Tamatave showing no interest in food.

GinBlack

Hey guys, I know chams tend to refuse to eat every now and then. But anyone have an idea how long of not eating is acceptable? He is a year old and use to eat like a pig. At one point he stopped eating crickets and would give me a dirty look as if to say your feeding me that crap! Then his fav was the hornworms but now he doesn't want them either.

He doesn't look dehydrated or like he's loosing weight. I just worry that after a week it'll become an issue.

Just a worried Cham Mom!

What is your range of feeders? How many types are you feeding? How much and how often? They can easily go two weeks if they are healthy.

Yes, sometimes they will just turn their little noses up at everything! I wouldn't be too worried just yet, and try introducing something he has never had before. Mine love moths. I catch them at night around my outdoor lights.

Just be patient try to wait them out. A lot of mine do that also that's why I stopped feeding superworms. I have one male that is being very stubborn right now hope this helps

Thanks for your reply everyone!

Hes offered crickets, mealworms, butterworms, hornworms and roaches.

For about a month he hasnt eaten the crickets and roaches.

I'll wait it out and see. He's plump and vibrant so again not to worried. But I was use to him being a glutton!!

The fact that he's not eating crickets and roaches sounds like he's just being picky. Don't offer him food for two days and then only offer him crickets or roaches until he eats them on a regular basis for at least 4 feedings in a row.

Yeah I'll give that a shot. I offered him a mealworm earlier but he didn't go for it. So gonna give him a break with all foods for a few days then offer him something later on.

Thanks for the post!

Have you tried black soldier fly larvae? Seems to be my chameleon's favorite food item. He always eats them when presented.

Back
Top Bottom