Sweet dreams, my handsome prince

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
I’ve debated whether or not to share this now or later. I am crushed and heartbroken and don’t want to have to make myself feel this much pain again in the future.
Yesterday I needed to let my big beautiful and sweet Hammlet pass peacefully, painlessly and with dignity.
He started to show signs of illness around his hatch day on the 7th. I’ll spare the details of everything, but he kept declining and labs showed he had a tumor, most likely on his liver. I had to opt for just keeping him comfortable. He declined too quickly. The edema spread to his belly and kept growing larger, he could not swallow, was wobbly just sitting on a branch as his grip was becoming very weak, and from how uncomfortable he looked while sleeping and had a restless night, it was clear that it was time. I did not want him to have any pain or suffering. Through it all I did have the support and love of @Sonny13 ,the loving wisdom, knowledge and support of @kinyonga, @jannb who loved him since she hatched him and @Beman who I am forever grateful to for going above and beyond for us. Without them I don’t know what I would have done. They are my angels and I love them so much.

C3E23B20-28FA-444A-AB48-56787FDDD36D.jpeg
F741E8FA-A8E4-4C29-94D5-571CCDB5C113.jpeg
D791BC0E-B636-4646-9DE3-2A6539F1B03F.jpeg
DEC54D46-1295-40AC-84C3-15F547CCA0E6.jpeg

Last edited:
I will never forget how tiny he was when I first got him from @jannb . I was almost afraid to handle him. Such a beautiful baby.
498E57BB-E88E-4259-A544-4651CD068E38.jpeg
23E1C68B-D1A4-42D9-B713-1B5ACCE8FF93.jpeg

He grew so fast!
C41F2292-DF6A-4DDB-932C-831D841BCE4D.jpeg
39FCABCD-294B-467C-A711-69DD08BD4C1F.jpeg

Started to show how beautiful he was.
DDDA2883-5F7A-49BD-BC5D-3D163450336A.jpeg

All those big boy colors starting but still such a little guy.
CFD681CC-3832-42A1-B221-1861D7FC3343.jpeg
7070A9FD-E87C-45E3-8B78-9E5EA327FB1A.jpeg

Then the casque started growing along with the rest of him.
21C48D42-85AB-4CBD-9A57-72472221168A.jpeg

He really did not like being held.
87B86242-1618-41C4-9B7A-4DD53AC4D7A9.jpeg

I remember how shocked I was when I saw this pic and realized how big his casque had gotten.
FD2B4E8B-2279-40B2-A832-6F03FCCF0EA1.jpeg

Stella had pulled back her coco coir sheeting and discovered the handsome boy living next door to her. This was the start of their forbidden love affair.
658F5983-23AE-4669-9EF5-4EE909DBC6A4.jpeg

So silly and cute. For a long time he used to sleep in his shooting gallery.
086D78BD-72FD-4EE3-8D3D-D1E67A625E25.jpeg

Always running away from me. He was so very shy. Where my girls will stand their ground and attack, Hammlet always preferred to just avoid and flee. Not once did he ever bite and it was rare that he would try. He would let me gently stroke his chin or a mitten hand at times.
12CDB3CD-F035-4203-B5F7-B137EFF17C4C.jpeg
8C1466D4-28D3-45C7-AE7D-CD96D737C193.jpeg
693CE757-23D4-4AE3-9681-FBB698ABCCA9.jpeg

Yeesh! He ran up on top of my head and I thought it would be a cute pic. Before I knew it thought he then ran down me, across my bed and to a corner. I learned that day just how fast chameleons can move.
FC7338A3-F794-4118-84B6-36FF501F23ED.jpeg

I’m so glad that I thought to record this - his beautiful dance for his lady love, Stella.

My sweet sweet boy, I’m going to miss you so very much. You brought me so very much joy and happiness with your personality, quirks and beauty. I only hope that I gave you a good life and that you were happy. Until we meet again someday….
BEEAA1EC-1ED0-4E61-9F82-394D0253D6E2.jpeg

Last edited:
Life is so unpredictable….we can do everything right for them and yet we still have curves thrown at us. It’s the same for the animals as it is with people it seems. Just remember that he couldn’t have had a better place to live his life out….and keep him in your heart. Big, tight hugs. RIP Hammlet.😢 He was a beautiful boy!

