Tail problem

Ndatt10

Hey guys bought a translucent veiled from the ark pet store, good rep but I noticed this spot on his tail anyone have an idea what it is it was there when I got him. Also if you have any advice on how to upgrade his cage and items, I want to get a larger one (not sure where to look) real plants ect. Right now I have the reptibreeze mister running for a minute every hour. humidity is around 30 during the day and I use a humidifier to keep it around 60-70 at night. i Feed him about 9-12 small crickets a day.

Attachments

• EABB20AD-1306-4007-AAC9-9F1169ECEADC.jpeg
    EABB20AD-1306-4007-AAC9-9F1169ECEADC.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 109
  • F94527F3-288B-40DF-8BAC-F0A36D65BDB9.jpeg
    F94527F3-288B-40DF-8BAC-F0A36D65BDB9.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 116
  • FD976F78-7FC7-4864-B0D3-ACECEF08D250.jpeg
    FD976F78-7FC7-4864-B0D3-ACECEF08D250.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 135
Hey guys bought a translucent veiled from the ark pet store, good rep but I noticed this spot on his tail anyone have an idea what it is it was there when I got him. Also if you have any advice on how to upgrade his cage and items, I want to get a larger one (not sure where to look) real plants ect. Right now I have the reptibreeze mister running for a minute every hour. humidity is around 30 during the day and I use a humidifier to keep it around 60-70 at night. i Feed him about 9-12 small crickets a day.
Also, I got the crappy zoomed chameleon kit but got a few more plants, as well as a 100 w basking bulb that he seems to like

Attachments

• 29D5C07C-BA78-40F0-B37D-F2C06BB9E547.jpeg
    29D5C07C-BA78-40F0-B37D-F2C06BB9E547.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 86
You sure it's not just a translucent area? Does it curl up and grip normally?

Hi there and welcome! The tail looks to be a part of his translucent coloring, but it does have a suspicious partial kink. Definitely is something to keep close watch of.
Now, I’d like to offer some assistance that you haven’t asked for. :)
Many have started with the chameleon kit. Unfortunately, you’ll be needing to make many upgrades including eventually getting a much larger enclosure. The most important thing right now is to get the correct uvb, which is a linear T5 with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%. The screw in uvb bulbs aren’t able to provide adequate uvb levels any farther than about 2-3” down. You’ll want to elevate the linear uvb about 4-5 inches above the top of the enclosure and then have your basking area about 4” from the screen top. This total distance of 8-9” will give the ideal uvb level of 3.0.
Next important is supplements. This is one thing that Zoo Med did right. The plain calcium that the kit comes with, you’ll want to dust lightly every feeding. The Reptivite with D3 that comes with the kit is to be used one feeding every other week. I’ll attach the feeder and gutloading graphics for you. It’s important to keep your feeders well fed and healthy so that they are more nutritious for your cham. Rather than go on and risk overwhelming you, I want you to check out https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ On YouTube is Neptune the chameleon. After you’ve checked those out, come on back here and we’d love to help you with whatever we can to ensure you enjoy your chameleon for many happy and healthy years.
18D6B579-9F61-4838-9C1F-3D05E5523AAD.jpeg
786A2147-288A-4AA4-B131-3E3BFFA5434F.jpeg

The tail tip looks like it might have been pinched in a cage door or somewhere else similar.

As for the bump on the hip area...I noticed it but it might be nothing. I'd just keep an eye on it for now.

I have seen this issue with many different kinds of chameleons---- Panther, Veiled, Quads and someone currently has Jackson with it (don't remember thread). It never seems to bother or be the problem that causes health issues. I don't ever remember follow-ups if it were looked at as a health issue (but my memory isn't that great either). :cautious: (y) One thread "Female is 4 years old and it has never bothered her walking". JMHO (not a fact) it is a bone anomaly (maybe near the hip of the bones near the tail/hip/vertebra is shorter allowing this one (both sides) to stand out. If I recall it isn't even a food issue with needing to eat more. Just is..
Good eye and maybe someone that has direct knowledge will chime in- don't always trust what's in my brain housing group... Peace!
-

I have seen this issue with many different kinds of chameleons---- Panther, Veiled, Quads and someone currently has Jackson with it (don't remember thread). It never seems to bother or be the problem that causes health issues. I don't ever remember follow-ups if it were looked at as a health issue (but my memory isn't that great either). :cautious: (y) One thread "Female is 4 years old and it has never bothered her walking". JMHO (not a fact) it is a bone anomaly (maybe near the hip of the bones near the tail/hip/vertebra is shorter allowing this one (both sides) to stand out. If I recall it isn't even a food issue with needing to eat more. Just is..
Good eye and maybe someone that has direct knowledge will chime in- don't always trust what's in my brain housing group... Peace!
-
I didn’t even notice but everything I’ve found said it could be something that needs to be drained but everywhere said it never bothered their chams I’ll keep an eye on it

Hi there and welcome! The tail looks to be a part of his translucent coloring, but it does have a suspicious partial kink. Definitely is something to keep close watch of.
Now, I’d like to offer some assistance that you haven’t asked for. :)
Many have started with the chameleon kit. Unfortunately, you’ll be needing to make many upgrades including eventually getting a much larger enclosure. The most important thing right now is to get the correct uvb, which is a linear T5 with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%. The screw in uvb bulbs aren’t able to provide adequate uvb levels any farther than about 2-3” down. You’ll want to elevate the linear uvb about 4-5 inches above the top of the enclosure and then have your basking area about 4” from the screen top. This total distance of 8-9” will give the ideal uvb level of 3.0.
Next important is supplements. This is one thing that Zoo Med did right. The plain calcium that the kit comes with, you’ll want to dust lightly every feeding. The Reptivite with D3 that comes with the kit is to be used one feeding every other week. I’ll attach the feeder and gutloading graphics for you. It’s important to keep your feeders well fed and healthy so that they are more nutritious for your cham. Rather than go on and risk overwhelming you, I want you to check out https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ On YouTube is Neptune the chameleon. After you’ve checked those out, come on back here and we’d love to help you with whatever we can to ensure you enjoy your chameleon for many happy and healthy years.
View attachment 307996View attachment 307997
Thank you! I’ve been wondering about the UVB bulb because I heard it was bad. What kind of cage could I get? The one I have now is awful at holding humidity

Thank you! I’ve been wondering about the UVB bulb because I heard it was bad. What kind of cage could I get? The one I have now is awful at holding humidity
Veiled chameleons only really need a 30-50% humidity. If you are having problems reaching that humidity you can always try a hybrid of glass and screen.

I didn’t even notice but everything I’ve found said it could be something that needs to be drained but everywhere said it never bothered their chams I’ll keep an eye on it
Since he is little- check the other side of his body. The issue I am talking about would be on both sides. That might clear things up.. I like pictures but sometimes it doesn't show everything.. Thanks for being concerned.

Since he is little- check the other side of his body. The issue I am talking about would be on both sides. That might clear things up.. I like pictures but sometimes it doesn't show everything.. Thanks for being concerned.
It is on both sides

When you have a chance can you take a few pics when basking and sleeping? Good time when curling tail.. Thanks! (y) Oops! and share

Nice shot! JMHO Since the color is probably the trans (as others have pointed out) and it has not turned black (which would indicate a bad thing) it should not be an issue to worry about. Seems like it still have full function some times. (y)
I guess it would be the hip issue now if it is birth related or problem. I think the first but would be cautious and as far as draining, it would have to be a pocket of something, not the bone. So a little more homework is needed for that diagnosis. JMO

Nice shot! JMHO Since the color is probably the trans (as others have pointed out) and it has not turned black (which would indicate a bad thing) it should not be an issue to worry about. Seems like it still have full function some times. (y)
I guess it would be the hip issue now if it is birth related or problem. I think the first but would be cautious and as far as draining, it would have to be a pocket of something, not the bone. So a little more homework is needed for that diagnosis. JMO
It does have a black spec or 2 on it but other than that there’s nothing

Back
Top Bottom