T. j. jacksonii 'Machakos'

Ekona

Established Member
Got a very nice pair of this beautiful species from Chameleons International. First time purchase, very pleased with Steve's service and chams.

Male newly settled in and a little uneasy with it's new surroundings

GZtxk5.jpg

Settled in after a few weeks - getting it's more brilliant colors

vrWYQM.jpg

79p9Z5.jpg

Female - she can be almost black, dark green or very much looking like a lichen-covered branch.

khGHvf.jpg

LeQGmR.jpg

gWBmKs.jpg

NINAqA.jpg

Very nice, you should share some pics of the enclosure, looks like a nice set up.

Thanks. I just got finished taking some for a friend of mine. Here is the male's new enclosure. It's and Exo Terra 36x18x36 screen with added walls on three sides to help retain humidity and provide climbing surfaces. It's a lot of space for just one cham, but it utilizes every bit of the space and is very active in exploring all possible combinations of branch connections, the fern layer, the walls and top screen. The pieces of bark don't look very natural, but they are perfect for the cham to climb on. It can go rather quickly along the walls both horizontally and vertically because of the spacing of the bark. It is a bioactive substrate with a DYI substrate tray 6" deep. Live plants except a for the yellow flowers and a couple of thin green twigs. My goal was to recreate the big outdoor enclosure these were farmed in in Kenya. There are photos of it in Jan Stipala's book "Mountian Dragons". Lighting consists of two 40w basking lamps and a 30" Zoo Med LED/UVB light fixture. The LED lights get good penetration down to the ferns etc. I will try out the Aracadia fixtures next time.

The female is in a Zoo Med 16x16x30, with a similar setup to the male's, with three walls and live plants and similar lighting.

X3oNdR.jpg

SmSu26.jpg

I like that you identified them as Machakos. I don't care for people calling them willegensis. It's misleading and naming them after a smuggler/poacher is worse.
It is far beter that they are know for their region.
Beautiful cage. Nice work. I like the way you used the bark. I may steal your idea in the future.
What did you use to make the interior walls?

Looks great! Thanks for posting. Making me want to get some of these in the future hah. Don't they only come around once a year?

Thanks for your comments. Yes, they do come in, if I recall, once or twice a year. It's possible the female I have is gravid. If so, I'll do my best to raise up any offspring. May need help with good methods to achieve success, if she has young. Steve does get definitely gravid females in, so some of the work is already done if that option appeals to you.

I'd definitely be interested in keeping a male some day as long as I can make room. Let me know if you end up raising some babies!

For the back wall, egg crate light diffuser covered in foam and silicone works great IME.

Back
Top Bottom