Vikki, I am so very sorry for your loss of Hammlet. You are a wonderful pet mom. The very worst part of having a pet, is having to say good bye. I know someday we will see Hammlet and our other babies that we have lost. Sending you all my love. Sleep tight Hammlet. ❤️

I’m so sorry to see this. 😢 Rest in peace Hamlet. He was a beauty, and had one of the best keepers around. He had a wonderful life, great keeper and beautiful stella right by his side.
Thank you for sharing at this difficult time. ❤️

I’ve debated whether or not to share this now or later. I am crushed and heartbroken and don’t want to have to make myself feel this much pain again in the future.
Yesterday I needed to let my big beautiful and sweet Hammlet pass peacefully, painlessly and with dignity.
He started to show signs of illness around his hatch day on the 7th. I’ll spare the details of everything, but he kept declining and labs showed he had a tumor, most likely on his liver. I had to opt for just keeping him comfortable. He declined too quickly. The edema spread to his belly and kept growing larger, he could not swallow, was wobbly just sitting on a branch as his grip was becoming very weak, and from how uncomfortable he looked while sleeping and had a restless night, it was clear that it was time. I did not want him to have any pain or suffering. Through it all I did have the support and love of @Sonny13 ,the loving wisdom, knowledge and support of @kinyonga, @jannb who loved him since she hatched him and @Beman who I am forever grateful to for going above and beyond for us. Without them I don’t know what I would have done. They are my angels and I love them so much.

View attachment 336502View attachment 336503View attachment 336504View attachment 336505
He was one of a kind with a one of a kind mom. Sending healing thoughts your way

Such a beautiful remembrance of such handsome boy. R.I.P. Hammlet, I know you had an amazing life with mommy and she did best she could do till the end. Enjoy your heavenworms up there 💚

So sorry for your loss sweetheart. RIP Hammlet you will be missed beautiful boy. ❤️
Thank you Becca. I really don’t know what I would have done without you. 💗 You were my rock, my friend, my everything during such a rotten time. Love you girl!
I am so sad to see this, my heart breaks everytime I see one of the Hammy family pass. I’m so glad he had 3 amazing years with you. 🤗🤗🤗
Thank you Jan. I feel the same about the Hammy & Ivy babies. Give your three lots of love and give them all an extra silkworm for me. 💗
Life is so unpredictable….we can do everything right for them and yet we still have curves thrown at us. It’s the same for the animals as it is with people it seems. Just remember that he couldn’t have had a better place to live his life out….and keep him in your heart. Big, tight hugs. RIP Hammlet.😢 He was a beautiful boy!
Thank you Lynda. 💗 Your calm and loving words of experience were exactly what I needed when I was panicked.
Vikki, I am so very sorry for your loss of Hammlet. You are a wonderful pet mom. The very worst part of having a pet, is having to say good bye. I know someday we will see Hammlet and our other babies that we have lost. Sending you all my love. Sleep tight Hammlet. ❤️
Thank you and thank you again Jann for everything. 💗 I felt and feel so very blessed to have been able to have one of Hammy and Ivy’s babies. He’s at peace and making the hereafter much more beautiful with his presence.

Last edited:
I’m so sorry to see this. 😢 Rest in peace Hamlet. He was a beauty, and had one of the best keepers around. He had a wonderful life, great keeper and beautiful stella right by his side.
Thank you for sharing at this difficult time. ❤️
Thank you for your kind words. 🥰 I broke the news to Stella…she was wanting to eat her grief away.
He was one of a kind with a one of a kind mom. Sending healing thoughts your way
Thank you. 🥰 He was my special fella…my ‘big handsome’.
Such a beautiful remembrance of such handsome boy. R.I.P. Hammlet, I know you had an amazing life with mommy and she did best she could do till the end. Enjoy your heavenworms up there 💚
Thank you Sonny. 💗 You helped me more than you know. I like that…heavenworms. They must be the tastiest and juiciest ever.

Back
Top Bottom