T. hoehnelii: I am an expert!

bobcochran

Chameleon Enthusiast
I got my first chameleons in 1992. I've been keeping and breeding hoehnelii for more than 5 years. I had a clutch of 10 about 8 months ago. I divided them into small groups of 2 or 3 keeping males with males and females with females when they were between 3 and 4 months of age. The males color up earlier than the females. I was keeping my eye on a couple of males that looked very promising. The pictured Cham below being one of them. One of the nicest males is now gravid!! How can this happen? Yeah, I'm an expert DUMB ASS!!
IMG_3740.jpg
IMG_3763.jpg

I got my first chameleons in 1992. I've been keeping and breeding hoehnelii for more than 5 years. I had a clutch of 10 about 8 months ago. I divided them into small groups of 2 or 3 keeping males with males and females with females when they were between 3 and 4 months of age. The males color up earlier than the females. I was keeping my eye on a couple of males that looked very promising. The pictured Cham below being one of them. One of the nicest males is now gravid!! How can this happen? Yeah, I'm an expert DUMB ASS!!View attachment 292467View attachment 292466
Well he is a beautiful soon-to-be mama! 😂

You said..."Yeah, I'm an expert DUMB ASS!!"...I love you anyway! :)
Welcome to the club. When I first started keeping veileds, for the first batch I hatched, I thought all the brand new hatchlings that patterned up when stressed were the males....turned out they were the females. Didn't even know that males had tarsal spurs (to be begin with) ...nobody told me that! :( :(

I got my first chameleons in 1992. I've been keeping and breeding hoehnelii for more than 5 years. I had a clutch of 10 about 8 months ago. I divided them into small groups of 2 or 3 keeping males with males and females with females when they were between 3 and 4 months of age. The males color up earlier than the females. I was keeping my eye on a couple of males that looked very promising. The pictured Cham below being one of them. One of the nicest males is now gravid!! How can this happen? Yeah, I'm an expert DUMB ASS!!View attachment 292467View attachment 292466
To be fair, you were correct about how beautiful the coloring is. 🤣🤣😍😍

Welcome to the club. When I first started keeping veileds, for the first batch I hatched, I thought all the brand new hatchlings that patterned up when stressed were the males....turned out they were the females. Didn't even know that males had tarsal spurs (to be begin with) ...nobody told me that! :( :(
That was your first clutch! You're to be forgiven. I've had many hoehnelii clutches over the years. Never been fooled this badly. Chameleon keeping humbles one!

Hey, good job!! I think you just produced the rarest cham known to man😲

What are still some unanswered questions about chameleons that scientists have yet to discover ?

Ha! That is how I picked Clarice! I wanted a male. “Oh this one is showing color already!” Yes, she was showing murderous colors!

Back
Top Bottom