Taking babies to shows

iPardalis

Avid Member
Site Sponsor
I am considering taking some 3-month-old panther chameleons to a few reptile shows in Maryland/VA. However, we all know chameleon enclosures are a bit more involved than other reptiles'. It takes a few days to get things right, and you always have to run back to the store or order something online to complete the setup.

I feel like you could only ethically sell to people who have their enclosure ready and have come to the show with the goal of finding a chameleon for it. Otherwise, you are knowingly sending that chameleon into a pretty stressful environment, and you have lost your leverage because they could walk away with the chameleon.

What are some of your showing strategies? Do you make a sale, but send the chameleon later once its enclosure is ready? I have only been to shows as a customer, so I'm just wondering if more experienced veterans are interested in sharing some war stories from the viewpoint of maximizing the chameleon's utility.

At the shows i have been to, the seller takes a deposit on the animals he/she has for sale, and then arrangements are made privately after the show. This way, the buyer is guaranteed that animal because the deposit was made, and the seller can ensure that the buyer is properly prepared (via pictures, emails, phone, etc.), prior to shipping the animal. This way, the buyer and seller have developed a rapport and can keep in touch with updates/pictures and so forth. That's the way we worked when I used to brees wirehaired dachshunds. At $1,200, we didn't want them going to just anyone.

I would not let the animal go at the show itself unless there had been some discussion with the person prior to purchase. I would want to know that they are at least on the right track and have the minimum requirements for success. Otherwise, I would take deposits and send after confirming the requirements are met. At least that way they are more set up for success. Although the option of selling the entire set up is good for some, it would reduce the chance of selling to someone who has everything already, so it should not be an absolute condition of sale.

It is so hard to let them go... :D

Thank you everyone! I really like the idea of taking deposits at the show and arranging everything else afterwards. Selling everything at once might be a bit risky and there is still a good chance they take a little while to get a fully functioning setup. And as @Decadancin mentioned, that may deter people who already has everything ready to go.

I think I'll give that strategy a go because I really don't feel comfortable sending them to a home that is not ready for them. My breeder (Bruce at Chameleon's Paradise) was really helpful teaching me the ropes, and I would like to pay it forward ;)

If you have a tablet or laptop, get some short videos of the animals you have for sale, and play them so prospective buyers can see just how healthy the animals are. You can tell so much more from a video, rather than just a still picture. And you can still play a little slide show of pictures between customers, to draw them over to your table. Make up supply lists for them to take, and get their contact information. That way, you can educate them before they get in over their heads and put your animals at risk. At least, that's how I would do it. And decide which shipper you want to use and print a little information about how their service works.

Back
Top Bottom