Sweating away.

Just days after my female calyptratus laid her second clutch (20 eggs this time!*), her eggs from the previous clutch are nearig hatch-time. Two of them have begun to shink back and sweat a bit - so it should be soon.

As many clutches as I've hatched, it just gets more and more exciting every time. It makes sense that they woudl start hatching right about now. I am waiting for a call to confirm if I got a job.

IF I get it, I'll be moving up into the mountains (5 hours away) in two weeks, with new baby chameleons (got 41 eggs), 4 day gecko eggs + one neonate, 4 deremensis, 2 melleri, 4 calyptratus (adults), a big day gecko, three leopard geckos, two tortoises, and all my stuff (including roaches and worms)... and then I have to come back to the Raleigh area on weekends to ready the house for sale. I figured that I would probably get a new job in the mountains JUST as they were going to hatch.

The way it looks, I'll be driving up there with a clutch of eggs that is in the middle of hatching! I'll try to take some cute pics of them hatching.

hectic hectic hectic...

This old man gets to be a dad again.
IMG_1802.JPG

*I deliberatly reduced her intake of food since her previous clutch, resulting a low clutch size. Anything over 35 is a bit high for me, and since her last clutch was so big, I wanted to make sure she didn't overdo it. She was able to develop these eggs and lay them very easily. She even escaped the egg-laying trash the next morning - after covering her nest in the middle of the night (last clutch, she did the same thing). I fed her approximately 1-2 crickets, every other day, for 5 months after her last clutch. I increased feedings for a few weeks, and she became receptive again. After mating, I let her eat a lot more (the clutch size is pretty much fixed by that time) to make sure she was in good shape.
Females that lay under 40 eggs just seem so much better after laying eggs. Big clutches just really knock them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric

can i ask a question, looking at your male veiled picture following his dorsal scales up his back there seems to be a niche or loss of those dorsal scales, kindof like a cut. my male who is about 1 year plus seems to have lost a few of his dorsal scales and indentation in the same place, i put him outside for the June, July sun and i noticed alot of sheds but the back dorsal seemed to take longer, now that i brought him back indoors i noticed he has an indentation like that on his back? do you know what it is from? did he burn himself?
drew

I'll post an update when they are hatching - I've got 6 eggs sweating right now.

Good eye, he does have an injury on his back. When he was very young, about 4 months old, he was extremely shy. I watched him hide from me one day, squeezing in between some small branches, actually breaking a dorsal scale in front of me! It was just a lost "spike" at first, but the damage caused scar tissue to form. The scar grew,and caused him to have trouble shedding there. When he was about 2, he got a severe burn, and burned this area a little. It got worse after that.

It causes no problems, but the scar tissue caused him to lose some more dorsal scales over the years.

Burns are a common cause of this.

Back
Top Bottom