Tail Rot?

TheFlash

I just bought a female Jackson’s chameleons. The back of her tail is darkly colored. Here are some pics. Should I just send her to the vet?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 185
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 126
Welcome to the forums. I would keep a very close eye on that. It might move up her tail and if they have to amputate it would have to be amputated high up above the black. A new pet check up is always a good idea and get a good chameleon vets opinion. Do you have a vet? I might be able to recommend one.

Welcome to the forums. I would keep a very close eye on that. It might move up her tail and if they have to amputate it would have to be amputated high up above the black. A new pet check up is always a good idea and get a good chameleon vets opinion. Do you have a vet? I might be able to recommend one.
Yes, we have a herp vet that’ll look into it. When I pinch it, she runs faster, indicating that it either hurts if makes her feel comfortable. Thank you for your help!!!

Yes, we have a herp vet that’ll look into it. When I pinch it, she runs faster, indicating that it either hurts if makes her feel comfortable. Thank you for your help!!!

Does it move at all? I wonder if she got it caught in a door. Black like that is usually the result of some kind of trauma. If she can move it normally, or even partially, I wouldn't worry too much about it. A vet is unlikely to do anything about it.

Right now I am seeing if I can keep a very tiny baby chameleon alive after I shut a glass door on it and broke his back in the thoracic area. I did it January 20th when he was a little older than two weeks old. He's growing and getting more use of his back legs and tail but he's a real wreck.

I also have a wild caught adult that degloved his spinous processes on his sail fin on his tail. He ended up with a massive infection. I didn't do x-rays to monitor his progress, but he's pretty much recovered almost two years after the injury (import injury). At one point, his tail went black and completely limp. The vet and I discussed euthanizing him but we chose to treat with injected antibiotics. He had a few rounds of antibiotics and recovered. His tail is now green and he has use of it.

Other animals that I have heard of with black tails like that never get their color back.

Give it time.

When I first bought my female nosy be panther her tail looked like this but only on the bottom 1/4th. I monitored it and it did not change. Eventually, it just went away, her tail still has dents in it where the black was but she never lost movements or feeling in it. Does their tail regain full movement?

Back
Top Bottom