Taking Jackson to vet Friday - need some advice

luvbug237

Hello all - I am having an issue with my Jackson, Derpy... I see poops but no urates... I am actually noticing some puddles on the floor by his poops like his urates are completely liquid... what could this be please??

I have checked around the plants but haven't seen a urate for about two weeks. He eats and drinks normal, he acts normal and is very active! I am taking him to the vet on Friday for some tests but would like some input please before I go.

Also can anyone do a search or recommend a repitable vet for chameleons up here in Anchorage Alaska? I am currently taking him to a place where the reptile vet isn't around all the time (which I do like). It's not just a regualr vet pretending to know about reptiles so that's nice.
THANK YOU!

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male Jackson about 2 years old
Handling - Only when putting him back in his cage after free range
Feeding - Crickets, super and hornworms
Supplements - Calcium without D3 everyday and vitamins w/ D3 once every 2-4 weeks
Watering - I have a dripper, fogger and mister for each of my chams
Fecal Description - Brown and normal - no urate though

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 18x18x36 screen
Lighting - house bulb for heat - tube UVB
Temperature - bottom around 60 - top/basking 80ish
Humidity - today this morning it was a little low at 40... but i try to keep it high around 70 for my Jackson
Plants - Live "banana leaf" type plant... some fake leaves around
Placement - Located in computer room w/ not a lot of movement around, high off the floor on stand
Location - Anchorage AK

Sometimes my Jax's droppings will separate: the urate will fall one direction and the solid waste another. My enclosure is heavily planted, so often all I find is one or the other. Finding a small amount of clear gel with a firm brown fecal is not uncommon. Happened yesterday, as a matter of fact...on the kitchen floor (thanks, Ferdinand).

I don't think it's anything to panic about so long as he is eating and drinking well and still leaving droppings.

Maybe one of the vets or another Jax owner can jump in?

I am still a little worried because it has been awhile since I've seen a firm urate. I have searched and searched and I can't find anything but dried puddles on the floor of his cage... I really appreciate your response and would love a vet or another senior to pop in :) thanks!!

I am still a little worried because it has been awhile since I've seen a firm urate. I have searched and searched and I can't find anything but dried puddles on the floor of his cage... I really appreciate your response and would love a vet or another senior to pop in :) thanks!!

I'd be more concerned if I was finding harder urates around the cage. They shouldn't be all that firm really. That would mean the material is taking more time to pass through the gut. The more water they are absorbing the less concentrated the urates tend to be, so he's drinking very well.

I should have posted a picture of this earlier so I am understood correctly :) I am not seeing urate AT ALL... just dry puddles... I haven't cleaned the bottom for a couple days so I could see and this poop and dried stuff is new from today (hours old from now of course)

Attachments

• 01-27-14 012.jpg
    01-27-14 012.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 130
I wouldn't be too worried if a urate is missing, especially if he is eating and drink inking well. Stool looks a little loose though, so I might doing a fecal +/- deworming.
Should be fine until you can get him in later this week.

Sometimes my Jax's droppings will separate: the urate will fall one direction and the solid waste another.

This is of my experience as well. Sometimes hard to locate these things :p

Though I am curious as to why you are supplementing calcium w/o D3 every day? Like a Veiled would need?

Good luck @ the vets! Keep us updated.

Though I am curious as to why you are supplementing calcium w/o D3 every day? Like a Veiled would need?

It was my understanding that chameleons need calcium with every feeding. I did just take a look at the care sheet on the forum and it does in fact say to only do calcium w/o D3 twice a week. That is a detail I have overlooked for sure. Thank you so much for pointing this out for me. I will be correcting this immediately!

Afterwards

Well... not the best news but certainly not the worst. I am taking him back in on Sunday for surgery to remove the abscess on his chin. You can see it pretty good here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-jackson-derpy-117604/

The abscess has gotten bigger over the last year. I did take him to the vet to have it checked out a year ago, the vet gave me some creame but nothing happened. Now she insists that we remove it. Hopefully I am making the right choice to have the abscess removed.

