Surprise, we've got babies!

Mammabee

Hello Everyone.. I'm new around here and was wondering if anyone knew much about Rudis Chameleons. We woke this morning, very surprised to find that our girl had given birth to 12 little babies!! Such a great way to start the day.

Does anyone have any tips on how to feed them the flightless fruit flies? I plan on putting them in a hanging bowl and I'm afraid they are just going to crawl out of that and through the screen. Also, do I dust them like I do for the parents and should I use a dripper for their drinking water or will they be okay just drinking the water from the mister? Seems like the drops from the dripper are twice the size of them!

Thanks for any help/suggestions!
-Heather

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your babies. I have not kept Rudis but I have kept baby veileds and baby panthers and I just let the fruit flies free roam in the baby bin. I don't know about Rudis but baby veileds and panthers usually don't eat until a day or two after they hatch. We do have a member on here named Carl that has allot of experience with Rudis. You can look at his profile and PM him here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/members/carlc/

I had a baby jackson and for her I put a piece of fruit in with the fruit flies where they were easier for her to catch them - it worked for me. That and a fly eating plant near the cage. Sherley is still around (the plant didn't make it)
Good luck with them-

I've raised some Rudis in my time.

They will eat in a couple of days. Anything small enough to fit works, fruit flies are great and I also used pinhead crickets. I only dusted the crickets and I used straight calcium on those.

Be careful with watering, it's easy to drown them. I used to use a real real fine mist on a hand sprayer and spray upwards and let it drift down on them and their leaves. They would drink off the leaves. I did that 2-4 times a day, real light misting's until they got a bit bigger around 3 months. Use your judgment.

They eat ALOT.

Have a little 25 wt bulb on a timer aimed at some perches in one corner, you will see them use that a little in the mornings. I kept my basking areas around 84-85 and the rest of the cage was in the high 70's. They migrated around to where they were comfortable.

Thanks everyone, I'm having so much fun with these little ones and loving every minute!

Thanks for the warning OldCham, I've been hand misting them with fine mist setting but it seems to be creating bigger sort of drops. One little one kept opening its mouth to catch the drops as they went by, I'm hoping now that I didn't give it too much water and drowned it. :eek:

Thanks kplatroet for the great tip, I never thought to keep some fruit in it to keep the flies from roaming. As of now I've just been trying to place them on the leaves where the babies are basking but it's darned near impossible. Would it be okay to hang a plastic bowl from the side and put the fruit and flies in there? Someone warned me about having their little tongues getting stuck to the plastic.

I've never heard of bean beetles, I'll have to look them up and see where I can get them. Variety would be good especially if these lil ones turn out to be picky eaters.

How do I post pictures?

Thanks everyone, I'm having so much fun with these little ones and loving every minute!

Thanks for the warning OldCham, I've been hand misting them with fine mist setting but it seems to be creating bigger sort of drops. One little one kept opening its mouth to catch the drops as they went by, I'm hoping now that I didn't give it too much water and drowned it. :eek:

Thanks kplatroet for the great tip, I never thought to keep some fruit in it to keep the flies from roaming. As of now I've just been trying to place them on the leaves where the babies are basking but it's darned near impossible. Would it be okay to hang a plastic bowl from the side and put the fruit and flies in there? Someone warned me about having their little tongues getting stuck to the plastic.

I've never heard of bean beetles, I'll have to look them up and see where I can get them. Variety would be good especially if these lil ones turn out to be picky eaters.

How do I post pictures?

This is how I post photos. https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-post-photos-video-3609/

I believe Nick that posted above has some bean beetles for sale.

Ooh, thanks Jann! Doesn't seem too hard, let's see if I can figure this out....

The babies on my daughter's hands a few hours after they were born, moving into their new home.

003 - Copy (640x409) (600x383).jpg

They are cute! With Sherley I used one of the little disposable salad dressing cups with a velcro button on it - with the other side on a bottle cap - it was easy to move around - I didn't think of her getting her tongue stuck on it though.

would love to see pic of them, 12 babies, what a wonder. Oh is that them on your hands, I thought it was an avatar! lol

Back
Top Bottom