survival rate after 7th clutch?

Jerm

Avid Member
Hello everyone,
My female ambanja panther has just layed her 7th clutch of eggs, 43 of them. I have read somewhere that a lot of times they die after their 7th clutch. Has anyone else heard this? I have kept up with her supplimentation, and she seems to be in very good health. She is a year and a half old now and most of her clutches were pretty large ones, around 42. I would like to retire her but I'm not sure how to do it. Does anyone have experience with doing this? Even if I stop breeding her she will continue to lay eggs, so how exactly do you retire a female panther? I am going to try cooling her down. I bought her as a baby so I am attatched to her and don't want to see her die, but I know that her time is limited. Suggestions and comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jerm, just simply keep her. Dont think about mating her. Enjoy her and handle her safely once and a while. Cutback on feeding and the calcium a bit. After 6 months or whenever you are satisfied that she will not lay another clutch from retained sperm (One of mine is on her 3rd clutch from only one mating) you can officially retire her and place her in the hands of someone you know that just wants a "pet" and no intentions of breeding.

I have not heard of the "7th Clutch Exipry Rule" however I do know some wholesalers stop breeding their chameleons after they reach 2 years of age whether they be male or female.

Thanks Will. I will do that. It's amazing how many eggs that one female can produce. 2 years sounds like a good age for retirement for these guys.

Yes you regulate the food intake during the time between mating and laying.

If you give less food/vit/calcium during the first week and a half of she will produce fewer eggs. Then if you increase all in the following weeks then she will have enough intake to properly develope the eggs. If you feed a decent amount eggs should turn out a decent size, if you are powerfeeding her as much as she will eat, with plenty of calcium and vitamins, the eggs might be larger than normal.

None of this is really document, but I was tipped of about this but someone with much experience and so far it has worked on several clutches.

THANK YOU GUYS for all this useful info. When I start mine I will be sure to update and inquire about any questions.

I don't agree with giving the chameleon less calcium....but controlling the food seems to help control the size of the clutches.

BTW...this thread is really old.

Back
Top Bottom