The stool and liquid urate I was lucky enough to collect just this morning showed no signs of anything bad but with the issue of him not urating in a solid form leads her to believe he may have some kidney issues so while he is "under" :( they will take some blood samples.

I sure am heartbroken for my little guy thinking about kidney failure and all that :(:(

Well... not the best news but certainly not the worst. I am taking him back in on Sunday for surgery to remove the abscess on his chin. You can see it pretty good here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-jackson-derpy-117604/

The abscess has gotten bigger over the last year. I did take him to the vet to have it checked out a year ago, the vet gave me some creame but nothing happened. Now she insists that we remove it. Hopefully I am making the right choice to have the abscess removed.

The stool and liquid urate I was lucky enough to collect just this morning showed no signs of anything bad but with the issue of him not urating in a solid form leads her to believe he may have some kidney issues so while he is "under" :( they will take some blood samples.

I sure am heartbroken for my little guy thinking about kidney failure and all that :(:(

Removing an abscess like that is the right call if it continues to grow. In a way, its lucky he has to undergo a procedure that creates the opportunity to take blood while he's under. Better to know about a possible kidney issue before it progresses.

Thank you both. I can't believe my little guy needs surgery! I do feel better about it being the right thing to do and not think it's just the vet wanting some more money out of me. :eek: I drop him off tomorrow at 4pm.. I don't think he has to stay over night but I believe he will be at the vet for a few hours.

Well ... of course the unexpected happened and I am still without answers. :(

So the plan was that he got put under to remove the abscess and while under get a blood sample for a possible kidney issue. They just cut his chin open to let some fluids drain, they didn't "remove" anything. I have Brand of Gentamicin Sulfate Ophthalmic Ointment USP, 0.3% to put on the cut twice a day.

They didn't put him under to do this nor we're they able to get a blood sample. She said she poked him three times but wasn't able to get anything. She didn't want to keep poking him in case of blood clots and damage it may cause. I understand completely but again, without answers to his bathroom issue. She said we can try again in two once once his chin heals a good deal and his tail heals from being poked. My poor little guy - I hope waiting doesn't cause further damage to whatever he may have. Gosh, if he were to pass away in the next couple weeks I will never forgive myself!

While he was away I cleaned the heck out of his enclosure so he would come home to a nice clean bed. I sure love him and hate the uncertainty!

He is doing just fine this morning - even when I got him home last night he just starting cruising around his enclosure... he seemed to want out actually. He was out ALL weekend so mommy had to say no more! He was even his bright green self like nothing had happend. :D

I put the cream on his chin and gave him some crickets this morning before I left for work but he didnt' seem too interested in eating. The light had just kicked on so I don't think he was quite awake and ready for them. While cleaning his enclosure last night the timer got set forward an hour some how lol

Derpy drank a ton of water yesterday so I am waiting for him to urate again to see what happens. Hopefully it should be today.

Sorry they weren't able to do the blood draw. But, I am happy to hear that he's active and drinking. :)

I am so sorry Lovebug, I will be praying for him, he will be ok. I know its hard to believe with as fragile as they are, but dont get discouraged. Thinking of you guys.

He is doing just fine this morning - even when I got him home last night he just starting cruising around his enclosure... he seemed to want out actually. He was out ALL weekend so mommy had to say no more! He was even his bright green self like nothing had happend. :D

I put the cream on his chin and gave him some crickets this morning before I left for work but he didnt' seem too interested in eating. The light had just kicked on so I don't think he was quite awake and ready for them. While cleaning his enclosure last night the timer got set forward an hour some how lol

Derpy drank a ton of water yesterday so I am waiting for him to urate again to see what happens. Hopefully it should be today.

I still think he's probably OK. The urate thing may be something you can keep an eye on, but it just doesn't sound like a crisis to me. I would rather see more liquidy urates from an active cham than a less frequent, densely concentrated one from a cham that doesn't drink well.

Back
Top Bottom