Tail discoloration: normal/weird shed/injury/infection?

Hahaha that’s the one that I have!!! I’ve had two. I was happy with the first one until it died after 7 months and the second one was purchased by a different seller but it’s identical and died the same way in two days 😳
Oh, sorry! If you use the search bar on here to look up foggers, there tons of recommended ones! Here's one I've used before and like: Reptile Humidifier / Fogger – with Large Water Tank - Adjustable Fog Output - for Most Terrariums and Enclosures - for Reptiles, Amphibians, Herps https://a.co/d/foSoTzs

Oh, sorry! If you use the search bar on here to look up foggers, there tons of recommended ones! Here's one I've used before and like: Reptile Humidifier / Fogger – with Large Water Tank - Adjustable Fog Output - for Most Terrariums and Enclosures - for Reptiles, Amphibians, Herps https://a.co/d/foSoTzs
Thank again! I’m honestly not super familiar with the layout of this site but I’m sure I can figure out the search! I should have thought of that!
Thanks again!!!

Thank again! I’m honestly not super familiar with the layout of this site but I’m sure I can figure out the search! I should have thought of that!
Thanks again!!!
No problem at all, let us know if you need more assistance or info or have questions, etc, we're here to help!

Hahaha that’s the one that I have!!! I’ve had two. I was happy with the first one until it died after 7 months and the second one was purchased by a different seller but it’s identical and died the same way in two days 😳
what do you mean it just spills the water? How do you have your hose lines set up?

what do you mean it just spills the water? How do you have your hose lines set up?
I have no idea how it happens but it’s not user error. The lines were set up correctly and everything was running normally for seven months and then suddenly I kept finding large pools of water under it for a week or two and figured out it wasn’t even fogging at this point. Apparently it happens with this fogger, check the reviews. Wish I had! I apparently have bad luck with two malfunctioning and the second one so quickly 😓

I have no idea how it happens but it’s not user error. The lines were set up correctly and everything was running normally for seven months and then suddenly I kept finding large pools of water under it for a week or two and figured out it wasn’t even fogging at this point. Apparently it happens with this fogger, check the reviews. Wish I had! I apparently have bad luck with two malfunctioning and the second one so quickly 😓
The reason why I am asking is if your lines for the hose do not go straight up and over like an upside down U at the top then the actual hose can back up and this can cause leaking and pools of water.

The reason why I am asking is if your lines for the hose do not go straight up and over like an upside down U at the top then the actual hose can back up and this can cause leaking and pools of water.
Nope, we didn’t have that issue. We used the splitter but they both went Straight up and over :) but thanks for checking!

Also, I got the new fogger and it broke last night after only two uses! Same thing, it just spilled all the water and no longer fogs. I’m so frustrated, I’m obviously not getting the same one again. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Looked at the image and not same fogger as mine but go look at the resivour o ring gasket if accessable. It usually pops out a little causing it to leak. Returned 3 of them before i found out they were never broke! I did end up getting 2 resivour tanks i can switch out with!

Looked at the image and not same fogger as mine but go look at the resivour o ring gasket if accessable. It usually pops out a little causing it to leak. Returned 3 of them before i found out they were never broke! I did end up getting 2 resivour tanks i can switch out with!
Thank you! I’ll try that :)

Your husbandry looks great! I just have a few notes no one else has gone through (beautiful cham, btw!):
-What is the distance between your UVB bulb and the basking branch?
-For daytime humidity, try to keep it at or above 55%. I know it's a minor adjustment, but misting for just a little longer should take care of it!
-If possible, raising his cage will make him feel safer and more secure in his cage
-Are your windows energy efficient? Older windows can cause drafts and cool the surrounding area in the winter and heat the surrounding area in the summer
-Is your new fogger cool mist or warm mist? Also, does it have crinkly tubing? If it does, you'll need to replace it with smooth tubing, like PVC pipe or aquarium vinyl tubing.
Hi I am going to be getting a chameleon and was wondering why a smooth tube vs the tubes some fogers come with?

