Surprise notice, termite house "tent" fumigation.. Cages and tank worries

Crackhead

Ok, I've never experienced this before, my new landlord is going to fumigate for termites, he's tenting the complex soon. I've been down the road manually spraying but I've never experienced the house being tented. 12 cages and tanks/some fish, this is freaking me out. Should I remove everything (tanks,cages) if so how long should I wait til I set everything backup.
I know about removing my pets/fish/plants, what about the cages and tanks, what about light fixtures, will I need to remove those too? Just thinking about packing up and disassembly is getting overwhelming, then cleaning afterwards and wiping down everything is scaring the crap out of me as I have a few free range pets.

Has anyone gone though this and what should I do for prep/afterwards, should I have my carpets cleaned because I have some free range? I feel like I'm going to have to take apart my misting system/pumps/filters so chemicals won't get into those. I've found posts on spraying but not tenting.

Any recommendations or past experiences. Ugh

As far as i know they still use a odorless gas called sulfuryl fluoride, and a gas similar to tear gas(incase anyone is still in the house). In which case once the gas is gone, so is the danger. It leaves zero residue and can not be absorbed by things. You want to remove "organics" such as food and plants.

Id say my only consern would be fish tank water... Not sure if that stuff can be absorbed by water.

But like i said, they are pumping in a gas. The carpet is not going to be absorbing it etc. Its not like they are pumping in a fine mist that will be clinging to everything.

If you want to think of it another way, pretend they are filling your house with carbon-monoxide, how much cleaning is required afterwards?

Last edited:
I guess I'll tear everything down, even the pumps and hoses, I'll check with my local salt water people about the tanks/water. I'd hate to have to drain and restabilize those before reacclimating fish, that's a pain. Just removing the fish is hard enough. Thanks for the advise, I'm getting a headache just thinking about it all :/

Have you tried to contact the company doing the extermination and let them know your situation? They probably have delt with others in similar situations and could answer your concerns. Hope you are on good terms with landlord.

Have you tried to contact the company doing the extermination and let them know your situation? They probably have delt with others in similar situations and could answer your concerns. Hope you are on good terms with landlord.

Most will give special baggies for items you want to leave in the home, like meds and stuff that you dont want to take to the hotel. A 150gallon salt water is an entirely different story.

Back
Top Bottom