T5 10.0 bulb

lsd61377

I'm getting a new uvb for my veiled chameleon and am wondering if the t5 10.0 is good? I was told a 5.o but couldn't find one. Thanks

I'm getting a new uvb for my veiled chameleon and am wondering if the t5 10.0 is good? I was told a 5.o but couldn't find one. Thanks
They both work you just need to raise the 10.0 higher then the 5.0 a solameter can help you in getting the exact uvi measurements so you don’t have to guess the distance as much if you have it too close then you run the risk of uv burns

The 5.o though, I could lay right on top of his enclosure?
Well 5.0 has to be 6 inches away from the basking area to get the proper uvi the basking branch tho not the enclosure and the 10.0 is 12 inches from the basking branch

You will probably need to order the reptisun 5.0 from Amazon or Pangea or one of those places. Just a FYI, the Arcadia 6% you only have to change once a year, the reptisun 5.0 you have to change every 6 months if you don’t have a solar meter to check the strength.

This may help. So a 5.0 or 6% would need to be about 8-9” above basking area. A 10.0 or 12% would need more distance of about 12-14”. This is better achieved thru elevating the uvb above the enclosure top rather than ‘stealing’ space from your cham’s enclosure.
D9273568-24A9-4A78-A879-0F5B3D3DAA19.jpeg

This may help. So a 5.0 or 6% would need to be about 8-9” above basking area. A 10.0 or 12% would need more distance of about 12-14”. This is better achieved thru elevating the uvb above the enclosure top rather than ‘stealing’ space from your cham’s enclosure.
View attachment 313764
I have a T5 fixture bulb and fixture coming. His upper most basking branch is about 6 in from the top of the enclosure. So I will need to raise the T5 fixture about 2-3 inches, correct?

I have a T5 fixture bulb and fixture coming. His upper most basking branch is about 6 in from the top of the enclosure. So I will need to raise the T5 fixture about 2-3 inches, correct?
Correct with a 5.0 or a 6% you want 8-9 inches to the basking branch... So you would measure screen to branch and then raise the distance needed.

Or lower the basking branch a few inches.

A UVI meter (either Solarmeter 6.5x or DIY version) is the best way to both get the distance right for your bulb & enclosure, and for knowing when to replace the UVB bulb. Both brands of T5 UVB are rated and warrantied for 1 year, but IME they can last 50-100% longer. In the long run, A meter can pay for itself (faster the more reptiles/bulbs you may have).

Dr Baines added a nice graphic yesterday showing Arcadia and zoomed UVI through different screen types
I don't :unsure:want to assume, so what did she add it to, and where?
Thanks for posting it; I'll need to digest it a bit.... 🤓

This new chart looks very suspect. Like they didnt take real measurements. It "looks" like all they did was estimate blockages of various screens(which to their credit they may have a few points of measurement not using the original equipment) , and popped the screenless measurements through a percentage filter (mesh percentage block estimates courtesy of members of reptile lighting facebook group). Im sorry but there is no way a mesh is going to block uniformly at every distance. Its not a neutral density filter like on a camera.

This new chart looks very suspect. Like they didnt take real measurements. It "looks" like all they did was estimate blockages of various screens(which to their credit they may have a few points of measurement not using the original equipment) , and popped the screenless measurements through a percentage filter (mesh percentage block estimates courtesy of members of reptile lighting facebook group). Im sorry but there is no way a mesh is going to block uniformly at every distance. Its not a neutral density filter like on a camera.

Consistently advice is given on this site about a distance from the fixture, but screen or cage type isn’t even asked or considered. At least this addressed that in some way. And it also uses data taken by Dr Baines and another, I suspect whatever data she collected is VERY reliable.

Consistently advice is given on this site about a distance from the fixture, but screen or cage type isn’t even asked or considered. At least this addressed that in some way. And it also uses data taken by Dr Baines and another, I suspect whatever data she collected is VERY reliable.

Im not denying the original measurements are spot on.

Im talking about the derivative numbers that were not measured. These were estimates based on screen area blocked. But there is a huge variance between a 50% blocking screen wrapped around a bulb vs setting flat on bulb vs flat 1 foot away from the bulb etc. And it affects measurements really close vs really far, differently.

I have personally seen "50% blocking" large mesh result in only 10% UVI reduction directly under the bulb at 24" with arcadia 6% vs no mesh. I didnt measure a 50% reduction till 45 degrees off center.

Last edited:
Im talking about the derivative numbers that were not measured. These were estimates based on screen area blocked. But there is a huge variance between a 50% blocking screen wrapped around a bulb vs setting flat on bulb vs flat 1 foot away from the bulb etc. And it affects measurements really close vs really far, differently.
I think this would be simple enough to test, and I'd be slightly surprised if Dr. Baines or one of her minions hasn't done this already.

1635865654060.png
For example: In this (oversimplified) setup, the UVB and UVI meter are stationary, with the bulb 24" above the meter sensor. UVI is measured for various meshes & materials of screen at 2" intervals between ¼" (0") and 18" from the bulb.

The ¼" represents the measured distance vertically between the T5 bulb and the edge(s) of the reflector. IOW, if/when the UVB is placed directly on the screen (which I don't recommend).

I'll skip wrapping the mesh around the bulb—I haven't seen a lot of that. 🤨

IF Dr. Baines et al have done this, and the ΔUVI were statistically insignificant between the distances, I could see why some liberties may have been taken, BICBW.

Back
Top Bottom