Tail Scale Rot? Vet comments?

lele

Avid Member
this is probably nothing - line under tail?

Cyrus has had this forever. Well, actually I first noticed after he had some blood drawn but I guess just because I was looking - that was about a year ago. It begin just behind his bulge and you can see where it ends. it looks like it is in a constant state of shed but never does (unless he sheds) and always looks the same. Can anyone just "shed" some light on it for me? Does everyone's panther have this? Luna never did so I am guessing it is a guy thing :cool:

thanks!

1658753439_f94dfaa7b2.jpg

I just went and checked Vega out, and he has something of the sort (that I never noticed before).His isn't as prominent b/c it isn't so light. It goes from the middle of his bulge down the base of his tail a bit, but not as far as Cyrus's. Humm maybe someone will know what it is.

lol! - I just got this visual of everyone lifting their chams tails and taking a peek! :eek: He's on a jungle gym above my head a lot so that is probably why I even notice it. Sometimes it seems more prominent - like today, thus the photo op! :D

I think your cham's is more noticeable but this exists on mine, as well.

I think it has to do with the male system in that area. No more comments as there are kids here.

Lights were out when I replied. But I do know there is a line of some sort there, but I havent noticed a discolouration like this.

I should have worded the last post different, but compared to the scales around the area that appear 'normal' and as much as I can remember from last time I was liftin' tails to peek, it resembles scale rot.

Lights were out when I replied. But I do know there is a line of some sort there, but I havent noticed a discolouration like this.

I should have worded the last post different, but compared to the scales around the area that appear 'normal' and as much as I can remember from last time I was liftin' tails to peek, it resembles scale rot.

I just looked back in old pics to see if I had anything to compare it to and now you have me wondering as it does seem more pronounced. What would cause it? He is certainly not in high humidity (fungal). I did just change his cage set up and gave him new plants. He has not eaten for several days (actually many) but he does that from time to time. But now you are getting me worried. :confused:

My vet won't be in until Thursday. Any suggestions in the meantime - just in case? Betadine or Silvadine (probably spelled that wrong)

I originally posted this under "this is probably nothing..." but Will H. now has me concerned so I decided to re-post. I tried to find info but could not find much except that it is also referred to as Ulcerative dermatitis. My herp vet will not be in until Thursday but will call tomorrow for an Appt. What can i do in the meantime. i have Betadine solution and Silvadine ointment on hand as well as the usual human medicine cabinet things (hydrogen peroxide, etc.)

Here is the pic again - thanks!
1658753439_f94dfaa7b2.jpg

Jungle gym photos

Lele, I would love to see a picture of your jungle gym that you created for Cyrus.

Hi Liz,

I have pics here: Cyrus' jungle gym

not sure about the order but it'll give you an idea. I also have old jungle gym pictures for my veiled done with rope and plastic/silk plants vines here:Luna's gym Look at the albums: Luna's Jungle gym and Luna's morning stretch.
Cyrus can't grasp them as well, thus the jungle vine.

lele:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much Lele, for the photos those jungle gyms are amazing. You are so creative to have set that up :). I want to think about doing something like that too.

Line on underside of tail........

Male panthers have a line of pores on the underside of the tail. They are similar to femoral pores on the underside of the back legs of other lizard species. These pores are very tiny. They secrete a very tiny amount of scent that is not visible to us but can be picked up by other male panthers. It rubs off on surfaces as the tail comes into contact with them. This line of pores becomes more noticeable as a male ages. It sheds differently than the rest of the tail too. The next time you have an older male that is shedding his tail, check out how it sheds on that line. With a younger male the shed will come off in one piece. In a male that is older it will break along that line and the skin will flake off on the line. On some males it can look like the tail is "dirty". Some of the secretions can build up over time on the surface of the tail. You can gently wash the area off with some antibacterial soap and water to see if it cleans up. There is nothing to worry about unless you see some sort of redness or actual abrasion. Hope this info is useful :)

The next time you have an older male that is shedding his tail, check out how it sheds on that line.
I only have one cham (he will be 2 in December) so none to compare it to and my previous was a female veiled.

You can gently wash the area off with some antibacterial soap and water to see if it cleans up. There is nothing to worry about unless you see some sort of redness or actual abrasion. Hope this info is useful :)

So this odd brownish/yellow color is not unusual?I will wash him tomorrow. He is pretty mellow and should let me do it.

Thanks!
lele :)

Hey lele,

Sorry I've been off doing other things....

I wasn't aware of the scent glands that PardalisGirl mentioned, though this seems fairly plausible. Manga had a line much smaller that looked fairly similar to this that came off when I increased the time the mister was on.

Cyrus is already used to baths. I don't think that as well as a little silvadine cream once a day for a few days would hurt to see if the skin will slough off. At the very least, you will see what type of cellular structure is underneath it. If it is like as scab and there is ebraded tissue, I'd lean more toward the scale rot. If it just looks like regular skin, then it was incomplete shedding.

Either way, it is not beneficial to let this skin stay on.

Matthew

OK, thanks, that makes sense. I'll use a very mild betadine solution(?) to wash with and then apply some silvadine. He drinks quite a bit a couple times a day and gets hand misted but hasn't shed for a while (he has been horrible about eating lately :mad: very fussy!) but maybe I'll start using his humidifier regularly again, it's getting to be that time of year. Hopefully this is nothing as I am going away in about a month and don't need more worries. Just found out my critter sitter is not going to be available (husband just diagnosed with lymphoma:( and have no idea what I am going to do as it is :confused:
- so no sick critters allowed.

Thanks for checking in ;)
lele

Hey lele,wats that mist lookin stuff thats comin up one of his pics when hes all curled up?

Back
Top Bottom