Swelling of casque and cheeks

Erica1884

Avid Member
So recently I noticed my male veiled Cham had swelling of his casque and cheeks. I was baffled and researched for days, scrolling through old posts here and in a Facebook group. I saw everything from over hydration, fat storage, liquid build up, MBD, and infections. No matter what I could not find any clear answer. Even worse on these posts from years ago, no one ever came back and said the outcome or what the vet diagnosed.... well I just returned from the vet and wanted to share the information in case anyone else has a similar problem in the future... the vet has diagnosed it as subcutaneous emphyesama due to a respiratory infection. My sweet little boy is now on antibiotics and I will update the vet over the next few days and go from there. Most fascinating..... what was in the casque???? Liquid? Fat? Nope .... using a syringe (which almost made me cry) the vet extracted.... AIR!!! I certainly was not expecting that... he concludes that because of the respiratory infection a small gap must have opened up in his airway causing air to fill his casque and cheeks.... crazy. I am hoping this solves the issue and will update. Here are some pics of the swelling

Attachments

• IMG_0319.JPG
    IMG_0319.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 711
  • IMG_0329.JPG
    IMG_0329.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 741
  • IMG_0326.JPG
    IMG_0326.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 583
No problem. He is still eating and drinking and pooping fine so hoping it will work out okay
What did the vet prescribe for his respiratory infections?Amoxicillin ;cephalexin??
Try keep the temperature slightly higher than normal to boost up his immunity system.

:eek: really air... damn
Yeah crazy! So my vet consulted with a few vets there just to all put their heads together on it. And one of the vets said "definitely go ahead and take a sample... but all you are going to get is air" I was like wtf? So crazy...

What did the vet prescribe for his respiratory infections?Amoxicillin ;cephalexin??
Try keep the temperature slightly higher than normal to boost up his immunity system.
Well that I don't know oops didn't think to ask him what it was I will email him tomorrow and ask just here is a pick of the stuff maybe you can tell by his scribbles it does not have to be refrigerated lol I know that

Attachments

• IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    243 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0357.JPG
    IMG_0357.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 234
Well that I don't know oops didn't think to ask him what it was I will email him tomorrow and ask just here is a pick of the stuff maybe you can tell by his scribbles it does not have to be refrigerated lol I know that
It looks like sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim,is that the red bottles in the pic?

Is his left front leg swollen...especially at the wrist?
I don't think it is swollen, vet didn't seem concerned. He was in motion in those pictures. Maybe that is what you see? He doesn't have any issues climbing around, really good grips. He is sleeping now otherwise I'd go inspect him... he has had a rough day.

So just an update on the situation... Rico has completed his cycle of antibiotics. This was my first time having to give him medicine. Quite the challenge, especially during his really bad shedding moments, but it is done. I am to follow up with the vet in a few days as to how Rico is doing and go from there. His casque and cheeks are still swollen but it has definitely reduced. Knowing that air was what is filling these areas, I can see that sometimes it seems like the casque moves at times, almost like an inhale and exhale (this is not scientifically proven of course). He is still eating, drinking, pooping, and acting like normal. Depending what the vet says, I really don't think I want to continue pumping medicine down his throat. the way I see it, if it is actually leaking air into his casque, antibiotic isn't going to fix the leak, it definitely could have fixed the underlying problem, resp. infection but I am assuming he is just going to continue to have the physical effects. He seems fine and healthy so we will see what the vet says and go from there. Will attach a few new pics after I post this thread.

Back
Top Bottom