Taco and Caroline Update (New Enclosure)

scchameleon

So I recently created a new habitat for both of my Meller's to live communally in.

Caroline is up to 18" horn to tail and weights around 145 grams at 1 year. She is going to be a monster! CB from @jpowell86 clutch.

Caroline 1 YR.JPG

Taco is right at 24" and weights roughly 350-400 grams. Hard to know weight for sure because he hates to be weighted and it is not worth the stress to get it. He is WC from Hamburg, PA Reptile Show. Been in captive care since Spring of 2015.

Taco 3.5 YR.JPG

Here is a picture of their new 12 foot long by 3 feet high by 3 feet wide enclosure. I basically made it into 2 areas in case they didn't want to be around each other.

New Enclosure.JPG

Thanks for looking. Love to answer any questions you have.

Attachments

• Caroline 1 YR.JPG
    Caroline 1 YR.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 104
Forgive me for this question, but I know nothing about Meller's. Female mellers have horns and males don't? Chams are so darn interesting!

@Scottsquatch no that has nothing to do with the sex. Melleri are one of the species that you cannot determine sex by outward appearance. Taco is 100% male. Best way to establish sex besides a vet visit with x-ray is to try and catch them pooping. Boys will expose their male parts as they are pooping. This is how I have established that Taco is a male.

Caroline I am about 90 percent sure she is a she. @jpowell86 sold her to me as a female after seeing her interaction with her 40 other brothers and sisters. He has a wealth of knowledge on the species. In the past year she has been acting like a female even as she has interacted with Taco here recently as they were introduced to each other. Time will tell...

Ok, I have to ask. If you think you have a male and a female, they are brother and sister, are you not concerned that they may breed? That would not be cool.

Do all male chams expose their hemipenes when they defecate or just this species? Also, do chams have two hemipenes or just one? I used to breed snakes a bit and always thought it was cool and weird that they have two.

Glad to hear Caroline is doing so well. Mel is about the same size as her and I have a sneaking suspicion I may have a female too.
I've heard the Hamburg show is a good one to check out, big and a nice selection of animals. Repticon is coming up in Baltimore soon too.

Looking back at the original post, I never did say how good looming they are. That Taco is especially handsome. I love those colors. Is he fired up or are those his regular colors?

Wow, I've never seen Mellers' at Hamburg! Maybe it's because I can never wake up early enough TnT"
They both are gorgeous, good to hear they're doing well!

Absolutely beautiful two you have Caroline looks great, it's always amazing to see all the updates on Joel's little ones.

Was Caroline Captive bred, or captive hatched? I did not realize Joel had bred and raised mellers in captivity yet?

Caroline came from the same clutch as Mel, they are CH. Mother came in gravid, did very poorly upon import, laid her eggs and then died sadly.

Back
Top Bottom