THANK YOU! 🙏

I’m glad there’s no harm done! And I def know his tail was not a burn. The one thing I was sure of lol it’s my top fear as a cham mom bc it seems to happen so often. Their basking light has always been on a clamp set above the top mesh and I’m super diligent about temps. I go check often bc I’m paranoid that one of the kids (I have 5) might accidentally change the settings or move the lamp. One time my toddler opened the bottom and left it unlocked and We left to run errands for like two hours and Cosmo got out from the bottom and ended up on the fake tree house dollhouse set up on a shelf near a window. He likes to escape and go to the top of his door (or climb on anyone near) and I’m always afraid he will climb on top and touch the heat lamp. I’m so thankful he didn’t when he got out. I put a lock on them after that.
I was so scared and panicked but once I found him, it became a bit hilarious. He was just lording over his domain up on that fake tree he sought up high. The regal Lord Cosmo Dumbledore 👑🦎

Still happy to learn a good lesson and have him be unharmed. Here’s a pic I snapped to show my hubs when I found him- bc I was frantically calling and crying that he was out and missing of course.
Omgsh this is too cute! I would have been frantic as well. He is a beautiful boy BTW! I'm really glad you made this thread I am learning a lot from it, it's crazy how they shed in spots when they get older I know I would have been asking questions as well even though that's what it looks like you wouldn't think that's how they would shed. I have had other reptiles and none of them shed that way. So thank you I appreciate it.

Partial sheds can take days... It does look like a shed coming on though. When they are adults it is not a quick explosion like when they are babies. See pics below. See how the skin looks ashy... He is about to shed those two areas in the coming week.

He looks great though. Healthy weight, Strong and muscular.

With him maturing you would drop back to roughly 5 feeders every other day.

I would keep basking between 80-85 max. Lower temps are supposed to mean longer lives.

Everything else in husbandry looks spot on. :)
View attachment 327172View attachment 327173
I just wanted to say that your chameleon is beautiful! I didn't realize how pretty vailed's could be until joining this forum. I am really enjoying being here and learning so much.

Also, I got the new fogger and it broke last night after only two uses! Same thing, it just spilled all the water and no longer fogs. I’m so frustrated, I’m obviously not getting the same one again. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Try looking up house of hydro you can make your own pretty easy and pretty inexpensively. Then you would only need one for both chams. Here is a video you can watch on you tube to see how easy it is this is what I'm going to do. But of course we won't need the big one he makes in the demonstration.

Hi I am going to be getting a chameleon and was wondering why a smooth tube vs the tubes some fogers come with?
Hey there. The member you asked has not been active in the forum in a bit. The reason for smooth pvc tubes is the water can't get caught up and stagnant growing crud in them like they can with the collapsible tubes that come in reptile foggers. Those hold water in all the bends of the tubes rather than drying out completely during the day.

Hey there. The member you asked has not been active in the forum in a bit. The reason for smooth pvc tubes is the water can't get caught up and stagnant growing crud in them like they can with the collapsible tubes that come in reptile foggers. Those hold water in all the bends of the tubes rather than drying out completely during the day.
Ok thank you good to know I have some of those tubes I was going to use when I build my fogger I definitely won't do that then.

Ok thank you good to know I have some of those tubes I was going to use when I build my fogger I definitely won't do that then.
Take your fogger hook up pieces to home depot with you then go to the pvc isle and pick fittings to perfectly fit to it. Fit all the pieces together but do not seal them permanently because you do want to be able to take those apart to give them a good cleaning. I did shorter pipe lengths of 12 inches with fittings hooking them together so it was easier for me to clean all the pieces in the sink.

Take your fogger hook up pieces to home depot with you then go to the pvc isle and pick fittings to perfectly fit to it. Fit all the pieces together but do not seal them permanently because you do want to be able to take those apart to give them a good cleaning. I did shorter pipe lengths of 12 inches with fittings hooking them together so it was easier for me to clean all the pieces in the sink.
Ok awesome thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom