Sweet Grumpy

@Sonny13 said..."True, we exhale moisture. However, chameleons are one of the only creatures in the world that can actually absorb moisture from air through their lungs, if I’m not wrong and can remember the reading correctly. They did weighing tests with them, before and after a good night of fog and without fog. And they gained weight during a night with dense fog"...
You might like to o read this...
https://www.monkfieldreptile.com/SSP Applications/NetSuite Inc. - CMS/CMS/Site-2/files/The Importance of Humidity/Chameleon-Hydration-Utilising-Fog-2020.pdf
That’s the one 👍🏻, great article thanks, gonna read it again✌🏻

@Sonny13 said..."True, we exhale moisture. However, chameleons are one of the only creatures in the world that can actually absorb moisture from air through their lungs, if I’m not wrong and can remember the reading correctly. They did weighing tests with them, before and after a good night of fog and without fog. And they gained weight during a night with dense fog"...
You might like to o read this...
https://www.monkfieldreptile.com/SSP Applications/NetSuite Inc. - CMS/CMS/Site-2/files/The Importance of Humidity/Chameleon-Hydration-Utilising-Fog-2020.pdf
Why did I hear Petr’s voice in my head reading parts of that article and am I the only one?

Why did I hear Petr’s voice in my head reading parts of that article and am I the only one?
Big Brother Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Still waiting to hear the lab results. I called yesterday late afternoon and found they had closed at noon. Called this morning and they said their lab is having faxing issues.
@jannb I did ask if they tested for amoeba and they said the fecal sample would have to be tested within an hour of it being expelled. That would be really hard to do…would have to catch her pooping and then a 40+ minute drive to Orlando.

Still waiting to hear the lab results. I called yesterday late afternoon and found they had closed at noon. Called this morning and they said their lab is having faxing issues.
@jannb I did ask if they tested for amoeba and they said the fecal sample would have to be tested within an hour of it being expelled. That would be really hard to do…would have to catch her pooping and then a 40+ minute drive to Orlando.

My vet used a little probe thing and got a little poop for the fecal because Angel didn’t give us one at all.

I hope you get the bloodwork soon and with good results.

Ok, finally got Grumpy’s lab results.
Her white count is extremely high at 53,000. Normal is around 13.
Differential is also extremely high, but he didn’t tell me what it was.
Hematocrit is actually a little lower than he read and is at 9.
One of her liver enzymes is elevated, but he didn’t say which and it isn’t too alarming right now.
Kidney function is perfect. Calcium level is a little high but is ok. Could be caused by her starting a reproductive cycle.
No markers which would indicate a parasitic problem.
So the interpretation is presumably an infection. I have to go tomorrow and pick up Baytril for her, which she’ll be on for 14 days. No idea where the infection is and he did briefly mention it could be related to a mass. Leukemia is rare in reptiles and to do a bone marrow biopsy, he’d have to enlist the experience of other vets in the country. Pretty much the same for doing any endoscopy to check for reproductive or other sources.
I’m to continue giving the extra fluids and food, as well as the antibiotic and return for follow up in 2 weeks.
My sweet and beautiful girl…this is breaking my heart to have her be sick.

One of her liver enzymes is elevated, but he didn’t say which and it isn’t too alarming right now.
Kidney function is perfect. Calcium level is a little high but is ok. Could be caused by her starting a reproductive cycle.
So the interpretation is presumably an infection. I have to go tomorrow and pick up Baytril for her, which she’ll be on for 14 days. No idea where the infection is and he did briefly mention it could be related to a mass. Leukemia is rare in reptiles and to do a bone marrow biopsy, he’d have to enlist the experience of other vets in the country. Pretty much the same for doing any endoscopy to check for reproductive or other sources.
I’m to continue giving the extra fluids and food, as well as the antibiotic and return for follow up in 2 weeks.
Poor girl. Hopefully the baytril works and it is not something more serious. ❤️

What's differential?
I should have known this, but had to look it up. It’s the percentage of the various types of white blood cells. He said she had no eosinophils or basophils, which would indicate parasites. Heterophils and monocytes were in equal levels, along with a couple of others that I didn’t write down and forgot what they were. He didn’t really tell me all that it means and I’m not sure he would have had the time to explain it thoroughly to me.

That’s what we pay the doctors/veterinarians for…to interpret the meaning of it all. I guess some types of white cells can indicate parasites, other indicate infection, some indicate inflammation, etc etc.

I should have known this, but had to look it up. It’s the percentage of the various types of white blood cells. He said she had no eosinophils or basophils, which would indicate parasites. Heterophils and monocytes were in equal levels, along with a couple of others that I didn’t write down and forgot what they were. He didn’t really tell me all that it means and I’m not sure he would have had the time to explain it thoroughly to me.
This is basic terms in humans but neutrophils or segmented wbcs typically take care of bacteria. Lymphocytes viral stuff. I would assume the same in reptiles? The cells may be called something else.

The bright side-healthy kidneys mean the Baytril will be better tolerated! And even if the infection is secondary to some other problem, getting it under control is key. Our prey animals have such subtle symptoms I think you did a GREAT job catching this and getting her to the vet right away. Thoughts and prayers headed your way.

Dr Bruce talked to me a little when I picked up the Baytril. He gave me the impression that Grumpy’s situation is an unusual one. He spoke with several other vets who found her case interesting (said they wished the case was theirs) and felt the antibiotic is the best course. He also said he’s never seen as high of a white blood cell count in a lizard as hers is. Still no idea what the hard lumps on her sides are, other than they aren’t eggs or follicles. They were quite prominent earlier and her underbelly looked bloated. All my hopes are in the antibiotic at this point. I just have a really bad gut feeling that this isn’t going to end well. 😞

Back
Top Bottom