Swelling of casque and cheeks

So just an update on the situation... Rico has completed his cycle of antibiotics. This was my first time having to give him medicine. Quite the challenge, especially during his really bad shedding moments, but it is done. I am to follow up with the vet in a few days as to how Rico is doing and go from there. His casque and cheeks are still swollen but it has definitely reduced. Knowing that air was what is filling these areas, I can see that sometimes it seems like the casque moves at times, almost like an inhale and exhale (this is not scientifically proven of course). He is still eating, drinking, , and acting like normal. Depending what the vet

Attachments

• IMG_0392.JPG
    IMG_0392.JPG
    365.1 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0393.JPG
    IMG_0393.JPG
    282 KB · Views: 171
Not sure what you mean by this? My experience with the Odd Pet Vet has been great, Have you heard different?
Oh sorry you just meant the name lol. It is a part of the New England Wildlife center. Since it is not only a vet office, I feel like the prices are not as steep as other exotic vets. They actually operate off of donations, vet fees, and charging for tours to the wildlife center. They have a bunch of turtles and different reptile that actually live there. I have never toured to center only been for vet visits but my daughters school and other schools in the area take field trips there. They have a website if you're interested. It is actually a pretty awesome environment. They have a huge box turtle that just wanders around the facility

Hey I have to his problem with my female veiled chameleon what do you suggest I do

So recently I noticed my male veiled Cham had swelling of his casque and cheeks. I was baffled and researched for days, scrolling through old posts here and in a Facebook group. I saw everything from over hydration, fat storage, liquid build up, MBD, and infections. No matter what I could not find any clear answer. Even worse on these posts from years ago, no one ever came back and said the outcome or what the vet diagnosed.... well I just returned from the vet and wanted to share the information in case anyone else has a similar problem in the future... the vet has diagnosed it as subcutaneous emphyesama due to a respiratory infection. My sweet little boy is now on antibiotics and I will update the vet over the next few days and go from there. Most fascinating..... what was in the casque???? Liquid? Fat? Nope .... using a syringe (which almost made me cry) the vet extracted.... AIR!!! I certainly was not expecting that... he concludes that because of the respiratory infection a small gap must have opened up in his airway causing air to fill his casque and cheeks.... crazy. I am hoping this solves the issue and will update. Here are some pics of the swelling
Hey I have this problem with my female veiled chameleon what do you suggest I do

Hey I have this problem with my female veiled chameleon what do you suggest I do
This was a long time ago but if I remember correctly he was put on a course of antibiotics for respiratory infection. How old is your Cham? I would suggest starting a thread with your husbandry and some pics of your Cham. There are a lot of great staff and participants in this group!

This was a long ti

This was a long time ago but if I remember correctly he was put on a course of antibiotics for respiratory infection. How old is your Cham? I would suggest starting a thread with your husbandry and some pics of your Cham. There are a lot of great staff and participants in this group!
At some point the swollen casque did come back. I did not have it treated again and Rico lived for 3 additional years and passed from an unrelated issue.

Where would be a good place to get antibiotics

Where would be a good place to get antibiotics
The vet is the only place we’ve received antibiotics. I’d definitely take her for check. In Rico’s case it was air. I have heard other theories and experiences of others saying different. I think a vet is the best bet. Can you post pics?

The vet is the only place we’ve received antibiotics. I’d definitely take her for check. In Rico’s case it was air. I have heard other theories and experiences of others saying different. I think a vet is the best bet. Can you post pics?
image.jpg

Please post several more photos so we can see all of your chameleon from the side as well.

What supplements have you been using and how often for each. I’m particularly interested in whether they have phos, calcium, D3 and what form of vitamin A they have in them.

How many insects do you feed her in a week and what kinds of insects? What do you feed/gut load the insects with?

What specific lights are on the cage? Basking and UVB.

It wouldn’t hurt to get her checked out. In my experience after the original RI was treated, he continued to live with it without issue. No real way to tell if it is the same with out getting her checked. Good luck!
Thank you so much it is really nice to have a second opinion on this thank you

See the post above from @kinyonga about obesity. 5-8 every 2 days is too much. We feed females only 3-4 feeders 3 times a week. Plus meal worms aren’t good feeders and should have a variety of feeders. Please open a new thread as suggested by @Beman Then we can help you better with some structured advice.

Back
Top Bottom