t5 fixture

caroline?

Avid Member
Hi I'm ordering Arcadia pro t5 uvb kit right now and i was wondering if i could get a 48 inch so it covers both of my enclosures or if i should just get two 24 inch fixture, the reason im asking this is because they have different wattage.

Attachments

• 578C58CF-CD14-490E-9EE5-F532FB7ADA74.png
    578C58CF-CD14-490E-9EE5-F532FB7ADA74.png
    158.1 KB · Views: 78
Hi I'm ordering Arcadia pro t5 uvb kit right now and i was wondering if i could get a 48 inch so it covers both of my enclosures or if i should just get two 24 inch fixture, the reason im asking this is because they have different wattage.
Might as well run one long fixture this only becomes a problem if your going to ever have to separate the cages... I run a 48 across two. Makes it easier in the long run because I am not replacing multiple bulbs.

I agree it depends on whether you'll ever separate the two cages. Being adjacent, I'm assuming you'll have some kind of opaque barrier so they can't see each other (though different sexes somehow know the other is there anyway).

Don't worry about wattage. They're all very low anyway, and it makes sense that the longer the bulb—the more watts it takes to light it up. The difference is maybe pennies per year in most places.

I agree it depends on whether you'll ever separate the two cages. Being adjacent, I'm assuming you'll have some kind of opaque barrier so they can't see each other (though different sexes somehow know the other is there anyway).

Don't worry about wattage. They're all very low anyway, and it makes sense that the longer the bulb—the more watts it takes to light it up. The difference is maybe pennies per year in most places.
Don't know how much Arcadia replacement bulbs retail in America with import duty but 2x 24inch uvb is double the price of 1x48 inch uvb of same 6% or 12%b here in uk. The initial outlay is less too🤑
you can piggy back two 24" to have one power supply but the leads aren't overly long plus keeping the cages in close proximity in same perimeters makes sense especially if the chameleons needs is far different from ambient environment

@Klyde O'Scope I have a baby male next to my adult jackson should i separate them? I don't want either of them being too stressed i have a poster board in between their cages so they cant see each other but should I move their cages apart?

I use the 24w unit but if i had 2 cages side by side i would get one unit provided they both needed the same uvb requirements. Im not experienced in Jacksons but from what i know i think higher humidity is required with a lower night time drop but uv required the same is it not?
I suppose there is a potential you may need to isolate one from another should you get one infected with a parasite god forbid. But if you prepping for this then you need two of everything that could cross contaminate

It is fine, but be aware that there is going to be lower UVI at the ends of the bulb. So account for this.
It will save alot of money. It makes no sense really, but the 46 inch bulbs are cheaper and easier to find.
The Pro T5 kit is great as you get to choose the bulb you want.

@Klyde O'Scope I have a baby male next to my adult jackson should i separate them? I don't want either of them being too stressed i have a poster board in between their cages so they cant see each other but should I move their cages apart?
That should be OK. Lots of folks do keep them adjacent as long as they can't see each other.

Sorry i thought Carolina was the op i have no experience with these uvb light units only Arcadia pro forgive me🤭
Close! :LOL: The confusion is understandable. Arcadia Pro is on that list too. I have an "Arcadia Pro" and a "Sunblaster Nonotech" and aside from a glued on label, there is no distinguishable or functional difference. They're the exact same unit.

AFAIK, all those brands were potentially affected by the reflector issue; one of mine was—the other wasn't—and to my eyes they were indistinguishable. Another instance where having a Solarmeter 6.5x came in handy. ;)

Okay haha caroline? Op questions regarding Arcadia pro unit and Carolina light units 🤔 the bulb i think is the most important part of uvb delivery and if the ballast is digital rather than magnetic like the old t8 units. The magnetic ballasts cause high frequency flickering

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I thought all the T5HOs had digital/electronic ballasts as part of the improved technology over T8. :unsure:

No Idea even t8 are upgrading to non magnetic but old ones still exist they have a tell tale huge heavy bit on them anyways still see them for sale in fish pet shops

Getting my first UVB over a year ago was a nightmare. It took a half dozen tries to get it right. I got:
Wrong length
Wrong width
Wrong strength
Broken bulbs
Defective (non-functioning) bulb

When somebody finally got it right, I ordered 2 more (and tested them when they arrived) to avoid another debacle this year.

When I had to order a different setup this year (different length & strength), I ordered from Pangea, and they got everything right first time. :)

I should have typed...
Getting my first UVB over a year ago was a nightmare. It took a half dozen tries to get it right. I got sent:
Wrong length
Wrong width
Wrong strength
Broken bulbs
Defective (non-functioning) bulb
The worst offenders were Amazon & Petsmart. I plead naïveté; everyone (on another forum) said, "Petsmart is OK to get supplies from; just don't buy animals there." which I pretty much knew anyway from years of wandering through their pets & sighing... We used to get Pukanuba there, but lately ordering thru Chewy, which TMK, doesn't sell animals.

Back
Top Bottom