T5 distance from a Veiled Chameleons body?

ZEROPILOT

Avid Member
I have not ordered a 6.5 U.V. meter yet. But it's on my short list...
So this will be a theoretical then.
I'm swapping out the T8 fixtures on my 3 Exo Terra xxl 4' tall screen cages. The new T5 fixtures will have 5.0 HO tubes and they'll be broadcasting through the top screen of the cages. So some U.V. will be blocked.
How close to my new T5 lights can my veileds dwell on a branch?
Is getting too close dangerous? I know that they are twice as powerful as the T8s and my Chameleons perched about 5" away most of the day.
8"? A foot?
Again, for now, this is theoretical.
Thanks.

I have not ordered a 6.5 U.V. meter yet. But it's on my short list...
So this will be a theoretical then.
I'm swapping out the T8 fixtures on my 3 Exo Terra xxl 4' tall screen cages. The new T5 fixtures will have 5.0 HO tubes and they'll be broadcasting through the top screen of the cages. So some U.V. will be blocked.
How close to my new T5 lights can my veileds dwell on a branch?
Is getting too close dangerous? I know that they are twice as powerful as the T8s and my Chameleons perched about 5" away most of the day.
8"? A foot?
Again, for now, this is theoretical.
Thanks.
Don't forget to "calculate" the cham itself when running your theorized maths. I'd shoot for the branch to be about 8" from the light source minimum until you get the solarmeter. Better off slightly under than over!

This was recently posted by Bill Strand in a facebook group ... You will see the vast difference of UVI level based on fixture type being used. Single bulb fixtures produce much higher levels closer vs quads. Your zoo med bulbs 5.0 is going to be equivalent to a 6% arcadia and a 10.0 is going to be equivalent to a 12% arcadia.

So if you are running single fixtures you need to look at the first column. Basking really should be no closer then 9-11 inches. For UVI on Veileds and panthers you want a level of 3ish... Keeping in mind that your uvb directly works with your supplements so if you use alot of D3 like an all in one supplement it is not needed with a UVI level of 3. So a supplement change would be needed.

I highly recommend a solarmeter 6.5 this way you know what exactly your cham is being exposed to. Over exposure is just as bad as under exposure.

UVI levels.jpg

This was recently posted by Bill Strand in a facebook group ... You will see the vast difference of UVI level based on fixture type being used. Single bulb fixtures produce much higher levels closer vs quads. Your zoo med bulbs 5.0 is going to be equivalent to a 6% arcadia and a 10.0 is going to be equivalent to a 12% arcadia.

So if you are running single fixtures you need to look at the first column. Basking really should be no closer then 9-11 inches. For UVI on Veileds and panthers you want a level of 3ish... Keeping in mind that your uvb directly works with your supplements so if you use alot of D3 like an all in one supplement it is not needed with a UVI level of 3. So a supplement change would be needed.

I highly recommend a solarmeter 6.5 this way you know what exactly your cham is being exposed to. Over exposure is just as bad as under exposure.

View attachment 255451
There is actually a revision of the data with added explanation, context, and use case!
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/

@ZEROPILOT
At the link above there is a use case for how high the bulb should be placed above the cage depending on bulb type and fixture. You can do a rough equivalency of 5.0 = 6% and 10.0 = 12%. Now, there are so many variables in the readings so it is definitely best to redo the set-up once you get the 6.5 in. But this tutorial is a good baseline. I believe you are correct to consider the upper limit that you would like your chameleon to be exposed to. Just placing a T5 on top the cage will expose any chameleon walking on the screen to very high UVI. It is only logical that there can be too much UVB. Very few people actually consider that. You'll find in my use case I use UVI 6 as my maximum UVI at the cage top and I set the suspension heights based on that.

Bill

There is actually a revision of the data with added explanation, context, and use case!

@ZEROPILOT
At the link above there is a use case for how high the bulb should be placed above the cage depending on bulb type and fixture. You can do a rough equivalency of 5.0 = 6% and 10.0 = 12%. Now, there are so many variables in the readings so it is definitely best to redo the set-up once you get the 6.5 in. But this tutorial is a good baseline. I believe you are correct to consider the upper limit that you would like your chameleon to be exposed to. Just placing a T5 on top the cage will expose any chameleon walking on the screen to very high UVI. It is only logical that there can be too much UVB. Very few people actually consider that. You'll find in my use case I use UVI 6 as my maximum UVI at the cage top and I set the suspension heights based on that.

Bill
Thank you Bill I had no idea you had that page up! So much easier to be able to give that link. Love the new website. So happy to see you here sharing as well. :)

Thank you Bill I had no idea you had that page up! So much easier to be able to give that link. Love the new website. So happy to see you here sharing as well. :)
This is VERY new and I just launched the site. I am hoping it gives people who want to dig in a place to start and work through chameleon husbandry step-by-step! It is also a selfish venture. The more I learned while interviewing and researching for the podcast episodes the more I needed a much easier to search receptacle for all the information (podcasts are wonderful, but not search convenient!). So this is the foundation where I can now pour everything into for the community to enjoy.

This is VERY new and I just launched the site. I am hoping it gives people who want to dig in a place to start and work through chameleon husbandry step-by-step! It is also a selfish venture. The more I learned while interviewing and researching for the podcast episodes the more I needed a much easier to search receptacle for all the information (podcasts are wonderful, but not search convenient!). So this is the foundation where I can now pour everything into for the community to enjoy.
Well I love what you are doing with it. Happy to have a website I can share here with all the newbies that will give them clear answers. I am also drooling over the new breeder series of the Medium Tall Atrium's! I have my clearside version but wow now I want the new one. Why do you do this to me lol. Thank you for all you do for the community!

I'm going to be poring over this later. Thank you for everything you do for the cham community!

View attachment 255451

Hmmm. I have single reflectors, but my readings of my doubles match that charts singles. I find it hard to believe that a double with a 6% is putting out below 1 At 12".

42" LYR double with 6500k hood+ reflector no screen with T5 ho 6% and 6500k 6 months old: 1.8 UVI @ 12" .7 UVI @ 24"

42" LYR double with 6500k hood+ refector no screen with T5 ho 12% and 6500k 1 month old: 3.5 UVI at 12" 2.8 UVI @ 15" (beardy rock level)

Hmmm. I have single reflectors, but my readings of my doubles match that charts singles. I find it hard to believe that a double with a 6% is putting out below 1 At 12".

42" LYR double with 6500k hood+ reflector no screen with T5 ho 6% and 6500k 6 months old: 1.8 UVI @ 12" .7 UVI @ 24"

42" LYR double with 6500k hood+ refector no screen with T5 ho 12% and 6500k 1 month old: 3.5 UVI at 12" 2.8 UVI @ 15" (beardy rock level)
There will be great variation in levels depending on how old the bulbs is and even how long it has been running. I welcome any input anyone can give me as to their set ups, fixtures and levels, bulbs and ages. I will be compiling these over time and adjusting the charts to show averages.

There will be great variation in levels depending on how old the bulbs is and even how long it has been running. I welcome any input anyone can give me as to their set ups, fixtures and levels, bulbs and ages. I will be compiling these over time and adjusting the charts to show averages.

Well the only data i could add is im using the light your reptiles branded hood, which is a mono reflector, so that should mean 20% output reduction, aka 2 bulbs are putting out 160% of the light of a single bulb. With the mono quads, the 2 centers have a 60% reduction, and the 2 outers have a 40% reduction.

@ZEROPILOT

Bill
That's a fantastic bunch of information!

@ZEROPILOT

Bill

Great site Bill, thanks for posting the link

Back
Top Bottom