Swimming?

CalaMala

When I had my iguanas I used to fill the tub up a few inches and let them swim. Does anyone know is (vieled) Chams would like that as well?

mine likes to soak in a" knee high " luke warm bath but i dont do it very much,i only did it when he was ill,he ate a tiny tiny piece of perlite(i missed while washing roots and re-potting) and wasnt passing it so soaking helped him pass it and deffecate, and now he likes the bath lol..i put paper towels in the sink and luke warm water and he will sit there and look out the window,once back in his home he acts like a brand spankin new cham,:) think of how a dog acts after a bath...but my cham doesnt run around all crazy like lol

When I had my iguanas I used to fill the tub up a few inches and let them swim. Does anyone know is (vieled) Chams would like that as well?

The way you phrased that "let them swim" cracked me up.

Fill the tub, toss in your iguana and "let" him swim- like he's got a choice LOL.
:D

Long ago in the early 90s I sold a veiled to a local who ended up being a little "different". Several months after selling him the lizard, he invited me over to his house to check out his new setup that he had converted from an old stereo cabinet. While there he told me he wanted to show me something- casually walked over to the kitchen sink and dropped his veiled into a sink full of water much to my astonishment. The veiled blew itself up like a little balloon and floated quite well, paddling less well with his little feet. I told him that was not a great idea for a chameleon and it certainly didn't enjoy it and please don't do that again!

So yeah- they can survive a swim. But no, they aren't very good at it unless bobbing along like a ballon on the surface of the water is good at it, and no, they don't appear to enjoy it.

That guy ended up pushing the limits of what I believed a chameleon as a pet was- I ran into him regularly for several years after I sold him that lizard- in the summer he wore the chameleon on his hat to the the store, and he would hold it and pet it. I would never do those things with a chameleon- mine never seemed to enjoy being touched. But his seemed fine with it, judging by it's coloration and body language. It appeared very healthy.

I think about it from time to time and always end up thinking the same thing- it was weird.

Man that would be a fight to the death for the little one not to drown. I do not think attempting that would be a good idea.

Fill the tub, toss in your iguana and "let" him swim- like he's got a choice LOL.
:D

Long ago in the early 90s I sold a veiled to a local who ended up being a little "different". Several months after selling him the lizard, he invited me over to his house to check out his new setup that he had converted from an old stereo cabinet. While there he told me he wanted to show me something- casually walked over to the kitchen sink and dropped his veiled into a sink full of water much to my astonishment. The veiled blew itself up like a little balloon and floated quite well, paddling less well with his little feet. I told him that was not a great idea for a chameleon and it certainly didn't enjoy it and please don't do that again!

So yeah- they can survive a swim. But no, they aren't very good at it unless bobbing along like a ballon on the surface of the water is good at it, and no, they don't appear to enjoy it.

That guy ended up pushing the limits of what I believed a chameleon as a pet was- I ran into him regularly for several years after I sold him that lizard- in the summer he wore the chameleon on his hat to the the store, and he would hold it and pet it. I would never do those things with a chameleon- mine never seemed to enjoy being touched. But his seemed fine with it, judging by it's coloration and body language. It appeared very healthy.

I think about it from time to time and always end up thinking the same thing- it was weird.

“The Dead man float”! :D

:D/QUOTE]

LOL Yeah you got a point, but the iguanas did love to swim..they even had a latter to come out when they were ready. The free ranged most of the time , I only caged them when people where visiting (always going in and out, in and out) I was always afraid someone would let them go.

I think for my cham I am going to stick to the Shower!!

Thank you everyone for your imput!

LOL Yeah you got a point, but the iguanas did love to swim..they even had a latter to come out when they were ready. The free ranged most of the time , I only caged them when people where visiting (always going in and out, in and out) I was always afraid someone would let them go.

Yah I had a freeranger too for years and years and understand about the bath- I was just enjoying your choice of phrase. Mine was like my dog and went everywhere with me during the summer before I was married- basking in the rear window of my car on fast trips to the store or trips to friends, etc, and even after we had kids he went with us on vacations and stuff. He could even be trusted outdoors- I could literally let him out and let him in again when he had done his business on the lawn and basked a little while on the patio- he would come scratching on the back door to be let in.

Somewhere I've got photos of me and the iguana at the beach when we went on vacation one year. During dog hours I "let" him bodysurf in the waves LOL- he was actually really really good at it. I could swim 30 yards out with him and let him go and he had no problem surfing all the way in.

I took him tubing once down the river too, but he sat on me and/or the tube that trip. What can I say - I was much younger and not as wise and he was an outstanding lizard. I've got a few stories that are hard to believe if I hadn't been there with him. The letting him out to do his business and get some sun and letting him back in again is only one of several examples of his personality and intelligence. I mourned him for years after he passed away. From time to time I still think about him- we did a necropsy after he passed on to see what we could see about his health and I was amazed how small his brain was- incredible he could do so much with it. I've had a number of them over the years (I've a nice pair of adults even now) but none ever as special as that one.

Back
Top Bottom