Swallowed Rock :/

Maki

I'm so bummed! I saw my little guy (4-5 months old male Panther) swallow a rock while outside this morning. He has no rocks in his enclosure.. And he's well fed! I never thought he would go for an inanimate object while sunning himself!

Anyways, I'm going to follow my own advise, and follow this game plan, from a similar situation:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...her-cham-swallowing-a-rock.92213/#post-860909

I'll wait 3-4 days before I panic.

In the mean time I'm assuming I should hydrate well, and watch all stool carefully. I have hornworms for him at the moment.. So I wonder if allowing him to have his fill of those would help to pass anything?? Being as they are very soft and mostly moisture..

But, if he doesn't pass it, vet time (><)

Any suggestions, prayers, or well wishes greatly accepted!!

Thanks.

How big was the rock? A four to five month old panther is pretty small. My daughter had a female panther swallow a rock but didn't see her do it. My daughter kept thinking it was an egg she didn't pass because the rock was the size of a jelly bean. After she passed away an autopsy was preformed and it was a rock.

How big was the rock? A four to five month old panther is pretty small. My daughter had a female panther swallow a rock but didn't see her do it. My daughter kept thinking it was an egg she didn't pass because the rock was the size of a jelly bean. After she passed away an autopsy was preformed and it was a rock.

I'm not 100% sure but if I had to guess it was probably about 1/4 inch or so.. And I'm not sure if it *wasn't* a bug and only a bug, it happened so fast I couldn't see what he went for.. But, he shot at something in/near the gravel and swallowed it instantly. It was definitely smaller than most of his prey items, as it went down in a single gulp. I'm assuming the worst and now I'm on alert. He is going to be isolated to his cage for the next 3-4 days and I'm going to watch him carefully.

image.jpeg

There's a picture of the naughty one, I'll post more in the next few days to help monitor him and document what he looks like as he/if he passes this stone.

Fingers crossed! Hope he'll pass it without problems.
If it was a dog there would be plenty of tips about what to do but it aint that easy with a cham sadly

Id load him up with worms. Worms will give any cham a runny urate and make it easier to pass stuff. It shouldnt take more than 1-2 worms a day, at least with my guys.

I have a live plant in my 5 month old panthers cage. I covered the potting soil with rather large rocks to prevent him from accidentally eating dirt. I just watched my little guy going down to the rocks and trying to pick one up with his mouth (no tongue involvement). I was so glad that the rocks were too big to fit in his mouth! Crazy little guy!

Yes!!!! It finally did yesterday morning! I had been checking the dropping and yesterday I found a little 1/4" stone! Phew! Thanks everyone for advice and positive thoughts!!

Oh, and he shed this morning so I think he's doing pretty darn good overall!

Thats great. And he must be a well fed, and fully hydrated Cham. As that was definitely a factor of him passing the rock with what was relative ease.

Do keep a close eye for any bleeding in the poo in the next couple he does. Unlikely......but if may have cause a a few internal cuts and grazes coming out.

Back
Top Bottom