Swollen eye in veiled

averysylv20

this morning i noticed my 2 year old girl rubbing her eye on one of her sticks, but i didn’t notice anything. tonight i got home, about 14 or so hrs later and she was rubbing her eye again except it is swollen shut and brown. she’s been perfectly healthy until now and have never had any problems with her. attached are pictures of her good and bad eye and her cage
0F5E161D-B397-4933-B76F-893786C876AD.jpeg
C97B88F3-A03C-491E-AD40-5E2450ED7FC2.jpeg
13D9DAF0-D657-4CB7-B5FB-3869E5717D9A.jpeg
A834240F-28C1-4BB5-BF31-5BDD4B835B8D.jpeg

Here is a couple posibilities There is either an eye infection or could be a retina burn from incorrect lighting. They do normally rub their eyes from time to time, but it shouldn't be something that happens several times a day (unless they are shedding, but you would know if that was the case

i feed her six bugs every other day, alternating between crickets and dubias. every time i feed i dust with zoo-med repti calcium without d3, and once a week i dust with rep-cal calcium with d3. every 2 weeks i dust with rep-cal herpivite multivitamin. i spray her cage with water a couple times a day and i bought a monsoon solo humidifier earlier this week. she eats great and is due to lay her eggs soon.

You might want to take her to a vet. In the meantime how is your humidity levels? Try bumping up the humidity a bit

Here is a couple posibilities There is either an eye infection or could be a retina burn from incorrect lighting. They do normally rub their eyes from time to time, but it shouldn't be something that happens several times a day (unless they are shedding, but you would know if that was the case
i use a 5.0 linear uvb, a 60 watt heating lamp, and a plant grow light. she’s had the same lighting for a long time now and has never had a problem

It could just be that she was itching her eye. But now its swollen and you want to prevent infection. I would take her to vet so it don't get worse. Also you said you use D3 once a week. You only should be giving her D3 twice a month at most. Say like on the 1st and on the 15th. You say you just got a humidifier or a fogger?

It could just be that she was itching her eye. But now its swollen and you want to prevent infection. I would take her to vet so it don't get worse. Also you said you use D3 once a week. You only should be giving her D3 twice a month at most. Say like on the 1st and on the 15th. You say you just got a humidifier or a fogger?
it’s a misting system actually, it sprays her cage for 15 seconds every hour

With Veiled Chameleons you should mist twice a day for like two to five minutes and have a drip system going for about 10 minutes at a time at least once a day. If no drip system is used increase the spraying to several times a day.

You know what i told you wrong on tge humidity levels. I was yhinking about panthers. Alot of people think that they have to get a humidity of 60% to 80% or even 90% in their veiled chameleon tank, because this is what pet shops often recommend when they sell veiled chameleons.

First of all, this isn´t even possible if you have a screen cage or sufficient ventilation in your tank. I mean, think about it, if you would try to get and maintain that, you would have mold on the wall in no time.

In fact, an average humidity of 45% is absolutely fine for veiled chameleons. If you mist, the humidity will rise to probably 65% for a short time which is absolutely okay. You don´t have to have high humidity all the time, so don´t worry about it. And with the female veiled, let me get some pros on that subject. I've only kept male veiled. Love you cage by the way. And get that eye checked out.

You know what i told you wrong on tge humidity levels. I was yhinking about panthers. Alot of people think that they have to get a humidity of 60% to 80% or even 90% in their veiled chameleon tank, because this is what pet shops often recommend when they sell veiled chameleons.

First of all, this isn´t even possible if you have a screen cage or sufficient ventilation in your tank. I mean, think about it, if you would try to get and maintain that, you would have mold on the wall in no time.

In fact, an average humidity of 45% is absolutely fine for veiled chameleons. If you mist, the humidity will rise to probably 65% for a short time which is absolutely okay. You don´t have to have high humidity all the time, so don´t worry about it. And with the female veiled, let me get some pros on that subject. I've only kept male veiled. Love you cage by the way. And get that eye checked out.
okay thank you so much!!

Hi there. looks like you are using the exo terra jungle vines. They are the black ones. They are known for pieces coming off of them. How does she react to misting? Typically a longer misting can help them clear the eye. If she is not fond of water then this requires a vet appointment most of the time.

Food intake is a little high for her. Daytime humidity is 30-50%... Really want to be misting more like 2-3 times a day for 2-4 minutes depending on your environment. This would and should be done mourning and evening when the cage is not too warm.

D3 should rotate 1 feeding a week with the vitamin. So each are given 2 times a month then you want to do plain calcium without d3 at all other feedings.

@MissSkittles and @AmandaS could help you more in depth if you fill out the husbandry form below.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Is that dried moss all over the cage walls inside? I wonder if she could have a bit of it in the eye?

I would recommend having it checked out by a vet.

As for the egglaying bin...as @Chameleoking said....it needs to be in the cage at all times.

Back
Top Bottom