Taking Dexter to the vet today.

Snootchie0210

I noticed yesterday that Dexter was opening his mouth quite a bit yesterday. It wasn't the normal yawn or stretch he does when he's about to shed. I'm not about to take any chances so I made an appointment for a vet visit today.

If anybody has success stories regarding chameleons with respiratory infection please share them. So I'm not such a nervous wreck. I still have a few hours until Dexter's vet appointment.

Thanks.

Relax, it's not a death sentence by any means! If it is a RI, which you don't know at this point, it's usually something that clears up with a round of antibiotics, a slightly warmer basking spot, and a little time.

But relax, opening his mouth may not be a sign of anything serious. Sure that his basking spot wasn't warmer than usual, now that it's summer? He may have just been venting some heat.

Got back from the vet. No respiratory issues. He said Dexter seems healthy but a little on the thin side. He weighed in at 38 grams (he's 6 months old). It'll be tough trying to fatten him up. He already eats about 10-15 medium crickets a day.

The vet suggested I replace my UVB light. I've only had it for 4 months. But he explained that UVB bulbs usually runs 3-9 months. People just tend to say it's good for 6 months because its dead in the middle of its actual shelf life. He also suggested I bump up my temperature. The top of my cage is around 85-90 degrees right now. He suggested to bump it higher because he'll self regulate and climb lower if he's too hot. So I bumped my basking bulb from a 50 watt to a 75 watt.

Seems like sensible advice.

Yeah. He seems very knowledgable with chameleon. I went to his clinic because he specializes in small and exotic animals. Good feedback from clients too (a few of whom are chameleon owners).

He was very thorough too. He had a few other people in the waiting room but he took close to an hour going over proper husbandry. Even went in depth as to how gutloading crickets changes their protien to phosporous ratio. Felt like I was back in science class.

As far as the temperature he suggested. They actually make sense when he went over it. He explained that heat tend to dissipate on the side of screen enclosures as opposed to circulating in a glass or acrylic enclosures. He also explained that some MBD cases are not caused by lack of calcium but rather with enclosures that are not hot enough. He explained that even if crickets are gutloaded and dusted, if the enclosure are not at optimum temperature the chameleon does not digest the food properly and the calcium is not properly processed in its body.

Haha. Sorry about a long "blog". But some forum members might come across this and find this helpful.

very interesting. thats great to know.:)
thanks for sharing

You are welcome. But just take it with a grain of salt. I don't claim to be an expert, not by a longshot. Just sharing what the vet suggested.

He also cautioned me about the dangers of over dusting with calcium. He said some are too wary of MBD that they tend to overload on calcium. He said he's seen a few chameleon become sickly because they end up with calcified kidneys.

Just another thing to be mindful of. Hehe.

Got back from the vet. No respiratory issues. He said Dexter seems healthy but a little on the thin side. He weighed in at 38 grams (he's 6 months old). It'll be tough trying to fatten him up. He already eats about 10-15 medium crickets a day.

Superworms are a good way to fatten up a chameleon. They are economical and easy to keep, too. If you add superworms to the diet, though, do continue with the crickets. Superworms alone are not a balanced diet. Just an idea.

Superworms are a good way to fatten up a chameleon. They are economical and easy to keep, too. If you add superworms to the diet, though, do continue with the crickets. Superworms alone are not a balanced diet. Just an idea.

Yep. Got him some superworms. I had little success feeding him silkworm and hornworms. But he always go for the superworms. I guess it's cause they wriggle more than horns and silks.

Back
Top Bottom