T5 6% or 12%

Rorshach

Hi all

I recently made another order to one of my regular online suppliers and like the previous time I ordered a couple weeks back they got my order wrong,

I had ordered the t5 6% as the light is mounted inside his wooden viv but they have sent a t5 12% and told me it will be fine for him I was reluctant to accept this answer as my general understanding is 5/6% when inside the tank.

They have said they will swap it for me and not have to pay postage etc for it replaced but it is a lot more hassle if I don't need to.

So will the 12% and reflector be too much or will it be ok?

How old is your cham? For a baby I would prefer the 6%, but for an adult that has considerable foliage to hide in if needed the 12% should be fine. Quite a few members use them. I use the 6% now for my veiled, but am considering the 12% next time I replace the bulb.

I would sat It would prob be alrite as long as there is plenty of cover, places to get out of it if he pleases. Ive always used the suggested 5%, but I also take mine out from time to time, and people down south keep there's out most of the year. the suns uvb is much higher than 12%.

12% is fine as long as its a 4ft cage. a 1 meter cage with not a lot of foliage will not give the cham enough gradient to adjust his uv needs. a 4ft cage with a 12% will have a dead zone in the last 18". a 3ft cage wont have any dead zone, and will be considered full sun (no shade) the first foot away from the bulb.

Hi,

Yes it's a 4x2x2 and its fine inside as long as provide a canopy like foliage so he can get away from it if he needs to?

And would that be with or without the reflector?

with reflector inside the cage. without you will only get 2ft into the cage.

again with a 12% the first foot will be full sun, the next 18"-2ft will be the cham zone, and the last 12-18" will be a dead zone. In contrast with my 6% and reflector-on top of screen (30% reduction with t5's), i was at "time to change the tube" levels about 2ft into the cage.

If the cham is over 6 months it can regulate without foliage on its own in that setup. I would recommend a hanging potho or something at the very top of the inside cage and draped down. This will give more variety for cool/hot zones and uv zones.

After 60 days it wont mater since they tubes drop 10% by then, and they slowly loose another 15% in another year.

Some people can get 18-24 months out of a 12% if they have a meter and adjust the cage accordingly. aka first year out side the cage several inches.

I use the 12% as this is what the man who makes the bulbs told me to use. As said no bulb comes close to the sun yet. If the cage is set up correctly with a good amount of foliage the chameleon will do as in the wild and move around the cage to get the uv it wants.

The T5 bulbs are excellent and shows just how rubbish the T8 ones are in comparison.

I use the 12% as this is what the man who makes the bulbs told me to use. As said no bulb comes close to the sun yet. If the cage is set up correctly with a good amount of foliage the chameleon will do as in the wild and move around the cage to get the uv it wants.

The T5 bulbs are excellent and shows just how rubbish the T8 ones are in comparison.

No cases of MBD in the early 90's rocking T10 vitalights :)

Why use a 12% when time has shown 6% to be plenty? I am always afraid of overkill when it comes to anything I provide my chams (supplements, food, even water). These bulbs provide very steady, even distribution of UVB.

I have found that my 6% T5HO bulb radiates a reading of 40-60 3-6" under the bulb, which is slightly higher than shade (at least here in Ohio in June). I have read that most chameleons rarely directly bask in the sun in the wild, and spend most of their time under the canopy. JannB, can correct me if I am wrong, but that was her observation on her Madagascar trip.

Probably, at the end of the day, if you provide your chameleon both a good UVB and temperature gradient (and a basking option with and without UVB), the cham will self regulate the amount of heat and UVB they take in.

Why use a 12% when time has shown 6% to be plenty? I am always afraid of overkill when it comes to anything I provide my chams (supplements, food, even water). These bulbs provide very steady, even distribution of UVB.

I have found that my 6% T5HO bulb radiates a reading of 40-60 3-6" under the bulb, which is slightly higher than shade (at least here in Ohio in June). I have read that most chameleons rarely directly bask in the sun in the wild, and spend most of their time under the canopy. JannB, can correct me if I am wrong, but that was her observation on her Madagascar trip.

Probably, at the end of the day, if you provide your chameleon both a good UVB and temperature gradient (and a basking option with and without UVB), the cham will self regulate the amount of heat and UVB they take in.

The cham min is 15-20, and some even change at 30. If your 6% is only at 60 3" away from the bulb then its well below 20u a foot away.

The cham min is 15-20, and some even change at 30. If your 6% is only at 60 3" away from the bulb then its well below 20u a foot away.

I always design my cages with a horizontial perch parallel underneath the UVB bulb. What I am saying is that when on this branch, they receive an amount of UVB in between direct and indirect sun. No UVB rays will get much past the basking perches as I keep my cages heavily planted.

If the visible light output is correct nothing can really cause problems. They can't overdose on D3 via a bulb it is just if the keeper uses lots of supplements.

I understand everyone does things differently and if you feel more cofortable using a 6% and it works for you go for it but there really is not an issue using a 12% if it is not anywhere near the suns output.

If the age is set up correctly then it will be just as in the wild where they can move as they want. The new recommendation is covering three quarters if the cage with a tube and leaving the rest in shade but this still happens vertically in our cages.

I certainly wouldn't use a 12% on a jacksons though or montanes, just panthers and veileds.

Back
Top Bottom