arusha. Casques varying in height, I think they are Ch. Gracilis, but what do I know.

Thanks for the response. The photos are not the best because they were taken by my father. Here are a few more.

Attachments

• DSC_0420.jpg
    DSC_0420.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC_0421.jpg
    DSC_0421.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 289
  • DSC_0423.jpg
    DSC_0423.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 269
Due to C. C. gracilis not displaying the large occipital lobes, I'm pretty definate that it is a C. C. delepis.
gracilis:
gracilis.jpg

delepis:
delepisfemale.jpg

Last edited:
The delipis group has alot of variation, there is a article commin up in chameleon news about them looks like one of the delipis to me (there are 6 or more subspecies of delipis) could also be C.roperi or a few others that look very similar

Roperi female
DSC06073.jpg

DSC06075.jpg

delipis delipis female
DSC06415.jpg

delipis delipis male
DSC06216.jpg

DSC05987.jpg

MicheleSmith said:
I was in Tanzania 2 years ago where they have exportation faculties and I saw quite few of these by lake Manyara, just north of Arusha. Casques varying in height, I think they are Ch. Gracilis, but what do I know.
i was there in january but wasnt able to spot any chams on my safari

I'm sure it's a animal from the chamaeleon dilepis group. But which for I can not say by these pics.

where is the animal found?

Back
Top Bottom