Tail dying?!

Bristoladrianna

Woke up this morning to feed my panther and discovered to my shock and horror the end of his tail is dried and appears to be actively dying, which must have developed within the last 24-48 hours. Has anyone seen anything like this? I have a vet appointment already made for this evening. He went through a round of antibiotics the past two weeks, due to his front hand being weak and a slight different color than normal. Now I'm worried hes had a reaction to the antibiotics, and this all could be an indication of something much worse or fatal.

Attachments

• 20190319_071410.jpg
    20190319_071410.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 272
  • 20190319_073030.jpg
    20190319_073030.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 294
The dead part should drop off on its own. Good job making the appt for the vet.

How long ago was his last shed? Could've been a piece of shed around that part of the tail that dried and constricted blood flow. Could also be some sort of trauma maybe if he got his tail pinched or stuck in something.

In my opinion, it looks like there is some sort of injury but its hard to tell from a photo. Keep note of the bruising and make sure it is not spreading up the tail any more.

Woke up this morning to feed my panther and discovered to my shock and horror the end of his tail is dried and appears to be actively dying, which must have developed within the last 24-48 hours. Has anyone seen anything like this? I have a vet appointment already made for this evening. He went through a round of antibiotics the past two weeks, due to his front hand being weak and a slight different color than normal. Now I'm worried hes had a reaction to the antibiotics, and this all could be an indication of something much worse or fatal.
Any update on this one? What did the vet say?

Is it possible he burned it? Have you increased his heat lately or has he been hanging out on the ceiling of his cage?
I agree that poor tail its been burn in that evil ceiling light fixture which probably its an accident when the cham hanging upside down on top of the cage.
Take the cham to the vet asap for that poor baby sake.
Drop the branches down asap so he can't reach the fixture and get burn again.
201720-f745282f82c4733f5147e3cd77e760a4.jpg

Last edited:
Poor thing.. .when the shed doesnt come off how long until it starts restricting.. a day or two? Or longer?

It only becomes an issue when you start to see swelling below the constriction or an indent at the stricture. Some sheds will cause no problem and come off all on their own. If you do have to remove it be very gentle if it isn't ready to come off it can be painful and damage the scales underneath. I use a damp cotton swab.

Back
Top Bottom