Surgical site not healed; side is open now!

ChameleonMom

Arrggh! So Isis, my female veiled had surgery in December to have a large clutch of eggs removed after she had trouble laying and then she was spayed so she won't lay again. She has recovered fairly well but her incision didn't fuse with the stitches so my vet, when he removed them, glued her incision together which has been holding & healing well, up till today! She had a shed last month and at her surgical site the skin didn't fall off but formed a bit of a hard scab. Today when misting her it looks like she's caught the scab on something and its pulled away from her body leving a bit of a gaping hole through to her insides. Of course I'm extremely concerned as I don't want bacteria or nasty germs getting into the site - so (sigh)....off to the vet we go to see what can be done to fix this!

image.jpg

Good thing you caught it in time...

You may want to throw some neosporin on it for the time being? Just to be sure it doesn't get infected/bacteria.

keep us posted

oh wow!!!! so glad you were there to catch it this fast and get her to the vet..
let us know how the vet visit goes.
keeping you and Isis in my thoughts!!

That is awful. You and your poor girl are having it rough. I hope this time everything is good. We will be waiting to hear.

Just got back from the vet. Isis has indeed opened up her incision and will be spending the day at the vet. Not sure how the vet is gonna fix it as its a pretty big hole but I know she's in great hands. She seemed to be in pain and was pretty dark and 'hissy' but hopefully some pain meds will make her feel better before they fix her up!

My poor little baby! :(

Thanks Laurie, the vet has now decided he will keep her overnite. I haven't spoken to him directly as he was tending to a chicken when I called (?!?) lol....but I know if anything was drastically wrong, he'd call me himself.

So...fingers crossed we get over this new hurdle *sigh* I am thankful I fuss over my chams a lot and caught this quickly!

poor little girl , I hope she does well - like you said, you caught it early,and that will def/ help make a difference
got me fingers XXXXX for you :)

I hope everything goes well and she heals nicely this time around. Hopefully she's not in pain when you go to pick her up. Poor little girl T^T Though I know she's in great hands if you trust this vet with your baby.

Thanks everyone - I appreciate the kind words and best wishes. I am hoping this will be the end of the problems for her - I just want to have her 100% well and then let her sit back and have her Mommy spoil her! It's why we do, right? :)

Just wanted to let everyone know that Isis is home from the vet! She's stitched up again and hopefully this time the skin will fully fuse and we'll be left with just a scar! She's also been put back on 0.1cc's Baytril per day for the next 2 weeks to combat any possible infection from the incision when it re-opened. She's that funny yellow Color (I call it 'vet yellow'!) but she is drinking and has eaten a few crickets and 2 supers. Happy to have her back home!

image.jpg

glad to hear she is home with mommy again!

she looks really happy to be back with you and watching the world go by on the way home from the vet!

please keep us updated on how she's healing up :) sending good healing vibes your way! ;)

Back
Top Bottom