Swollen Tongue!! Result of MBD? or need more Vet help??

Angela4123

The chameleon came into my care after her diagnosis. She was my roommates, and I assumed she was receiving the proper care. After her recent diagnosis this past week I took over.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon. We've had her for a few months, and she can't be much older than that. We got her from Petco.
  • Handling - Rarely except to give her medicine or feed her if she won't open her mouth.
  • Feeding - Wax worms, meal worms smashed with water with a syringe.
  • Supplements - Calceolate Syrup
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - I haven't seen any in awhile.
  • History - She has MBD, she is on a vet prescribed calcium supplement. We were at the vet Monday, and Tuesday when we gave her calcium, she freaked out, acted like we just poisoned her. Her tongue fell out, wouldn't go back in, so we called the vet, and he said it was a result of the MBD. I continued to drip water on it, and eventually the tongue went back in. Wednesday, same reaction to the supplement, and now the tongue is a little swollen, and still slow to put back in her mouth. Thursday when we got up her tongue was super swollen, and wouldn't fit in her mouth and this time when we gave her the calcium she flailed her body, puffed herself up, changed bright, then dark, back to normal, then closed her eyes. I thought she had died this time, but about five minutes later she opened her eyes and was back to (current) normal. I called the doctor again, talked to the nurse and they said she was just reacting to the bad taste. Also she said she would leave a message for the doctor about the tongue, and said he would give me a call back if it was serious. This morning when I gave her the medicine she didn't have any reaction, so either I missed or the taste doesn't bother her anymore? My biggest concern is the tongue. I know the vet said MBD can be a long road to recovery, but this is so swollen and for the most part she doesn't keep it in her mouth. I've been continuing to give her water via the dropper, and trying to feed her the crushed worms, but the tongue is in the way, so I'm also afraid she is not getting enough food. I really want to help this little girl, but I'm not sure if I'm helping, hurting her, or overreacting.

Attachments

• dolly.jpg
    dolly.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 283
She has MBD real bad that's for sure. If it were me I would take her to get a second opinion. It's most likely the MBD, but there could be an infection causing it to. Good luck

Last edited:
I am worried that the liquid calcium is not diluted properly.... and is either hurting her when it touches her or something else. Liquid calcium is really dangerous if not diluted properly. But I would assume your vet would have taken care of it well.

She may have bitten her tongue and that's why it's so swollen. This is going to make it hard for you to feed and water her.
You need to set up a hospital cage so you can keep her warm and give her enough UVB to help her recover from the MBD. Liquid calcium is kind of syrupy and it's hard for the chameleon to deal with it. You have to make sure you don't get any of it into the lungs. You can water it down a bit so it's not so thick.

Read my long lost in this thread for more information...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/please-help-hind-legs-problem.158419/page-2

Back
Top Bottom