Taking Wild Chameleons: Effects of the Pet Trade on Wild Populations…

Heather Frank from the University of Buffalo does not like people keeping chameleons as pets. That’s all I got from the article. And I’m not sure if she was a student or what.

Thanks for sharing the article.

There is more than one big parts the article forgets. When keeping these exotic species, people become well aquainted to problems in other parts of the world that people would normally not have a clue about. The keepers become alert to world issues and can choose to become part of a solution.

Plus keeping exotic specimens can give people (young people) outs and academic outs from activities such as drugs, gangs and other problem some activities. These outs can lead to productive activities and progress towards solutions. This can lead to sustainable practices for collecting or producing specimens and progress of productive captive husbandry of these specimens.

The article is a good read.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I think she wants responsible management of chameleons to exist…
“20 years ago it was nearly impossible to keep chameleons alive in captivity. Today it can be done through responsible and consistent care”…
“We will only continue progressing and I
believe we should take any chance we have at preserving sp. of chameleons.”…

I think she wants responsible management of chameleons to exist…
“20 years ago it was nearly impossible to keep chameleons alive in captivity. Today it can be done through responsible and consistent care”…
“We will only continue progressing and I
believe we should take any chance we have at preserving sp. of chameleons.”…
I think any species that is IUCN threatened with extinction (Vulnerable listing, Endangered listing, and Critically Endangered listings) should not be allowed in the trade/captive populations. I say let the conservation biologist due their jobs and restore/conserve Endangered wild populations. The only species that should be allowed are specimens that can be collected/shipped with sustainable practices. That is specimens collected with high fecundatcy or possibly ranched or farmed species in the species native country.

The chameleon hobby captive husbandry practices for chameleons have come a long way. Many species that were thought to be impossible to breed in captivity have now been bred somewhat regularly. Plus sepcies are living much longer in captivity. That is huge progress for the hobby.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
There are some legit agenda's/issues in the Chameleon Keeping Hobby.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
I mean your not wrong however the problems she’s discussing I think are iffy as she discusses that chameleons aren’t met for the pet trade yet I don’t think the main problem resides within the states or from people keeping chameleons as pets. the problem is in mainland Africa as they despise chameleons and believe that chameleons are related to death and many other bad omens which effects the way many of these animals are coming in. Sp coming out of mad are decently regulated for the most part besides some species coming in as others but besides that unless the importers teach the capturers how to ship the animals the problem will continue. i personally think she is reaching with the whole chameleons shouldn’t be pets, I feel as she could have worded the document differently however it seemed like her focus was how can we stop chameleons within the trade instead of how can we responsibly be keeping/importing these animals.

I mean your not wrong however the problems she’s discussing I think are iffy as she discusses that chameleons aren’t met for the pet trade yet I don’t think the main problem resides within the states or from people keeping chameleons as pets. the problem is in mainland Africa as they despise chameleons and believe that chameleons are related to death and many other bad omens which effects the way many of these animals are coming in. Sp coming out of mad are decently regulated for the most part besides some species coming in as others but besides that unless the importers teach the capturers how to ship the animals the problem will continue. i personally think she is reaching with the whole chameleons shouldn’t be pets, I feel as she could have worded the document differently however it seemed like her focus was how can we stop chameleons within the trade instead of how can we responsibly be keeping/importing these animals.
Along with that some species are past the point of conservation and need preservation without the trade of chameleons some will eventually become extinct in the wild aswell as captivity. There’s a happy medium to everything the chameleon trade just needs to find that and I think there’s been a lot of progress towards that with that said imo this document is just bashing chameleons and not really coming up with any resolution to her complaints

Along with that some species are past the point of conservation and need preservation without the trade of chameleons some will eventually become extinct in the wild aswell as captivity. There’s a happy medium to everything the chameleon trade just needs to find that and I think there’s been a lot of progress towards that with that said imo this document is just bashing chameleons and not really coming up with any resolution to her complaints
X2. That is for the most part what I stated above. However I think conservation/restorations can save Endangered species of chamleons. However that agenda and issues has got to progress a lot more on Madagascar and mainland Africa.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

This paper was written by a law student at the University of Buffalo. I don’t know why this paper was posted on the forums or why anyone cares. I could write a paper on spider monkeys based on books in the library. Would you care to hear about my opinion on spider monkeys? I hope they got an A but beyond that….

If your paper about Spider Monkeys was well done I would read that paper.

The important/main reseason to read papers, such as this one, is they state agenda's and issues that the industry/hobby can/has to progress and imporove about. You can have benchmarks of where the hobby could best progress and improve then move forward to the degree that new milestones are made(breeding certain species). That meaning although a paper such as this is somewhat negative towards the industry/hobby, reading articles that naysay with a grain of salt is important because milestones can be made.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

If your paper about Spider Monkeys was well done I would read that paper.

The important/main reseason to read papers, such as this one, is they state agenda's and issues that the industry/hobby can/has to progress and imporove about. You can have benchmarks of where the hobby could best progress and improve then move forward to the degree that new milestones are made(breeding certain species). That meaning although a paper such as this is somewhat negative towards the industry/hobby, reading articles that naysay with a grain of salt is important because milestones can be made.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
somewhat true however articles like this should be left to the professionals people who have 1st hand experience this lady is practically just blabbing about nonsense (her opinion on chameleons) her opinion is irrelevant considering there is no first hand experience nor does she have any biological background.

How do you know this is one and the same person? When I google that name quite a few sites come up.
not sure about the reality firm part however it mentions her school aswell as what she was majoring [Law] in on the article. Also I doubt there the two people with the same name first and last in close proximity to eachother

How do you know this is one and the same person? When I google that name quite a few sites come up.
Easy. The article is dated April of 2017. The author identifies herself as Heather Frank from the University of Buffalo. So now we are looking online for a Heather Frank who was a student at University or Buffalo in April of 2017. Lo and behold, a LinkedIn profile shows up for Heather Frank who works outside of Buffalo NY and went to University at Buffalo School of Law from 2015 to 2018. And now she works for a realty company. It’s a student’s research paper.

somewhat true however articles like this should be left to the professionals people who have 1st hand experience this lady is practically just blabbing about nonsense (her opinion on chameleons) her opinion is irrelevant considering there is no first hand experience nor does she have any biological background.
It’s just a student’s research paper with no stated claim of first hand experience.

It’s just a student’s research paper with no stated claim of first hand experience.
I found perspective in this paper. However this perspective was not first hand information. The paper was well written and researched. I think this paper overlooked a lot of modern chameleon hobby accomplishments though.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom