Tail not curling

JessG

Has any seen this happen at all? I only noticed it tonight. He gets around fine, I’m a little upset that I keep noticing off things with Gus, and if he does have health issues will be more upset that the breeder sold him to me.
I have made a vet appointment, from a small town only have one exotics vet and earliest he can book me in is 3 wEeks.

Attachments

• F7C158FA-3B80-497D-869D-3742EFCE8AFC.jpeg
    F7C158FA-3B80-497D-869D-3742EFCE8AFC.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 295
That's odd. Is it still like that? Could you post a few more pictures just for a better look?
Yes it is :(. I will take some tomorrow. As he’s sleeping right now. But. Do you think he’s front leg looks funny? Besides the missing toes. It looks really big. Unless that’s how panthers look.

Attachments

• 8B75AC19-B2B7-4722-B23E-9A8C32E1F289.jpeg
    8B75AC19-B2B7-4722-B23E-9A8C32E1F289.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 280
JessG I've seen this happen to a chameleon of mine when it's tail got accidentally caught in the enclosure door as I closed it. Eventually the tail dies from the point which does not curl and it falls off. This could also be from a baby sibling biting it as what happened with the missing toes. Or maybe you closed his tail in by accident?

There is not much a vet can do with this and you might just be spending a lot of money on a consultation for nothing.

Is there a line of shedding at the point of no curling?

And other than the missing toes the leg looks fine. A discounted price on him would have been fair to ask for though.
I’ve only had him for about a week. I paid full price, without any knowledge of these “issues”. His tail was also like that when I got him, so I guess it makes sense that maybe a sibling bit it like his toes? I have contacted the breeder and asked him to switch a chameleon. Since I paid a lot of money for him, I feel I deserve a “healthy” Cham. Thanks for the reply :)

JessG I've seen this happen to a chameleon of mine when it's tail got accidentally caught in the enclosure door as I closed it. Eventually the tail dies from the point which does not curl and it falls off. This could also be from a baby sibling biting it as what happened with the missing toes. Or maybe you closed his tail in by accident?

There is not much a vet can do with this and you might just be spending a lot of money on a consultation for nothing.

Is there a line of shedding at the point of no curling?
He also has not had a shed yet, he was just finishing his shed when I received him. I will keep an eye out when he does shed. If there’s nothing on that part of his tail, does it mean it’s dead? It does move a little bit, but doesn’t have much strength in it.

Hi, I have a couple silly questions, so bear with me. How old is your Cham? Did you get him from a Breeder or store! How long have you had him? Is this your first cham? Some people/ places will sell chams with problems to people new to chameleons. That is a rotten thing to do, but sadly some people lack ethics! Even if you bought a cham with issues, you still may have a wonderful pet. Are you planning to breed at any point? If not I would take some of the best close up pictures you can get, and let some of the pros on here help you determine if you have problems that need a vet if a vet is not needed and you have a cham for a pet, I would give him a chance and see if the two of you bond! Some of the very best chams I have owned over the past 10+ years, were chams others thought were problems. I loved most of them all their lives. Ok maybe a couple of them were not my best choices, but that is life!

Hi, I have a couple silly questions, so bear with me. How old is your Cham? Did you get him from a Breeder or store! How long have you had him? Is this your first cham? Some people/ places will sell chams with problems to people new to chameleons. That is a rotten thing to do, but sadly some people lack ethics! Even if you bought a cham with issues, you still may have a wonderful pet. Are you planning to breed at any point? If not I would take some of the best close up pictures you can get, and let some of the pros on here help you determine if you have problems that need a vet if a vet is not needed and you have a cham for a pet, I would give him a chance and see if the two of you bond! Some of the very best chams I have owned over the past 10+ years, were chams others thought were problems. I loved most of them all their lives. Ok maybe a couple of them were not my best choices, but that is life!
Gus is 4/4.5 months old. I’ve had him for about over a week. I got him from a very well known breeder in Canada. I do not plan on breeding. He’s not my only cham, I also have a super translucent veiled female! I will try and get some close up pictures. Can I message them to you ? I’ve already bonded with him for than my female. I’ve had her a lot longer too lol! He is definitely such a sweet little guy. I’m just a little upset that the breeder never mentioned anything to me, and still made me pay full price. I had contacted him about it, he said he would send me a new one and that I could keep Gus too!

There could have been a soft tissue injury to his tail at some point. If it's not showing any discoloration and there is muscle tone it may be temporary. No way to predict. If you do see that vet ask if they could do an x-ray of his tail just to see if there are any skeletal deformities. If you handle his tail in that area can he curl it at all?

There could have been a soft tissue injury to his tail at some point. If it's not showing any discoloration and there is muscle tone it may be temporary. No way to predict. If you do see that vet ask if they could do an x-ray of his tail just to see if there are any skeletal deformities. If you handle his tail in that area can he curl it at all?
If I curl it for him, yes it’ll curl! Doesn’t seem to be discolored at all, I’m hoping it’s temporary. Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom